Blackstone Laboratories Used Oil Report 4000 Mile Run - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

Blackstone Laboratories Used Oil Report 4000 Mile Run

I changed the oil at 12,000 miles this run was for the full 4,000 interval. I sent my third oil sample to Blackstone Laboratories and this is the result.

Oil brand: Redline 10w-40 Synthetic motorcycle oil

Oil use interval: 4,000 miles

Unit: Engine Yamaha 1854cc V-Twin

Comments: Bill, This is an excellent third report for your Yamaha. You've run this oil longer than the first two samples, and wear held steady. That's excellent - it means you're getting less metal per mile. Not all engines wear exactly like average, and this case yours is better than most. You've got good averages established for the engine, those numbers in the unit/location column compare quite well against the universal averages. The oil is holding up well too, with a very strong TBN reading of 8.3. No fuel or water showed up, & the viscosity is fine for a 10w-40 oil.

Miles on oil: 4,000

Miles on unit: 12,000

Sample Date: 11/03/18

Make Up Oil Added: 0

Elements in parts per million

Aluminum 5 Universal Average 7

Chromium 0 Universal Average 0

Iron 5 Universal Average 12

Copper 2 Universal Average 7

Lead 0 Universal Average 1

Tin 0 Universal Average 1

Molybdenum 543 Universal Average 77

Nickel 1 Universal Average 1

Manganese 0 Universal Average 1

Silver 0 Universal Average 0

Titanium 0 Universal Average 0

Potassium 0 Universal Average 2

Boron 14 Universal Average 76

Silicon 13 Universal Average 10

Sodium 9 Universal Average 55

Calcium 2980 Universal Average 2521

Magnesium 7 Universal Average 182

Phosphorus 1748 Universal Average 1213

Zinc 1946 Universal Average 1410

Barium 1 Universal Average 1

SUS Viscosity @ 210F 73.1 Values should be 65-76

cSt Viscosity @ 100C 13.77 Values should be 11.6-14.8

Flashpoint in F 430 Values should be >375

Fuel % <0.5 Values should be <2.0

Antifreeze % 0 Values should be 0

Water % 0.0 Values should be <0.1

Insolubles % 0.1 Values should be <0.6

TBN 8.3 Values should be >1.0
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by American; 11-07-2018 at 04:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

I used Redline 20w-50 motorcycle oil in my 2016 Harley Davidson Twin Cool Twin Cam 103 and got similar results with the Harleys engine wear lower than the universal averages, I am seeing the same trend using Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in this Yamaha air cooled V-Twin.

This is an excellent testimonial for the quality of the Redline oils.

I highly recommend using Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in this Yamaha 1854cc V-Twin air cooled engine. My Blackstone Laboratory used oil reports show the quality of the Redline products, this is hard data not just an opinion.
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 05:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I used Redline 20w-50 motorcycle oil in my 2016 Harley Davidson Twin Cool Twin Cam 103 and got similar results with the Harleys engine wear lower than the universal averages, I am seeing the same trend using Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in this Yamaha air cooled V-Twin.

This is an excellent testimonial for the quality of the Redline oils.

I highly recommend using Redline 10w-40 motorcycle oil in this Yamaha 1854cc V-Twin air cooled engine. My Blackstone Laboratory used oil reports show the quality of the Redline products, this is hard data not just an opinion.
I’m running YamaLube 15w-50 full synthetic right now, but only 1k miles to go before 16k oil change is due. I fully plan on giving Redline a try. Hope it’s not too pricey. I don’t know if anyone around me who carries it, so I’ll probably have to order it online.
Is that what you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Those wanting to use Redline oil will likely have to purchase it online, my former go to site was RacerPartsWholesale but the owner retired and closed up the business, my last purchase was from Summit Racing Equipment and the cost was $14.20 a quart.

I bought up as much as I could from RPW as they had dropped the price down to $10.47 a quart so I bought a couple of cases while they still had it in stock.

My engine does not use any oil but those who want could purchase an extra quart to carry with them but I have never found the need to add oil to any of my motorcycles between oil changes.

I currently have enough Redline 10w-40 for another seven oil changes and I bought Yamaha oil filters on line to go with the oil from Cucamonga Yamaha.

You can use this link at Redline Oil to find retail dealers and online retailers.

https://www.redlineoil.com/where-to-buy/dealers

Last edited by American; 11-07-2018 at 06:30 PM.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-07-2018, 06:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Those wanting to use Redline oil will likely have to purchase it online, my former go to site was RacerPartsWholesale but the owner retired and closed up the business, my last purchase was from Summit Racing Equipment and the cost was $14.20 a quart.

I bought up as much as I could from RPW as they had dropped the price down to $10.47 a quart so I bought a couple of cases while they still had it in stock.

My engine does not use any oil but those who want could purchase an extra quart to carry with them but I have never found the need to add oil to any of my motorcycles between oil changes.

I currently have enough Redline 10w-40 for another seven oil changes and I bought Yamaha oil filters on line to go with the oil from Cucamonga Yamaha.

You can use this link at Redline Oil to find retail dealers and online retailers.

https://www.redlineoil.com/where-to-buy/dealers
Thanks Bill.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-08-2018, 01:04 PM

American or anyone here on the forum, has anyone sent in just a sample of new oil straight from the container, not use in any way from any of the mention oil types to see what the levels are as a baseline?
I didn't see any post from this group. If there was please repost.
Regards.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 07:14 AM

Just my two cents. I am a Castro oil user since the late 60's and never had any issues. After 30,000 miles on one of my cars with the 20/50 Castro oil, I did engine improvements. The was not even a hint of sludge anywhere. Now getting to Yamalube. The dealer here in Jacksonville, Florida told me and showed me paperwork that if you use Yamalube and a Yamaha Oil Filter at every scheduled change and something bad happens to your engine oil related within the 100,000 mile mark, Yamaha will fix the issue free of charge. The way they would know if you used their product is you must go to their web site and log in the information on the receipt as well as the receipt number. I'm just saying. It hurts me to change my oil preference but I also do not want to void the warranty. On the other hand, this is such a well made and proven engine that what are the chances of something bad happening before 100,000 miles? I have heard of people going strong at 200,000 miles.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 09:16 AM
KCW

Garage
Is it just the Eluder and new Venture that has a 100,000 mile warranty on the engine, for an unlimited number of years?

My bikes are over 14 years old, the manual says the warranty is for one year, and for the emissions/exhaust system 5 years, 30km.

I know you can get a multi year service contract that is like an extended warranty, but you are going to pay more than it would normally cost to maintain your motorcycle.

If they are giving away a 100,000 mile engine warranty on these two bikes that is impressive.

Also read the clause: ANY engine modifications voids the warranty.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 10:32 AM

I can only quote what I mentioned in my post about the 2018 Eluder which is what I purchased. I'm sure it includes the Venture and might even include all Yamaha bikes. Like I said, I saw this warranty in black and white after my dealer mentioned it to me. If they are putting out a 100,000 mile warranty for using their oil and filter, I will and have switched from my faithful Castrol to Yamalube.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-13-2018, 04:02 PM
KCW

Garage
I dont know what to make of this.

The terms of the warranty are written in the owners manual. You should also get a copy of the warranty that applies to your vehicle when you purchase it.

The manual states that no other warranties implied or expressed are in effect.

Motor vehicle manufacturers have been beaten to death over issues of what oil to use to keep your warranty valid. The SAE requirements are called out in the manual, they cannot void or limit your warranty if you use someone else's oil in your engine, so I dont see how they can give you an extended free warranty if you use their oil for every change.

If you dont have a copy of a 100,000 mile warranty, you dont have it.
Yamaha Pat likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode