Pulling a trailer - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 41Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Pulling a trailer

My first chance to pull my trailer with th SVTC. It pulled it very well, you'd forget it's back there. I'll be taking the trailer to get it wrapped or painted in the next week. I went for a lazy 130 mile ride with the trailer. Here in Florida at sea level I struggle to hit 40 mpg on a long ride. Happy with the mpg pulling a trailer. It's obvious the engine does not struggle with the load and braking is good too. It pulls as good as my 08 Wing did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1231181739a.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	83122   Click image for larger version

Name:	0101191452_HDR.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	83124  

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
My first chance to pull my trailer with th SVTC. It pulled it very well, you'd forget it's back there. I'll be taking the trailer to get it wrapped or painted in the next week. I went for a lazy 130 mile ride with the trailer. Here in Florida at sea level I struggle to hit 40 mpg on a long ride. Happy with the mpg pulling a trailer. It's obvious the engine does not struggle with the load and braking is good too. It pulls as good as my 08 Wing did.
That’s really pretty! Is that a Champion or a Hannigan??
Keith Post likes this.
ChiefGunner is online now  
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
It's an 08 Hannigan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0617182000.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	83126  
Keith Post likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Moderator
 
Keith Post's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,696
Garage
Once you get it painted/wrapped, please post a pic. Glad it worked well for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Keith Post is online now  
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Made the same trip today without the trailer. 15 degrees colder and a slight wind was the main difference.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 06:30 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
It's an 08 Hannigan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Once you get it painted/wrapped, please post a pic. Glad it worked well for you.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well Bucfan11, you “inspired” me.
I took a 532 mile trip today to secure a Hannigan Europa trailer in EXCELLENT condition. It even has brakes installed on it!
I don’t have my trailer hitch installed yet, so I’ll go back in a couple weeks and pick it up. They were kind enough to hold it for me!
The color is so close I don’t need to worry about “color matching”. At least not right away.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 01-05-2019 at 06:32 PM.
ChiefGunner is online now  
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
You will be well pleased. I have pulled mine behind my Wing for 50,000 miles. Trailer quality is fantastic though there is a design issue. The weather seal for the lid is mounted on the trailer instead of the lid so everytime you load up the trailer you have to be very careful not to drag luggage across the opening and damage the seal, other than that it is a great trailer. Color looks great too! I'm not sure if those are a 4 or 5 wire light system but if they are 4 you'll need a 5 to 4 converter...I have one you can have if needed. It works with Electrical Connections plug and play harness.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 07:51 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Well Bucfan11, you “inspired” me.
I took a 532 mile trip today to secure a Hannigan Europa trailer in EXCELLENT condition. It even has brakes installed on it!
I don’t have my trailer hitch installed yet, so I’ll go back in a couple weeks and pick it up. They were kind enough to hold it for me!
The color is so close I don’t need to worry about “color matching”. At least not right away.
That is absolutely AWESOME!!!
All this chatter about trailer pulling has got me wondering something. Are the motorcycle manufactures ok with adding on a hitch and pulling a trailer as far as warranty coverage goes? Also, I have never pulled a trailer but my wife, kids and I came upon a car/motorcycle accident out near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple years back. A guy totalled his Gold Wing when a car pulled in front of him. The trailer the guy on the Wing was pulling actually pushed the bike into the car in sort of a sideways slam. We stopped to see if we could help and over heard the officer questioning whether or not the trailer had brakes on it. I dont think the trailer in question did have them and that definitely added to the injuries/damages sustained. It sure seems like
the trailer set up with brakes would DEFINITELY be the way to go in an emergency stop Mr. Chief - that is one gorgeous set up you have going!!
Lonestar is offline  
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar View Post
That is absolutely AWESOME!!!
All this chatter about trailer pulling has got me wondering something. Are the motorcycle manufactures ok with adding on a hitch and pulling a trailer as far as warranty coverage goes? Also, I have never pulled a trailer but my wife, kids and I came upon a car/motorcycle accident out near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon a couple years back. A guy totalled his Gold Wing when a car pulled in front of him. The trailer the guy on the Wing was pulling actually pushed the bike into the car in sort of a sideways slam. We stopped to see if we could help and over heard the officer questioning whether or not the trailer had brakes on it. I dont think the trailer in question did have them and that definitely added to the injuries/damages sustained. It sure seems like
the trailer set up with brakes would DEFINITELY be the way to go in an emergency stop Mr. Chief - that is one gorgeous set up you have going!!
None recommend pulling trailers except the Spyder, just as none recommend trikes except for the OEM Harley.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 01-05-2019, 09:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
None recommend pulling trailers except the Spyder, just as none recommend trikes except for the OEM Harley.
Does that constitute a voided warranty or is it just something that is not recommended,, like I am sure that most manufacturers probably do not recommend riding without a helmet.
lesblank likes this.
Lonestar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome