IMC Headset - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

Garage
IMC Headset

I like wearing a half helmet. I know it's not the safest, but I like having airflow around my head. So... Using a headset is a bit of a challenge. Many years ago I found an IMC Motorcom headset that worked great with my second gen Venture and my 2008 Goldwing.

Unfortunately, both those bikes use a 5-pin DIN connection. Luckily, IMC sells a 7-pin lower cord. I sent them a note asking some specific details on which 7-pin lower cord would be correct, whether the microphone in the headset was a low or high output, etc. After about a month, and having sent them a couple follow-up reminders with no reply, I decided the bite the bullet and order the Harley lower cord anyways.

It came in Friday, and I got a chance to test it out Saturday. It seems to work - kinda. The speakers work and the microphone seems to work (if you yell into it) sometimes. The only way I could test it was using voice commands.

I know that the J&M headsets have an "...extra-high-output AeroMike® VI boom-style microphone." I'm wondering if that's the difference between the IMC and J&M - the output of the microphone.

I'd be interested to hear from people that have a J&M headset (either through Yamaha or J&M directly) of how well they work.
hunter6462 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:04 PM

Garage
I too wear a half-helmet and have not found anything yet that will allow me to talk on the phone - the wind in the mic is just too much for any set I've tried. I just took to wearing a full helmet with shield when I know I'll be having a conversation on the road. I put my standard iPhone earbuds on, put on the helmet and tuck my mic up inside the chin piece. Haven't had a problem so far! Low tech and cheap, but I don't get to feel the wind...

I'm interested also in how others may have overcome this issue.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-23-2018, 08:52 PM

Garage
I use an Uclear in all my helmets, including a HJC 33 (3/4 helmet), stream music, navigation, intercom and phone calls. Works great at any speed with windshield on and good volume up to about 70 without windshield.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 11:44 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerr View Post
I like wearing a half helmet. I know it's not the safest, but I like having airflow around my head. So... Using a headset is a bit of a challenge. Many years ago I found an IMC Motorcom headset that worked great with my second gen Venture and my 2008 Goldwing.

Unfortunately, both those bikes use a 5-pin DIN connection. Luckily, IMC sells a 7-pin lower cord. I sent them a note asking some specific details on which 7-pin lower cord would be correct, whether the microphone in the headset was a low or high output, etc. After about a month, and having sent them a couple follow-up reminders with no reply, I decided the bite the bullet and order the Harley lower cord anyways.

It came in Friday, and I got a chance to test it out Saturday. It seems to work - kinda. The speakers work and the microphone seems to work (if you yell into it) sometimes. The only way I could test it was using voice commands.

I know that the J&M headsets have an "...extra-high-output AeroMike®️ VI boom-style microphone." I'm wondering if that's the difference between the IMC and J&M - the output of the microphone.

I'd be interested to hear from people that have a J&M headset (either through Yamaha or J&M directly) of how well they work.
The J&M headsets for the SVTC were made to specifically Yamaha’s specifications. You can’t even find the model listed on J&M’s site because it was made FOR Yamaha.
That being said, the sound is superb. The voice clarity while riding and having a phone conversation with someone is that “they couldn’t tell I was riding and talking through a boom mic.” That says something there.
I don’t have to yell at all to use voice commands even while riding.
Just the other day I activated the VOX command and said “next track” while listening to mp3’s On a USB stick. Without hesitation or asking me to “repeat that command” it switched to the next song.
That should tell you enough right there.
No, they aren’t cheap BUT you get what you pay for. Almost $400 a set.

On a side note. If you’re wearing a “half helmet” you might as well wear nothing at all. You’ve got ZERO protection where it’s most needed at the back of your skull.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 09-24-2018 at 11:46 AM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
The J&M headsets for the SVTC were made to specifically Yamaha’s specifications. You can’t even find the model listed on J&M’s site because it was made FOR Yamaha.
That being said, the sound is superb. The voice clarity while riding and having a phone conversation with someone is that “they couldn’t tell I was riding and talking through a boom mic.” That says something there.
Just the other day I activated the VOX command and said “next track” while listening to mp3’s On a USB stick. Without hesitation or asking me to “repeat that command” it switched to the next song.

On a side note. If you’re wearing a “half helmet” you might as well wear nothing at all. You’ve got ZERO protection where it’s most needed at the back of your skull.
Same here...when my wife is talking on the phone..or myself...people are amazed that we are out in the open, riding on a bike...same for our C.B. transmissions by either.

I opted for the Yamaha OEM J&M gear...yes, more expensive...but then, what did I pay for the bike I use them with(?)...same for all the other OEM acc's...
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 01:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:

Same here...when my wife is talking on the phone..or myself...people are amazed that we are out in the open, riding on a bike...same for our C.B. transmissions by either.

I opted for the Yamaha OEM J&M gear...yes, more expensive...but then, what did I pay for the bike I use them with(?)...same for all the other OEM acc's...
It’s a very simple thing much like a home stereo. I can have top of the line amplifier but if I have crappy speakers it’s still gonna sound like a crappy system. Why skimp?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It’s a very simple thing much like a home stereo. I can have top of the line amplifier but if I have crappy speakers it’s still gonna sound like a crappy system. Why skimp?
EXACTLY, Tony...you pony up for the bike...and then skimp around, on the acc's or the life blood oil going into that 1854?!? Sometimes I read that...yeah..I went to WalMart..and got xxxx for 2/3 the price of YamaLube xxxx. Really? Ok...but I didn't get 2/3rds off the engine cost intrinsic in my motorcycle...nope. Going with liquid gold, all the time...thereafter.

Tony..at the dealership going Eastward bound last weekend, as we came out of the dealership, a guy and gal, were looking over our bike. Well...24.6 minutes later...yeah..yeah....but my wife liked the other gal..so they talked what the co-rider would find new and interesting...and I put on a USB Doobie Brother's at volume 5, had him stick his head down over my saddle position where his ears would be actually sitting on the bike...and was in Quad mode. You should have looked at the face he made...he looked like a Cod fish...gaping and gasping. He called his wife over, and we did the same head position...but at level 3...and she did the great imitation of a Cod Fish, herself. I can only imagine what bike they might opened up discussion with, on their wish to deal at the end of the riding season...as I backed out...and pulled away...she (my wife) waved to the gal watching us (inside the front door) doing that...so...I'll bet you anything, a new '19 is going to be ordered. Again...the proprietary Dual Zone once more...totally resonated with that man's wife. Oh...they had an FJR, but wanted now to go full out, dedicated luxury Tour. I told him...that he will be quite surprised that he just might find, he GOT a somewhat larger 'Sport'/Tour. He said the "handling is that good?" "Yep....you'll find out...". They went into the dealership, and we got to getting to her sister's place. BTW, had a great time...as always.

Joe
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2018, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have had a couple of J&M headset for previous bikes. It wasn't the cost that made me switch to IMC, but the helmet connections. J&M has two types of connections to the helmet:

One is a right-angle connection.

The other is an in-line connection.

The first headset I purchased was for a Suzuki Cavalcade and came with the right angle connector. They didn't have separate lower cords at that time, so when I traded the Cavalcade for a second gen Venture, it wouldn't swap over. Being happy with the previous headset, I purchased another. This one came with an in-line connector. This headset gave me nothing but problems. The end of the cord plugged into the helmet was held in place by a little rubber tab. While riding, bumps and wind would cause the cord to swing around, loosening the electrical connection at the helmet and causing intermittent drop outs, which is REALLY annoying on a long trip.

Not wanting to drop more $ on a headset with a bad design, I looked for alternatives, found IMC and decided to give it a try. I found that the sound and build quality was as good as the J&M for less money. Later I realized that J&M has two lines, and that if I had purchased the Elite line the second time, I maybe wouldn't have had the connection problem, although a couple that I ride with are currently having the same problem with J&M connectors (not sure if it's at the helmet or the lower cord), and they have the Elite headsets.

I gotta admit. Some of the comments above made me chuckle. I ask how well the J&M headset works, and I get judgemental comments that I'm cheap and buy inferior products. I thought you had to go to Facebook for comments like that. After my second experience with J&M I felt it was a matter of throwing good money after bad to purchase yet another product that (in my experience) was of poor quality.

I realize that times change (this all happened in the "aughts"), and have seen positive comments about J&M in the past few years. That's why I wanted some feedback from people's personal experience on how well the headset works.
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2018, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortimerr View Post
I have had a couple of J&M headset for previous bikes. It wasn't the cost that made me switch to IMC, but the helmet connections. J&M has two types of connections to the helmet:

One is a right-angle connection.

The other is an in-line connection.

The first headset I purchased was for a Suzuki Cavalcade and came with the right angle connector. They didn't have separate lower cords at that time, so when I traded the Cavalcade for a second gen Venture, it wouldn't swap over. Being happy with the previous headset, I purchased another. This one came with an in-line connector. This headset gave me nothing but problems. The end of the cord plugged into the helmet was held in place by a little rubber tab. While riding, bumps and wind would cause the cord to swing around, loosening the electrical connection at the helmet and causing intermittent drop outs, which is REALLY annoying on a long trip.

Not wanting to drop more $ on a headset with a bad design, I looked for alternatives, found IMC and decided to give it a try. I found that the sound and build quality was as good as the J&M for less money. Later I realized that J&M has two lines, and that if I had purchased the Elite line the second time, I maybe wouldn't have had the connection problem, although a couple that I ride with are currently having the same problem with J&M connectors (not sure if it's at the helmet or the lower cord), and they have the Elite headsets.

I gotta admit. Some of the comments above made me chuckle. I ask how well the J&M headset works, and I get judgemental comments that I'm cheap and buy inferior products. I thought you had to go to Facebook for comments like that. After my second experience with J&M I felt it was a matter of throwing good money after bad to purchase yet another product that (in my experience) was of poor quality.

I realize that times change (this all happened in the "aughts"), and have seen positive comments about J&M in the past few years. That's why I wanted some feedback from people's personal experience on how well the headset works.
Times have not changed for J&M. They make CHEAP LOW-QUALITY products and sell them for a very expensive price. I would have to replace lower cords on my two previous J&M sets literally after hours of use. I bought one lower in South Dakota (I think) and went straight home to Florida, somewhere around Alabama the cord went out. I will do without before J&M gets any more of my money. Yamaha will hurt its reputation using their garbage. I bought a complete HD set for far, far less. It works good.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
Times have not changed for J&M. They make CHEAP LOW-QUALITY products and sell them for a very expensive price. I would have to replace lower cords on my two previous J&M sets literally after hours of use. I bought one lower in South Dakota (I think) and went straight home to Florida, somewhere around Alabama the cord went out. I will do without before J&M gets any more of my money. Yamaha will hurt its reputation using their garbage. I bought a complete HD set for far, far less. It works good.
I/We have every lower cord, as well as two past head set systems from J&M... for both my wife and myself, and have never had a failure of any component over the years, over all our Wing model years that would require them....through hundreds of hours of continuous use. That suggests to me...in how they are being used and treated by individuals. Whether they (the cords and sets used for them) are pulled by the twists when coming on or off...whether they are carefully pin-matched as the male and female leads are lined up to connect to each other over the bike port, whether the Co-Rider on both the Honda GoldWing as well as the Yamaha SVTC, or Harley, purchased the lower extension cord needed for the Passenger saddle position, was purchased and in use......all of that.

I do not find them cheap or of inferior quality at all. Not once has any lower twirl cords of EITHER my wife, or myself have...at any time through present or past riding years,....not worked,....transmitted any signal asked of them....and the same can be stated since May for the lower 5 pin cords purchased through Yamaha Canada, (both my lower 5 pin, and my wife's lower 5 pin and 5 pin extension cord that is also needed with the SVTC, as well as was needed for all our GoldWings, so the lower cords on the Co-Rider use, would not be constantly taut, and pulling/yanking in the wind or by the stretch from the co-rider's helmet port down to the bike's port, both GoldWing and Yamaha SVTC/Eluder....(you MUST also use the lower extension cord, or you chance owner abuse failure!) that were needed to be purchased, as our still working cords sets for the GoldWing had to be retired to the drawer...(working...)

So...to myself...theses kinds of posts that state J&M lower cord and microphone/headphone set products, are 'cheaply made' and 'garbage' with repeated purchase failures by one making the post...only speaks to rough handling, and careless matching of pin to port as the male and female ends of the cords are being pushed into each other with each succeeding ride, and saddle mount and dismount, by the owners making such claims, or the not purchase and use by the Co-Rider, for the extension lower cord, to make ample slack and avoid damage by not having needed slack for that saddle position.

That is my opinion....

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 09-30-2018 at 06:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode