The 'Economy Factor'... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By YamahaParExcellence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

The 'Economy Factor'...

with some recent Yamaha SVTC's new owners getting great price cuts on 2018 SVTC's...well, it's not only with 2018 SVTC's this is happening, with Fall upon us...just look at what prices Honda 2018 GoldWings are being offered for...wow...can you say, Baby Boomers, getting outta the market, Mellenials NOT getting into the market, and just general USA Economy 'jitters' all working for such low discounts in being seen?

I paid only a $1000.00 less than MSRP in Ontario in purchasing my SVTC in October/2017 'on order'....but...I have had a full first season of grand and fabulous touring..with at least two major Sept and early Oct. tour's still planned with the missus...so, I will write that difference between the asking then, and the asking now...as the cost of a good Viking Cruises, trip...but for the whole Summer of 2018. So...no sweat, good value for my $$$.

Here's what Goldwings can be had for...so they are not 'selling' like hot cakes' either it seems. A lot of people are $$$ tapped out....simply that...and the Baby Boomers are (health and fragility) (some, not all yet, lol) are hanging up their Tour Jackets...

https://www.cycletrader.com/Colorado...e%3Aasc&page=1

https://www.cycletrader.com/motorcyc...Venture&page=1

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 09-04-2018 at 12:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:34 PM
KCW

Garage
Im not sure you can lay the price of touring motorcycles at the feet of anyone or anything.

There is a very wide spectrum of motorcycle riders, and touring on a bike like a GW or Venture is at the extreme of one end.

Was looking thru the GW prices on your cycletrader link. Every new car I have ever owned was thousands below $20k, except the last one, which was in the low twenties.

Even at $20k, that is a lot of money for a special-purpose designed motorcycle.

Now I want to see a graph of total number of motorcycle riders/owner by riding style, with motorcross at one end, and continental touring on the other :^)

I would guess the average rider is a weekend warrior.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 12:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Im not sure you can lay the price of touring motorcycles at the feet of anyone or anything.

There is a very wide spectrum of motorcycle riders, and touring on a bike like a GW or Venture is at the extreme of one end.

Was looking thru the GW prices on your cycletrader link. Every new car I have ever owned was thousands below $20k, except the last one, which was in the low twenties.

Even at $20k, that is a lot of money for a special-purpose designed motorcycle.

Now I want to see a graph of total number of motorcycle riders/owner by riding style, with motorcross at one end, and continental touring on the other :^)

I would guess the average rider is a weekend warrior.
Well, KCW, I was merely mentioning the disparity from last Oct/17, and almost Oct/18 in what is being asked for them (SVTC's and GW's). Mostly though, due to demographics, (same for Harley's) it is on most accounts the BabyBoomers that have (or should have...) the house paid off, the kids through school, 401's somewhat healthy, more or so, than those still in their 20/30/40's. I wasn't comparing each and every type of bike demographics out there....only what most SVTC's lookers, tire kickers, and even owners at present, have compared on their 'short lists'...and predominately, those would have been one of three...Yamaha SVTC/ Honda Goldwing/ Harley tour-outfitted. My 'Economy' focused on those...

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 09-04-2018 at 01:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 01:42 PM
KCW

Garage
Thats kinda what i was eluding to: I cant imagine the group of people you are referring to, late 40s to 60s in age, are at that point in their lives and are all tapped out, to where they would not buy another tour bike if they wanted one. Maybe people are a bit freaked out or even depressed by what is going on in the US, and waiting to get that "life is good" feeling back before they lay down another $24k for a motorcycle?

Is that really the major demographic for tour bike sales, retired people?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-04-2018, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Thats kinda what i was eluding to: I cant imagine the group of people you are referring to, late 40s to 60s in age, are at that point in their lives and are all tapped out, to where they would not buy another tour bike if they wanted one. Maybe people are a bit freaked out or even depressed by what is going on in the US, and waiting to get that "life is good" feeling back before they lay down another $24k for a motorcycle?

Is that really the major demographic for tour bike sales, retired people?
KCW, to be brutally honest, in all our eatin' around the table, with my American family and friends, who happen to own motorcycles, what is on their minds, quite frankly, is not discussion of the next 'new' ride...but depressingly, how they are going to afford their yearly Health Insurance premium. Even around a dedicated motorcycle ride between five couples, Our SVTC, two Goldwings (2017 and down), one BMW, 1100 RT, and one Yamaha Tenere Sport, after a few moments after the menus disappeared and the drinks arrived, low and behold, after our friends asking my wife and I, how is our continued journey and ownership of the SVTC, going...where did the conversation lead, after one of the wives, stated: "You guys are set up with your Ontario OHIP cards...but Frank and I, are facing almost $8,000.00 to $12,000 per year for our Health Care plan...and that even has catastrophic (only when the insurer start paying the bills) deductible levels."

Then...the entire conversation was hijacked by how much each and every other couple were going to have to pay, or ARE paying, for their coverage.

Bikes were lost in the foray....

So yes...even with people in the demo to have or should have, most major monthly income payments out of the way...mortgage, car loan, riding lawn mower loan, boat loan...whatever....out of the way...they are still feeling scared to pony up for over $25,000.00 of recreation entertainment....so yes, KCW, most of those four other riding couples were not even entertaining a new motorcycle, or R.V. or boat, or, or...because of the fear what the next 5 years is going to bring...financially as well as health wise. So yes...Economy (how much their investments (nil) are bringing in) and the fact that they are still employed, but near retirement, or are retired, and I tell you that all of our friends had/have professional careers, still, or now retired, so you'd think not cash strapped.

The biggest concern with each and every one of them...is health insurance cost, living in America. That certainly is..as we got an education around THAT dining table at the restaurant...is a 'do-not-pass-Go' element in all their lives, as when looking at recreational endevours. Being that my wife and I only pay $25.00 per month for our OHIP premiums, and have no type of deductible or co-pay with our (O)ntario (H)ealth (I)nsurance (P)lan, was a key factor when deciding that we wanted a new ride. We didn't have the annual health care premium pressure that our friends and family have, living in the States. Economy, and every-day, cost of living...very much these days is a factor on whether you buy a 2018, or you ride a 2008 or older. Very much so, in my opinion. Or...not riding at all.....

Joe
lesblank and CanadianMohawk like this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 09-04-2018 at 04:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode