Sooner or later I guess it can happen (and did) - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

Sooner or later I guess it can happen (and did)

Great 3 days of riding in the Blue Ridge mountains Sun-Tues. First extended time in the saddle with 5-6 hours each day, which is a lot for me and the wife. Yesterday, as we were coming out of the hotel parking lot to start our ride, I stopped on the very steep hotel driveway to check for traffic on the busy main road...and over we went. The driveway sloped down and also to my right, but I didn't realize how much to the right. I felt it start leaning and tried to counter it, but gravity and 1350 lbs won. Wife and I were fine, though my pride in never having dropped a road bike in 20+ years of riding was crushed, lol (dirt bikes don't count - dropped plenty of those, including one on my leg). I was amazed at how it really doesn't go over that far (45-50 degrees as advertised) and even more impressed at how there was NO visible damage. It was also fairly easy to put back upright. I will be a lot more attentive about road slope, fore/aft and side/side from now on. Despite that, had a great day and marveled at how well it handles in some very tight twists and turns! One thing - the bike shut off (due to fuel not making it to the engine I guess?) and would not restart until I cycled the switch to off and then back to ON.

Also, since this was our first cool weather riding, I learned that the seat and grip heaters will set you on fire if you don't lower the settings. I also learned that the engine heat is not even noticeable in temps below 70. Can't wait to do some more fall and winter riding.

All in all a great 3 days, drop not withstanding.
KCW likes this.

Last edited by akf15e; 10-24-2018 at 07:32 AM. Reason: random picture link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-23-2018, 08:27 PM

Garage
Glad y'all are OK. That's the main thing. I sometimes need a close call to keep me from getting too comfortable. Also great news how it only goes so far over, pretty easy to upright and no damage. Looks like Yamaha really did their homework on this bike.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:09 AM
KCW

Garage
I got a bit overconfident on the Royal Star I bought last month and dropped it in a U turn on a somewhat gravelly road. Same situation: crash bar protected the bike like magic.

Only thing that got dented was my ego.

Watching where you stop and where you park is one of those extra things on motorcycles that you dont have to think about in a car. There are definitely motorcycle traps everywhere just waiting for a rider to pull up, stop, and try to put his foot down.

Also I dont know about your Venture, but I have realized my royal star is wider than my 650, and my legs are out at more of an angle when I stop.

Last edited by KCW; 10-24-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 09:48 AM

Garage
Glad yall are okay. Where did you ride up here in the mountains?? It's beautiful right now. Cold but beautiful. Had to scrape the ice off my seat this morning. Don't let it hurt your ego, funny story, I dropped my bike turning into the DMV the day I got my license. Everyone does it at some point, unfortunately.
lesblank likes this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-24-2018, 08:43 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf15e View Post
Great 3 days of riding in the Blue Ridge mountains Sun-Tues. First extended time in the saddle with 5-6 hours each day, which is a lot for me and the wife. Yesterday, as we were coming out of the hotel parking lot to start our ride, I stopped on the very steep hotel driveway to check for traffic on the busy main road...and over we went. The driveway sloped down and also to my right, but I didn't realize how much to the right. I felt it start leaning and tried to counter it, but gravity and 1350 lbs won. Wife and I were fine, though my pride in never having dropped a road bike in 20+ years of riding was crushed, lol (dirt bikes don't count - dropped plenty of those, including one on my leg). I was amazed at how it really doesn't go over that far (45-50 degrees as advertised) and even more impressed at how there was NO visible damage. It was also fairly easy to put back upright. I will be a lot more attentive about road slope, fore/aft and side/side from now on. Despite that, had a great day and marveled at how well it handles in some very tight twists and turns! One thing - the bike shut off (due to fuel not making it to the engine I guess?) and would not restart until I cycled the switch to off and then back to ON.

Also, since this was our first cool weather riding, I learned that the seat and grip heaters will set you on fire if you don't lower the settings. I also learned that the engine heat is not even noticeable in temps below 70. Can't wait to do some more fall and winter riding.

All in all a great 3 days, drop not withstanding.
Glad you & the bike are ok. I reported before about my own completely un-impeded fall of my bike to the right side with ZERO damage.
They did design it well!
As far as WHY the bike shut off, it’s not a gas issue. This unit has a “TIP OVER” switch that shuts the bike off if lean angle goes beyond a know set riding angle. It’s a safety feature. And yes, all you need to do is cycle power and she’ll start right back up.
Wish I knew you were gonna be in the Blue Ridge, I could’ve met up with you since it’s not that far from me. Well, maybe next time!
KCW and akf15e like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittct View Post
Glad yall are okay. Where did you ride up here in the mountains?? It's beautiful right now. Cold but beautiful. Had to scrape the ice off my seat this morning. Don't let it hurt your ego, funny story, I dropped my bike turning into the DMV the day I got my license. Everyone does it at some point, unfortunately.
Britt - had planned on riding around Boone, but due to losing a day for work and the mini-cold snap, we opted to go up near Martinsville, VA. From eastern NC (Goldsboro), it's actually closer to get to the BRP in VA than in NC. The roads around Boone are better, IMO though. Also, I almost dropped my old V-Star on day 1 many years ago - barely saved it.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I got a bit overconfident on the Royal Star I bought last month and dropped it in a U turn on a somewhat gravelly road. Same situation: crash bar protected the bike like magic.

Only thing that got dented was my ego.

Watching where you stop and where you park is one of those extra things on motorcycles that you dont have to think about in a car. There are definitely motorcycle traps everywhere just waiting for a rider to pull up, stop, and try to put his foot down.

Also I dont know about your Venture, but I have realized my royal star is wider than my 650, and my legs are out at more of an angle when I stop.
I agree. Though the SVTC is very well balanced and the low seat height is ideal for my 5'9" frame, I do notice a bit wider stance for me. I attribute this drop to not paying as close attention as I should. Good to get reminded once in a while to pay attention 100% of the time.
lesblank likes this.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:24 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by akf15e View Post
Britt - had planned on riding around Boone, but due to losing a day for work and the mini-cold snap, we opted to go up near Martinsville, VA. From eastern NC (Goldsboro), it's actually closer to get to the BRP in VA than in NC. The roads around Boone are better, IMO though. Also, I almost dropped my old V-Star on day 1 many years ago - barely saved it.
Let me know next time you are up here. We can definitely get up and ride a little. I can always skip a few classes I have a lot of family around Goldsboro and Princeton.
akf15e likes this.

Appalachian State Student Double Finance Major
2001 Vstar 650 custom
Custom paint
16" apes
Ride to live
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-25-2018, 08:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Glad you & the bike are ok. I reported before about my own completely un-impeded fall of my bike to the right side with ZERO damage.
They did design it well!
As far as WHY the bike shut off, it’s not a gas issue. This unit has a “TIP OVER” switch that shuts the bike off if lean angle goes beyond a know set riding angle. It’s a safety feature. And yes, all you need to do is cycle power and she’ll start right back up.
Wish I knew you were gonna be in the Blue Ridge, I could’ve met up with you since it’s not that far from me. Well, maybe next time!
Chief - I do remember you saying you were out near the BRP. However, we opted to head much further north to shorten the trip out and maximize time riding the mountains, even if they are less impressive than the higher elevations out in western NC. Did find some great back roads north and west of Martinsville VA though. We'll definitely be out your way in the spring, so we will have to meet up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-26-2018, 04:43 AM

Garage
"Can't wait to do some more fall and winter riding."

No. No more "fall" riding. Just do some Autumn riding.
lesblank, wimg and akf15e like this.

For mad scientists who keep brains in jars, here’s a tip: why not add a slice of lemon to each jar, for freshness?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode