3M Clear Film Paint Protection - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes
  • 3 Post By American
  • 1 Post By American

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

3M Clear Film Paint Protection

Here is a short video showing some areas that may receive wear to the paint and a solution to stop paint damage/wear. I used 3M Bumper/Bra clear film on the areas in the video.

https://youtu.be/p9fWPfE6sFc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 10:34 AM

Garage
How much did you have to buy to cover the areas?

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

You can purchase a one foot by two foot piece kit with everything you need to cover all the areas I showed in the video.

When you apply it use soapy water spraying the surface and the sticky side of the 3M film, you will have to work the film around the curves but as the water is worked out from under the film it will conform and stick to the compound curves of the fuel tank and side covers.

Just take your time and keep working the film with the supplied squeegee. Make yourself some templates from paper to cut the film in the size and shape you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 12:19 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
You can purchase a one foot by two foot piece kit with everything you need to cover all the areas I showed in the video.

When you apply it use soapy water spraying the surface and the sticky side of the 3M film, you will have to work the film around the curves but as the water is worked out from under the film it will conform and stick to the compound curves of the fuel tank and side covers.

Just take your time and keep working the film with the supplied squeegee. Make yourself some templates from paper to cut the film in the size and shape you need.
What is the biggest piece you applied?

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 05:06 PM Thread Starter

Largest pieces were 7 inch wide by 6 inch high on the front of the saddle bags. The two side covers are smaller pieces, the fuel tank are kind of a modified triangle and the top of the trunk is just a small piece. You could buy two kits just to have enough in case you decide to redo a piece.

I cut out two different pieces for each side of the rear of the fuel tank to get it the way I wanted. I recommend the fuel tank pieces be cut to 8 inches long for coverage of the pants legs where they contact the fuel tank.

Here is a short Video trying to show the outlines of the 3M Clear Film, I also tried to show how you will have to apply the film, remember to use soapy water on both the paint and the back of 3M film and work the water out, the 3M clear film will start to adhere to the paint as the soapy water is worked out from behind the film, you will have to work the film on the tank and the side covers were there are curves, the fuel tank is the hardest but even the two fuel tank pieces only took a few minutes to apply.

This is a new video I just shot for this answer.

https://youtu.be/69FyVALPp_E
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by American; 10-25-2018 at 05:11 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 06:26 PM

Here, all of you go.....installation video....even smaller sections would be a snap...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode