2018 SVTC vs 08 Wing - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 3 Post By Bucfan11
  • 1 Post By Bucfan11
  • 1 Post By CandyRedVStar

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

2018 SVTC vs 08 Wing

I posted this over on the Wing forum. I am so glad I did not do what I was contemplating as I like this bike more and more everytime I ride it. Someone on here told me that since leaving their Wing the SVTC has made them slow down and smell the roses or should I say "Enjoy the ride". The wife and I have been going for a ride an hour or so before sunset and taking it easy and enjoying the ride. I know understand what he was talking about. Here is the post I put up in the Wing forum:

"I just bought an 18 Yamaha to replace my Wing. Thought I'd share some feelings on it.
First the specs: The Yamaha has more storage than my 08 Wing. The stereo is FANTASTIC, the Wing is not even in the same stadium as the audio sound on this machine. The Yamaha also comes standard with a CB, GPS, Bluetooth, intercom, weather, AUX, XM, AM, FM, and Pandora. It also has a wired 7 pin headset system (HD compatible). It has a power windshield, outside temp display, TPMS, ABS, and a trip computer. Of course cruise control and electric forward and reverse is included. The passenger can control their volume and listen to separate audio sources through the headset. The bike at 60-65 MPH is turning around 2250 RPM.

5 days after buying this I decided it is not for me and called around about trading it but I had to wait for all the purchasing paperwork to be mailed to me before I could trade it. I absolutely hated the air cooled v-twin. It was hot on my leg and felt like a train engine. I could feel the engine when I turned the throttle, it would come to life and you could feel the engine pushing the bike faster and faster. I missed the wonderfully smooth flat 6 that we all love. While I waited for the paperwork, we still rode the bike. I owned a v-twin before and did not remember hating the engine on it. The more I rode it the less I hated it, as the miles piled up it seemed like the left leg heat was less too. The bike handles great, the bumps and potholes are also much easier on me than they were on the Wing. I now have 1700 miles on it and have no intention of trading it. I still like the flat 6 better than the v-2 but that is the only thing I like better on my old Wing. After I get some armrests and highway pegs for the passenger I believe we will be well pleased with the Yamaha. We went on a 150-mile ride today to get tacos and cruising at 60 on the back roads with the engine running a little over idle speed was very enjoyable. I hope my love for this bike continues to grow, it was a rough start. If I had taken a test ride I would have never bought it. I'm thankful now that I didn't.

I think I struggled so much because it had been so long since I had been on a v-twin. I had forgotten how they felt. They are different. Bottom line is if you want a true two-up tourer and have no problem with a v-2, this is the bike for you.
Performance is fine, it's a touring bike. I can pass vehicles by twisting the throttle, I've set the cruise at 90 so it's good enough for me.

PS The headlights are far superior too.
lesblank, GARider and Lonestar like this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

Last edited by Bucfan11; 09-06-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I still like the flat 6 better than the v-2 but that is the only thing I like better on my old Wing.
Bucfan,, THANK YOU for the straight forward thoughts on your new bike, it is greatly appreciated. We have spent some time now on the SVTC (two up - entire day) and are now waiting on the same opportunity on the new Wing and then it's off to the bank..
It would very interesting to hear your take on why you still like the flat 6 better than the V-2, if you would chose to elaborate it would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!!
LoneStar
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-05-2018, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Bucfan,, THANK YOU for the straight forward thoughts on your new bike, it is greatly appreciated. We have spent some time now on the SVTC (two up - entire day) and are now waiting on the same opportunity on the new Wing and then it's off to the bank..
It would very interesting to hear your take on why you still like the flat 6 better than the V-2, if you would chose to elaborate it would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks again for sharing your thoughts!!
LoneStar
A few reasons, first being smoothness. The Wing was just smoother feeling than the v2. As someone said it's the difference between a sailboat and a tractor, with a sailboat you don't really feel what is pushing you but a tractor you feel the engine.
The flat 6 is also quieter which to us is better. We are LD riders, the quitter the better. The exhaust on the v2 has a little noise to it which I know is rider preference.
Heat is another, the flat 6 was out in front of you, the v2 is between your legs.

. With that being said, most of my complaints are rider opinion and the feel of the v2 is growing on me daily, the relaxed low rpm of the bike at speed is better too. The heat is now almost a non issue with the lower air deflectors.
Lonestar likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-16-2018, 08:40 AM

I have a '13 F6B that I bought in '15. My next bike will be a touring bike with a trunk after another couple of seasons on the F6B.

The new Wing and the SVTC are the two on my list, often trading places between #1 and #2.

I prefer the storage and audio/nav/infotainment system on the Yammi, as well as the room for legs and feet. I do not like air-cooled twin and that the tank forces my legs to bow out.

On the Wing, I prefer the DCT, the liquid cooled flat-6, better handling and performance, Apple CarPlay and an airbag if you're willing to spend that much. I do not like the limited storage, lack of legroom, narrower stance.

I would probably have buyers remorse as well with the twin, after having an engine for years that is electric-motor like smooth with abundant thrust, but would get used to its character. Thing is, I wonder if I would miss the power of the Wing. I can easily pass large trucks quickly on two-laners when needed. I also enjoy the handling of my cruiser version of the Wing, which is almost sport-bike like.

I have plenty of time to consider my options, and will wait for both manufacturers to work the bugs out for a few years.
Bucfan11 likes this.

Current Ride: 2013 Honda F6B

Former Rides:
2004 VStar 1100 Classic
2008 VStar 1100 Silverado
1982 Suzuki GS650S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode