How important is dealer servicing? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By YamahaParExcellence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 06:49 PM Thread Starter

Question How important is dealer servicing?

I am currently working a deal on a gray SVTC.
Dealer's service department near me does not impress me.
I have been doing my own maintenance on two Road Star's since 1999.
120,000 miles on first one and >80,000 on current mount.

So, other than software updates, is there anything on this bike that requires equipment or computer hook ups we can not procure for our own garage?

Would there be any warranty issues if I took over maintenance after the 600 mile service? Assuming I kept good records and reciepts.

Thank you for your inputs.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2018, 07:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
I am currently working a deal on a gray SVTC.
Dealer's service department near me does not impress me.
I have been doing my own maintenance on two Road Star's since 1999.
120,000 miles on first one and >80,000 on current mount.

So, other than software updates, is there anything on this bike that requires equipment or computer hook ups we can not procure for our own garage?

Would there be any warranty issues if I took over maintenance after the 600 mile service? Assuming I kept good records and reciepts.

Thank you for your inputs.
Gary
Unfortunately you are not alone in being able to find a reliable service provider. I myself have a great one, but there are others here in the same boat as you.
Software updates are not difficult and something you can do but there is test equipment and it’s associated software that you’d have a hard time procuring for yourself, but it’s only needed for diagnostics not regular maintenance that I’ve seen.
That’s being said, as long as proper records of maintenance are kept ALONG with receipts for all items such as filter, oil, spark plugs, air filter etc are kept you will have NO problem with any warranty claims.
If your interested and have the cash, there’s a list in the front of the Service Manual that lists all of Yamahas “special tools” needed. I doubt they are cheap, and the only one I KNOW you can’t get is the computer hand held unit that reads the bike.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 11-28-2018 at 09:19 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:12 AM

The rush is on....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 05:41 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
The rush is on....
Yep er! Get em while they’re hot!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 06:58 AM
KCW

Garage
The thing you have to keep in mind is that dealerships in the US are independent businesses. They are in no way connected, owned, or controlled by Yamaha.

Therefor like any other business, you will find a wide spectrum of competence and customer satisfaction at dealerships.

If there are no quality dealerships in your area, that is an opportunity, assuming there is enough of a motorcycle market in the area.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 07:07 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
The thing you have to keep in mind is that dealerships in the US are independent businesses. They are in no way connected, owned, or controlled by Yamaha.

Therefor like any other business, you will find a wide spectrum of competence and customer satisfaction at dealerships.

If there are no quality dealerships in your area, that is an opportunity, assuming there is enough of a motorcycle market in the area.
When the SVTC & Eluder were released, the MSRP was not a “suggested” price. It was set by Yamaha & could not be lowered without Yamaha approval.
That has no bearing on your comment regarding service. It’s just a “price point” fact I wanted to put out there.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 11:06 AM Thread Starter

I guess I'll be doing my own maintenance on this one too.
I will have to rely on you folks to post notices when software updates are released.

Thank you all for the input.
Gary
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2018, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
I guess I'll be doing my own maintenance on this one too.
I will have to rely on you folks to post notices when software updates are released.

Thank you all for the input.
Gary
No need to rely on anybody, Gary...just monitor once a month, either the American or the Canadian official Yamaha site. On that site, is where you will find out if there has been an update/revision release for either the Navigation--maps and/or Head Logic Control (the main computer of the SVTC/Eluder). This is where you can download all and any further software updates in the future. My dealer informed me, that a MAJOR revision is coming soon. Just check monthly, and you are good to go. When you do get your new grey beauty...it should come with the latest version to date of the software already installed by Yamaha, OR...the dealer. Also, as a new owner, you will be mailed direct by Yamaha the latest software already installed, ready to go, on a USB drive supplied by them. We all received one, after the dealer registers you as a new owner. That should happen...and if after a month or two it doesn't, merely contact Yamaha Customer division, and speak to them about the USB drive...and they will get it into the mail for you.

I have one recommendation for you. When you need to swap out the 10W40 Yamaha mineral oil that comes in the bike for break-in, I highly suggest as your first oil, after break-in, that you put YamaLube full synthetic 15W50 (with Ester) into your beaut. Your SVTC has a 'high performance' valve actuation strategy, in that one cam lobe, is acting upon one lifter, that actuates TWO large valve faces, and two strong valve springs. This puts very high pressure to bear between the surfaces of the cam lobe, and the flat bottom of the H.L follower. Without a large explanation, and all the controversy and varied opinions about different brands of oil...and all of that...there are only two things you must remember with this bike to date...is:

Your oil must have a high level of ZDDP , and Ester. Those two additives create a chemical cushioning and sacrificial bearing surface film between the cam lobe and the H.L. follower. YamaLube full synthetic (with Ester) as upon the label, has the necessary additives that will insure you do not experience what some other owners (not many, but still recorded) of burnishing and/or failure of those two rubbing surfaces. If you use what I suggest, or Redline 10W40/20W50, either of those two oil choices will protect you. Yamaha is going to respond in some way, regarding this...but again, not every SVTC has experienced this...so it not a common failure. I believe that it is the choice of oil and viscosity by the owner, for the most part...for the most part that might also be in play, as to who will have this failure of that specific gear. I used YamaLube 15W50 after my 600 mile oil change, and have many thousands of miles, with no such cam/follower burnishing or outright failure. 'American' has used Redline 10W40, and he also has many thousands of care-free miles, with also, no failure as mentioned. That is my suggestion to you, for how the cam-follower is in situ, today. If Yamaha for 2019, goes to a cam/roller follower, then I'd imagine any oil that an owner wishes to use, will be fine. If they do...no worries owning a 2018 model, as it was told to me by my dealer in the OMG posting....that all 2018's will be retrofitted at no cost to the owner, with the new valve set-up. So...either way, you are covered. Just use one of the two oils I have suggested, and you will not see this problem. One more very important thing...this bike has an absolute and CRITICAL methodology of putting the proper amounts of oil...in the crank-case port, as well as the outboard oil tank. Don't be sloppy in your measurements...measure out to the last drop, what is needed to go into both the engine itself, as well the the outboard oil tank. Between doing that, and the choice of oils I suggest...the bike will outlive you...

Post Edit: We (as owners) have found out, that this bike...needs to have an oil level check by the oil dipstick AFTER you ride...and just before you put it away into your garage, or wherever. The oil must be hot, and must have circulated for a few miles. So the methodology we have found...to get a correct reading is...after an oil change, you KNOW there is proper and sufficient oil in the system. Now...pick a day of the week, that you will 'dip', and after a ride of 20 miles or more, open up the left saddle bag. Reach down and unscrew the oil dip stick handle. Take it out and wipe the level end. Get on your bike, and bring the bike up to straight and level. Sit for about 3 minutes. Then, merely reach back on your left (while the bike is kept level) and dip your stick (with no screwing in of the handle). Have towels placed in front of the dip area to stop any drops of oil contacting any portion of your saddle bag. Look at your level and make adjustments if you need to to top off. and repeat the process again of getting on...getting level, and reaching back to dip. That is the best method for a quick on-tour way to make sure the bike is level. You CAN NOT get a proper reading on this bike, with the bike on the side stand. While out upon tour this last season, while my wife was unpacking (having just arrived at the motel/hotel) we had a team play, that I did the after each 10-13 hour day of engine operation, I'd do exactly how I describe it. I checked the oil...(never had to add a drop out on tour, actually, but checked as the last act of the day) and then helped with whatever else was coming into the hotel room. The wife and I covered the bike, patted it good night, and carried on with the evening activities!

...and oh..."Welcome to the SVTC Club...its membership is growing, and you will own the finest full-fat, Grand Luxury Tour on the planet today...the ride, the MPG's, the sound upon maturing, the communication and entertainment features, the load capacity for a month long tour...is superb! An early congrat's to you!"

Easy as a peach!

Joe
hunter6462 likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 11-29-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode