Let me introduce, the one model year, wonder, lol----> - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 01:30 PM Thread Starter

Let me introduce, the one model year, wonder, lol---->

He sounds so proud, Mr. Bayliss, in his detailed and excellent product description, and walk-through of the 2018 Yamaha Star Venture Trans Continental.......so, ...--->what happened? Six (6) month delay to deliver, in the dead of Winter------> happened....

Was this truly fabulous, Grand Touring bike, itself, and its feature list, a 'meaningful, introduction year, sales number' failure? Nope...it was Yamaha's bringing it to market 'FAILURE'..... ***it was that***,....plain and simple...:

I'd like to contact John Bayliss, (or Baylis)----> Product Manager for Yamaha Canada, ...and hear his take, on Yamaha bailing after one model year....yep, that could be an interesting phone call.....

Yamaha USA/CAN, basically has shown you, how a multi-billion $$$ motorcycle company, can pick up a marketing 'shotgun', and take off, both their two feet....classic....simply....classic. Class dismissed........

Obituary: The 2018 Star Venture Trans Continental
Born: June 1, 2018
Died: Jan 1/2019

R.I.P.

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 11-11-2018 at 05:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM

Don't know what to tell you Mr. Excellence. I did a quick google search asking the simple question of: is star yamaha making a 2019 Venture and actually got one response that sounded positive in that it stated there was going to be a new "S" model introduced sometime this fall,, sounded promising.. The only problem was, that post was dated in the summer of 2017 according to google and I didn't click on it to see who wrote it (I dont make a habit of clicking on posts that dont seem to make sense, I am always afraid of my computer getting zapped or something). On the other hand, if you go to the factory website of Yamahamotorsports.com and search "touring" it shows, as you mention, no 2019's when the rest of the categories are all showing new 2019 models..
I know you are riding one of those gorgeous new scoots and should have a reliable contact number laying around for Star? It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say if asked about this by someone who has already invested deeply in this product.
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!
Elk likes this.
post #3 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 05:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
Don't know what to tell you Mr. Excellence. I did a quick google search asking the simple question of: is star yamaha making a 2019 Venture and actually got one response that sounded positive in that it stated there was going to be a new "S" model introduced sometime this fall,, sounded promising.. The only problem was, that post was dated in the summer of 2017 according to google and I didn't click on it to see who wrote it (I dont make a habit of clicking on posts that dont seem to make sense, I am always afraid of my computer getting zapped or something). On the other hand, if you go to the factory website of Yamahamotorsports.com and search "touring" it shows, as you mention, no 2019's when the rest of the categories are all showing new 2019 models..
I know you are riding one of those gorgeous new scoots and should have a reliable contact number laying around for Star? It would be interesting to hear what they would have to say if asked about this by someone who has already invested deeply in this product.
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!!
Since my wife and I intend to keep this bike for the next 10-15 years, any residual trade in, or private sale $$$ recovery, is of no more concern to us. By that time, we will have over 150,000 fabulous memory-packed miles aboard her. So, in otherwords, pragmatically, we have suffered no financial loss whether the bike remains an active model, or not. I/we feel fortunate indeed to be the proud owners of one...and this past summer riding season, took three major vacation trips, and countless weekend sojourns, with 100 percent excellent reliability, of Charlotte bringing us home safe and sound, each and every time! The 2018 SVTC is the most modern, feature packed large bore, V-Twin genre. If someone loves the V-Twin, as much as my wife and I have discovered that we certainly do....this is the Grand Dame to own. In Canada, they sold well, my dealer could have sold three more, had he been able to get them. He felt lucky that another dealer had one, that dealer's son used as a demo..and then sold to him...and out the door to one of his other customers. I/we have seen three other SVTC's and one Eluder in our Canadian travels...and not one of those dual riding teams had a scowl upon their faces...but in fact...had BEAMING smiles and thumb's up waves to the both of us. Yep...as we passed each other...we KNEW...that we both, couples were riding the finest V-Twin Grand Luxury Tour-purposed motorcycle, yet built.

Yamaha shot themselves in the foot with a fatal, stumbled launch of this flag ship Grand Touring model...and paid the price for it....in lack luster, and anemic sales in the USA. Today, when it was apparent, that Yamaha has walked away from producing further model years of the SVTC...I went out to my garage...sat upon our beaut...sipped my coffee, turned on the Sat Radio....leaned back...and mused upon the coming April,...and the ****-load of miles the rear wheel is gonna put behind it, next year with all the planned tours we have already spread across the rec room table!

Then, with a large smile, I shut the tunes down....stepped outta the saddle, turned out the lights of the garage...and was glad that WE...had the pleasure to own one this past riding season...and look forward to the many years of touring destinations, and memories that will be created, aboard 'The Mile Gulper'...the Queen of the Tour, our 2018 red Star Venture Trans Continental.

Cheers, Lonestar...!!!

Joe
Lonestar likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 11-11-2018 at 06:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:28 PM

Garage
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, or is it since Yamaha didn't release a new model at a time when many other manufacturers release their new year models, you've just decided that it's discontinued. Please share since I got sucked into watching the YouTube vid thinking there was some information on the bike being discontinued based on fact. In a previous post, Devious1 provided the most likely scenario and information on when Yamaha will release a new SVTC model.

Lonestar, Just an FYI...that "S" model write up was someone's spoof/hope on what they would like to see on a future model.
hunter6462 and Lonestar like this.
post #5 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-11-2018, 06:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by afaycasaym View Post
I'm not sure where you're getting your information, or is it since Yamaha didn't release a new model at a time when many other manufacturers release their new year models, you've just decided that it's discontinued. Please share since I got sucked into watching the YouTube vid thinking there was some information on the bike being discontinued based on fact. In a previous post, Devious1 provided the most likely scenario and information on when Yamaha will release a new SVTC model.

Lonestar, Just an FYI...that "S" model write up was someone's spoof/hope on what they would like to see on a future model.
Let Yamaha or their official representatives, make a public statement to repudiate that the model is NOT dead, past 2018 production. Let's see Afaycasaym, if an official statement from their P.R. group, will be made public, and ease the fears that all present 2018 owners of the SVTC introductory model year, have NOT been abandoned. Let them make it known, upon YouTube, or upon either of their official USA or Canadian Yamaha sites....let them, make public why there is no next year, model year being produced, or offered to the public. But until they do...ROTFLMAO!----don't hold your breath...that could prove fatal...

The mark is dead....no major player, motorcycle company on earth, would tear confidence away from the buying public, with no offering of a following model year, after introductory to the market. The model is finished, and Yamaha has closed the door to the assembly line.... Let them prove my assertion wrong....let them! Again, don't hold your breath, in the waiting....Yamaha is famous for killing off models, at the twitch of the C.E.O's and C.F.O's corners of their mouths.... This modus operandi of theirs, sorry to say, aint' new...

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 11-12-2018 at 06:01 AM.
post #6 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
I know the post you’re speaking of. You need to read the end of it again where he CLARIFIES .. it’s just HIS wishful thinking.
There is no “S” model.
post #7 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
I will say this, with all the amazing deals being offered on the left over SVTC's and Eluders and no 2019's being listed on Star's homepage, I can honestly see why one may come to the conclusion that you suggest. TERRIBLY sad if its true!![IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/frown.gif[/IMG]
I called Yamah directly last Monday nd spoke to them about 2019. I also asked about software upgrades needed and shared with them the perception being shared internationally regarding this bike.
She said she’d get beach to me but I haven’t heard anything.... just crickets!
post #8 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 05:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I called Yamah directly last Monday nd spoke to them about 2019. I also asked about software upgrades needed and shared with them the perception being shared internationally regarding this bike.
She said she’d get beach to me but I haven’t heard anything.... just crickets!
Chief...if you listen, really carefully, (LOL...) with you being a retired ex-Navy...listen...and oh...there it is....a Yamaha cornet player at Corporate, playing------> Taps.....

"Goodnight, Irene"...

There is a sort of, Silver Lining to all this though...and that is: As all of us, we 2018 Yamaha Orphans, keep plying thousands of miles on the each of our SVTC's and Eluders....it will become pretty apparent, that they are a rock solid, mile-after-mile mount...and when other V-Twin brand riders, finally catch up to the fact that our V-Twins are dynamite to ride and own....if they want one...and some will....we don't have to worry about any newer model year SVTC's and Eluders...they will have to deal with all we first production run, owners....So, in otherwords, Yamaha just culled the 'herd'....lol. You know...the glass that is half empty, or half full.... That was the half full 'take'... When we finally decide to sell ours, I'll just tell the next excited rider....that the 1,456,934 miles that Charlotte has on her...has FINALLY freed up the engine, and they can be assured that the bike is now fully broken in. The best MPG's are in their future! I know that that will cement the deal...

Joe
post #9 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 09:01 AM
KCW

Garage
The way I feel about being a Vstar orphan, is that Yamaha thought they could make money building high quality cruiser bikes. They invested a lot of time and money and resources into the Vstar line, and they met their design goals: making the most reliable cruiser line you can get.

The fact that the market did not support them is sad, but they have left many thousands of great motorcycles in the hands of riders who are still enjoying the the fruits of a great engineering and production product cycle.

If (I think that should be a big IF)... IF yamaha has dropped the new venture, then all the more, you have one, you have all the benefit of the expensive Yamaha put into the design of your bike, and you got one.

IF they now have decided the product is not going to be profitable and they drop it after only one year, then you really made out. The bike you paid $20 something thousand for cost Yamaha $100,000 or more EACH to design, tool up, produce and sell, and you got one for 1/4 what it cost them to make it. (When you divide the development cost over the number of bikes produced).

The only way it could be better for you would be if Yamaha hand-made a few prototypes, then decided not to produce the bike, and somehow you got your hands on one of them.

Its the same with all the Vstar bikes. Twenty years from now people will be saying "I wish I never sold my VS650 / 1100 / Road Star / Striker / Royal Star...." you cant even buy a bike like it now at any price.

If you have a Vstar bike in good condition: YOU WIN!

I dont see how you can fault Yamaha for not 'selling' enough bikes. If they made a great motorcycle, and people are not buying enough for them to make a profit, you cant cram a motorcycle down a customers throat if they dont want it enough to cough up the money.

I already know that 20 years from now I will be saying "I wish I had bought that 1996 Royal Star with 15k miles on it for $1500 back in 2018 that was on Craigslist..." because I know people will be drooling over these bikes when you cant find them anymore.
afaycasaym and Lonestar like this.

Last edited by KCW; 11-12-2018 at 09:12 AM.
post #10 of 66 (permalink) Old 11-12-2018, 10:00 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The way I feel about being a Vstar orphan, is that Yamaha thought they could make money building high quality cruiser bikes. They invested a lot of time and money and resources into the Vstar line, and they met their design goals: making the most reliable cruiser line you can get.

The fact that the market did not support them is sad, but they have left many thousands of great motorcycles in the hands of riders who are still enjoying the the fruits of a great engineering and production product cycle.

If (I think that should be a big IF)... IF yamaha has dropped the new venture, then all the more, you have one, you have all the benefit of the expensive Yamaha put into the design of your bike, and you got one.

IF they now have decided the product is not going to be profitable and they drop it after only one year, then you really made out. The bike you paid $20 something thousand for cost Yamaha $100,000 or more EACH to design, tool up, produce and sell, and you got one for 1/4 what it cost them to make it. (When you divide the development cost over the number of bikes produced).

The only way it could be better for you would be if Yamaha hand-made a few prototypes, then decided not to produce the bike, and somehow you got your hands on one of them.

Its the same with all the Vstar bikes. Twenty years from now people will be saying "I wish I never sold my VS650 / 1100 / Road Star / Striker / Royal Star...." you cant even buy a bike like it now at any price.

If you have a Vstar bike in good condition: YOU WIN!

I dont see how you can fault Yamaha for not 'selling' enough bikes. If they made a great motorcycle, and people are not buying enough for them to make a profit, you cant cram a motorcycle down a customers throat if they dont want it enough to cough up the money.

I already know that 20 years from now I will be saying "I wish I had bought that 1996 Royal Star with 15k miles on it for $1500 back in 2018 that was on Craigslist..." because I know people will be drooling over these bikes when you cant find them anymore.
KCW, as usual you make good points, but here is where I believe Yamaha did screw up a bit and missed the mark...it's in their pricing. Especially with the decline in sales of big bikes across-the-board, and hoping they could be competitive with HD in the V-Twin market. We know Yamaha produces great bikes usually at a great price. If they had used an MSRP of $24,999 for the SVTC that would have caught many more potential buyer's attention. Obviously the price can be negotiated, but that is the first thing you see regardless of all the features included.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the sky is falling on this model like some just yet. One minute convinced they are about to release a new model and the next minute convinced it's discontinued because they haven't released any info. Yamaha has always been slow to update and few manufacturers release info until they're ready regardless of how much we feel they owe us to do so...I did notice your use of 'If'.

I'll be very surprised, especially with the the amount of money Yamaha has invested, if they don't put out a few more year models. Knowing Yamaha, there might not be dramatic updates and styling other than color changes when they do release the next years model which I believe will be a 2020 model due to their late release and delays on the 2018.
KCW, Lonestar and Devious1 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode