Because we need to remove our saddles for oil changes.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-29-2018, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Because we need to remove our saddles for oil changes....

I thought to post this solution, to make removing and installing our saddles easier, time and time again....

Go to Big Bike Parts.com and look for tapered seat bolts for the SVTC/Eluder and can fit the Honda ST1800 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=YzE1bSycC5U

Also, as you pick up a set of those bolts, this rear tank bib to stop your pants from scuffing the back end outer edge/finish of your gas tank, as I see it, is a 'must have'. One of my 'Christmas presents' from my wife, this year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fIkorNHchRQ

Post Edit comment. "Folks...we need to totally support Big Bike Parts (Hopnel), in that they didn't sit around and wait to see how the uptake of this great bike was....but stepped up to the plate and created many, many great 3rd Party acc's already. I also picked up the higher and wider, Tour windshield as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yKAq9kydiFw

If they see orders coming in...they will keep producing, what is currently in their catalog...and be encouraged to add more for the SVTC/ELUDER ride. Please support them...as they have unconditionally supported current owners,--------> right out of the gate!"

Thank you, Big Bike Parts.com, you will be the first site I go to, for anything else on my 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental! Thank you, for supporting our great ride with not merely lip-speak...but dollars invested!
Cheers,

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 12-29-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:20 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
I thought to post this solution, to make removing and installing our saddles easier, time and time again....

Go to Big Bike Parts.com and look for tapered seat bolts for the SVTC/Eluder and can fit the Honda ST1800 as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=YzE1bSycC5U

Also, as you pick up a set of those bolts, this rear tank bib to stop your pants from scuffing the back end outer edge/finish of your gas tank, as I see it, is a 'must have'. One of my 'Christmas presents' from my wife, this year. [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=fIkorNHchRQ

Post Edit comment. "Folks...we need to totally support Big Bike Parts (Hopnel), in that they didn't sit around and wait to see how the uptake of this great bike was....but stepped up to the plate and created many, many great 3rd Party acc's already. I also picked up the higher and wider, Tour windshield as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=yKAq9kydiFw

If they see orders coming in...they will keep producing, what is currently in their catalog...and be encouraged to add more for the SVTC/ELUDER ride. Please support them...as they have unconditionally supported current owners,--------> right out of the gate!" [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

Thank you, Big Bike Parts.com, you will be the first site I go to, for anything else on my 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental! Thank you, for supporting our great ride with not merely lip-speak...but dollars invested!
Cheers,
Hey Joe, NONE of those videos came up. Each one said there was an “error”.
Might wanna check it. 😉
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 09:54 AM

Garage
Links worked for me. In the past past I've taken a regular bolt over to the grinder and put a cone shape on the end. This works great on trying to get header bolts started in really tight areas. Just remember to run a nut on the bolt first so after you grind on it and take the nut off it cleans the thread.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 11:04 AM

Is the tank bib install pretty simple?
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-30-2018, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by akf15e View Post
Is the tank bib install pretty simple?
Very easy. A few Velcro tabs and it's on protecting the paint.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 10:20 AM

Thinking about it maybe Yamaha made removing the seat a benefit during oil changes.

My Victory the battery was in the front in a compartment at the bottom and you had to remove a grille panel to get to it.

My Harley Davidson the battery was in a compartment under the seat like the Yamaha Star Venture but you did not have to remove the seat to change the oil so the battery rarely got checked.

The Yamaha you see the battery every time you change the oil to check the terminals for corrosion and make sure the terminals are tight.

Some are under the impression you have to remove the seat to add oil if you are on the road but that is not true, all you have to do is add oil via the dip stick hole with a small funnel even those disposable thin cardboard funnels that you roll up into the size you need. So there is no need to remove the seat to add oil when on the road.

Saying that I have never had a need to add any oil to mine.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 11:49 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
Thinking about it maybe Yamaha made removing the seat a benefit during oil changes.

My Victory the battery was in the front in a compartment at the bottom and you had to remove a grille panel to get to it.

My Harley Davidson the battery was in a compartment under the seat like the Yamaha Star Venture but you did not have to remove the seat to change the oil so the battery rarely got checked.

The Yamaha you see the battery every time you change the oil to check the terminals for corrosion and make sure the terminals are tight.

Some are under the impression you have to remove the seat to add oil if you are on the road but that is not true, all you have to do is add oil via the dip stick hole with a small funnel even those disposable thin cardboard funnels that you roll up into the size you need. So there is no need to remove the seat to add oil when on the road.

Same here Bill regarding that last statement. I haven’t had to add any oil between oil changes.
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 02:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Same here, Bill. I have never had to add oil to this engine, between 5,000 mile oil changes. It simply doesn't burn any...and that was even on a trip from Toronto, to Phoenix, AZ, last August. This engine runs cool.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-12-2019 at 05:18 AM.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 03:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:

Same here, Bill. I have never had add oil to this engine, between 5,000 mile oil changes. It simply doesn't burn any...and that was even on a trip from Toronto, to Phoenix, AZ, last August. This engine runs cool.
I noticed you said “5,000” mile oil change, yet Yamaha specifies every 4,000 miles.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 01-07-2019 at 04:00 PM.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-07-2019, 04:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I noticed you said “5,000” mile oil change, yet Yamaha specifies every 4,000 miles.
Right...but because I use premium synthetic, easily, with mostly highway riding, you can get another 1000 out of the oil. I do my cars at 5,000 miles (synthetic) and my bikes as well, Tony. Filters are always swapped out per oil change.

For mineral oil...yes, I'd do actually 3000 mile oil changes.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-07-2019 at 05:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode