The dark side of 'Dark Siding'.....caution.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 09-30-2018, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

The dark side of 'Dark Siding'.....caution....

If you decide to Dark Side your SVTC rear tire....hopefully, you will find a car tire mounter (for no motorcycle dealer will do this for reasons of legal liability) that will not destroy your air pressure sensors upon your SVTC rim. They (like Walmart, as an example, possible re and re source) will not know how to dismount and mount a tire with keeping their tire mounting machine and shims, not destroying your sensor pods. Be careful....and I'd check with my motorcycle insurer...for I just bet, they will NOT have to pay out, or insure/underwrite your legal liabilities to another, should you put a car tire on your bike...an action, that is not approved by any motorcycle manufacturer to do so, as a replacement for the OEM tire.

I don't know...for a fact, but I'll bet, that in doing so,...will void your insurance, should you wipe out, or have the tire come apart and/or delaminate, and destroy any part of your motorcycle. I'd also check to see, that if you Dark Side, and cause injury to another, yourself, your passenger, any that you might cause personal injury and/or death to, as a result of mounting a tire not designed for motorcycle applications....will you be covered by your motorcycle insurer, for all damages and medical/wrongful death lawsuit claims enacted against you? I'd do that, before I even went shopping for a car tire, run upon a motorcycle.

Seeking extended tire wear, (by 'Dark Siding') might in the long run,...be the most expensive thing, and an act of personal financial ruin, you have ever afflicted yourself with....

Check out your legal liabilities and your insurance-status, before Dark Siding, and totally before you lay a wrench to the back axle....

The smart rider, not wishing to shoot themselves in the foot,....will do so!
KCW and CanadianMohawk like this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 09-30-2018 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:25 AM
KCW

Garage
42nd verse
same as the first
a little bit louder
a little bit worse...
CanadianMohawk likes this.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 05:31 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
42nd verse
same as the first
a little bit louder
a little bit worse...
Pardon? And this reply means what?

Some riders who are tempted to Dark Side their ride...or even have Dark Sided their ride....are tempted by the chance of riding more miles upon a cheaper tire not built for the intended purpose. It can seem a 'wise' and frugal decision, right up to the very minute that choice causes non-reversible loss of property, loss of health, loss of life. Loss of financial security, with pending lawsuits brought against you....

'a little bit worse'...? No my friend...a hell of a lot worse....for the decision...right up to the very minute it goes to s*it.....at the side of the road/highway, with cop light's flashing off of what's left of your chrome, first responders light's flashing off the same, and the following weeks later (if you survive) sitting beside your lawyer, with the lights of the courtroom shining down upon the both of you.

The sounds of silence as the Court comes to order,...can be the 'loud part' of your verse response, with no ringing of the phone coming ever, from the motorcycle insurance underwriter agent...answering your first call to them...for they have access to the first responder police officers at scene, having taken pictures of your bike with the car tire installed, and what's left of it...BEFORE you get a chance (if in fact, you are still alive to try it...) to remove it off of your bike, as some think they can do...after the fact. Gambling with your life, and the life of your co-rider, as well as other users of the road,...and for what? A couple of hundred dollars more cost to put a proper and purpose-built tire on a vehicle that is already 40 times more dangerous to operate than a car, truck, or van...WITH a proper purpose-rated and carcass built tire on the front and back?!?!

A rider has to ask themselves, how much is my life worth, for myself and my co-rider, as well as anyone else, my decision might impact running the 'Dark Side'.....
I would hope, that they feel their life, and the life of their co-rider, (usually their wife or husband) and retainment of good health and continued Life, for both, is----> WORTH a couple of hundred dollars more...than the cost of running the Dark Side, when tires are needed to be replaced. I would hope so.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Readers need a warning of the Dark Side of Dark Siding....when the topic threads appears at times on different forums, when the glint of a few thousand more miles, blinds their eyes...

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 10-01-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I know, KCW...the song can be sung...right up until the time, ...the tire blows/delaminates...the bike skids out of control...the riders get ejected onto the highway,....and the singing stops....usually quite abruptly... Yep...the day, the 'music' died....yep.

Cheers,

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 10-01-2018 at 07:29 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:36 AM
KCW

Garage
No you dont quite see the humor in the situation.

When people hear about motorcycle riders putting car tires on their bikes, they get very emotional and passionate about the darkside. It sounds like you have just been baptized into the faith.

The arguments for and against are always the same. The debates and yelling are always the same.

In the end nothing is resolved. No one can point to one case where a car tire on a motorcycle has actually failed and caused an accident. No one can point to one case where an insurance company refused to honor a policy because of a car tire on a motorcycle. In this variation I really cannot imagine someone buying a new $20,000 Venture bike, and sneaking into a back ally motorcycle shop to have 6 finger Jim put a car tire on his new motorcycle.

I apologize for giving into the humor of your post, the topic really is like a black hole, you look at it and you get sucked in and never come out. Its not your fault.

But like the camp fire song that cub scouts sing, it really is funny how it happens continuously, and there is no end to it.

Nothing personal. I do appreciate your compassion and concern for other riders.

Last edited by KCW; 10-01-2018 at 07:45 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
No you dont quite see the humor in the situation.

When people hear about motorcycle riders putting car tires on their bikes, they get very emotional and passionate about the darkside. It sounds like you have just been baptized into the faith.

The arguments for and against are always the same. The debates and yelling are always the same.

In the end nothing is resolved. No one can point to one case where a car tire on a motorcycle has actually failed and caused an accident. No one can point to one case where an insurance company refused to honor a policy because of a car tire on a motorcycle.

I apologize for giving into the humor of your post, the topic really is like a black hole, you look at it and you get sucked in and never come out. Its not your fault.

But like the camp fire song that cub scouts sing, it really is funny how it happens continuously.

Nothing personal. I thought we just had one of these threads a few months ago.
My post was prompted by reading of another member here...upon another site, that is now seriously thinking of putting a car tire upon his SVTC. He's a nice guy...and just wanted him to think...seriously think about it. There is no motorcycle dealer that will even perform a re and re, no doubt because of legal liability in doing so. I am going, out of sheer curiosity, to call a few motorcycle insurance agents representing at least three insurance companies, here in Ontario...and put it right to them...in asking, can I install a car tire, a tire upon my motorcycle that is not duty-rated, or carcass purposed, for such installations...and if it fails...and causes damage, or 3rd party loss of life, loss of life to the riders, or any level of medical emergency...WILL THEY cover all liabilities?

I honestly can not believe that there is no case law, of motorcycle insurers, having to still pick up the liabilities, upon the insured, even if the insured knowingly puts on a tire, not purpose-rated, not recommended, or approved for use, by any motorcycle manufacturer....and I personally know of a couple (with trailer, with dark siding) that died en-route to a Wing Ding...(it was announced what had happened to warn all other attendees), back in 2000. I am not 'new' to Dark Siding. I know of the death of a couple of Wingers...who Dark Sided, so...your conjectures KCW, is off....I can't say, right now...until I call around about the legal liabilities at risk to the owner, in regards to staying insured...but I absolutely know...that Dark Siding, can kill you and your co-rider. There is one less GoldWing couple, riding today...and have been in their graves, since 2000.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 10-01-2018 at 08:29 AM.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:07 AM
KCW

Garage
Im sure there have been many people injured or killed while riding with a car tire on a motorcycle.

The practice tends to appeal to riders with big/heavy bikes, riding two up, sometimes pulling a trailer, and riding long distances. All of those things increase the risk level of riding.

If you can find some documentation that states the cause of their accident was the car tire, you will be the first.

BTW, honda and yamaha both state plainly in their manuals that none of their motorcycles are designed to pull a trailer. The MSF recommends you do not attach a trailer to your motorcycle.

I have seen photos of your GW pulling a trailer. Its all a matter of perspective. There is no right or wrong answer, just a gradient of risks.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 08:20 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Im sure there have been many people injured or killed while riding with a car tire on a motorcycle.

The practice tends to appeal to riders with big/heavy bikes, riding two up, sometimes pulling a trailer, and riding long distances. All of those things increase the risk level of riding.

If you can find some documentation that states the cause of their accident was the car tire, you will be the first.

BTW, honda and yamaha both state plainly in their manuals that none of their motorcycles are designed to pull a trailer. The MSF recommends you do not attach a trailer to your motorcycle.

I have seen photos of your GW pulling a trailer. Its all a matter of perspective. There is no right or wrong answer, just a gradient of risks.
On all of the above stated, no contest...except for your absolution (and personal viewpoint to date) that no coroner's report, or police report, in-field, stated that the use of a non-authorized tire-carcass type, by manufacturers of all types of motorcycles, did NOT lead as a major or dominant cause to the crash accident, and liability of loss of life or limb. I am certainly now, going to enact some due diligence on this topic...as well as talk to a few of my friends, who are police officers, mainly posted with the O.P.P. of Ontario.

Same goes obviously for attaching a trailer to a motorcycle that clearly was not designed for pulling a load behind the motorcycle, as you KCW, accurately state!

So...I now have an interesting and engaging search for such documentation, as well as a few chats that's going to get 'chatted' with my O.P.P. buds...and see what slaps up against the 'concrete highway wall barrier'...so to speak.

Post Edit: KCW, it wasn't any of my 5 GoldWings that you saw pulling a trailer. I have never attached, and pulled a trailer or any other contrivance aft of my rear tire. You might be thinking of Rob (bucfan11)...the owner of a white 2008 GW. Yes...he has pulled a trailer, and has already engaged in Dark Siding, as per his posting of that fact.

Cheers,

Joe
KCW likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 10-01-2018 at 01:08 PM.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 10-01-2018, 03:23 PM
KCW

Garage
you are correct, it was Bucfan11

its hard to tell all you SVTC riders apart, after a while you all sound the same :^)

Yamaha Pat likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 10-01-2018 at 03:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode