Six of one, half dozen of the other.... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-02-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Six of one, half dozen of the other....

...commentary...

Probably, everyone over the age of 10 has heard that expression at least a few times in their lives...

...and I was just musing about that phrase, in thinking about my own particular SVTC purchase, and was somewhat lamenting (at first...) that I'd wished that I would have waited one year, and seen how the model I was interested in, would be up-taken, with RTM. Especially with what we all have seen as to what the anemic adoption (purchase) has done for what prices are appearing around this time. And, then I started to think back, on my purchase...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I purchased my SVTC, (last October, 2017), at that time, It was a good deal, if you could get your dealer to move off of full MSRP, which up here in Canada, is still $31,999.00.

Well, last October, I did in fact get $2,000.00 dollars off that MSRP, so my deal was now at $29,999.00 CDN.

Now...here is where the 'Six of one, half dozen of the other' comes into play.

I had a trade in...that being a 2008 GL1800 Premium Sound/Nav Goldwing. At the time, my dealing for the 2018 Star Venture Transcontinental, was just ahead of the 'land rush' of other 2017 and older GL1800 owners that were about to flood the GL1800 resale market with wanting to deal on a 2018 Goldwing. I was just ahead of that glut that would come onto the market for Goldwings!

I was also fortunate that my Yamaha dealer had a couple he had spoken to, that really wanted to see our Goldwing, for they were actually looking at off-brand dealers (like going to a Yamaha dealer to ask about trade in off-brands (Goldwings...) for they thought they could score a more aggressive deal on one. As a result, (and in taking the time to show up at my Yamaha purchasing dealer with our 2008 Goldwing (which was pristine in every way!)), I got a most fabulous trade in price of reclaiming 50 percent of my purchasing cost in 2008, of $28,000.00 for our GL1800. My Yamaha dealer gave me $14,000.00 dollars for our GL1800, which was at that time, nearly $3,000.00 more than for the average trade in price in October/17 for a 2008 model. So....in musing tonight on my deal...in light of what the American prices on 2018 SVTC's are being sold for...

....I actually did better, financially, and at NET COST, buying when I did...at the very start and ramp up...when dealers didn't know what the next 8 months would bring, or the up-take of the model. I had a very motivated dealer wanting my Goldwing at that time, as well as he mostly never asked full MSRP on any Yamaha he had for sale, usually around $500.00 to $1,000.00 off MSRP before any dickering.

Even now...sipping my cup of 'joe'...and musing, I did alright...in fact...very much, alright.

At the top of the deal, I shaved $2,000.00 off. At the bottom end of the deal, I shaved getting $3,000.00 more than what Wings were going to be dealt in and allowed for, 2-3 months past October/17.

So...what was really my 'deal' bottom line...I got $5,000.00 shaved off the MSRP of $31,999.00 PLUS the savings of 13 % Ontario Sales Tax on the $3,000.00 more than what I would have gotten, had I dealt 3-8 months later, with all the GL1800's coming into the dealer networks, or for private sale.

"Six of one, half dozen of the other..." I did better, buying when I did, than had I even waited to see 'how it fanned out'...and dropped coin on a MSRP discounted of around $3,000.00-$4,000.00 that potential buyers are seeing on the SVTC market right now in the States.

Sometimes, you have to 'revisit' how YOUR deal went...and happily find, that you still scored like a bandit...and did better than picking up an SVTC even if it would be purchased this week! Life is good...I (in hindsight) didn't take any form of a 'hosing' by purchasing when I did...at the RTM...and enjoyed a fabulous first riding season to boot! I'm not sure (can't remember) if Tony (Chief) traded in a ride, or in looking back, based on all the financials (same for American/Bill), we probably all, didn't truly take a hosing of any kind, EVEN if we purchased what seems, to be at a higher dealer price...why? Because there always is the BOTTOM end of a deal....and more times than not, you need to be ahead of the 'glut' on the trade in and resale market to plush and fatten out that 'bottom end'. That's what I did...and probably, both Tony and Bill did the same....the 'Art of the Deal' is always, right reader?----> about 'timing'. Sometimes you do better by 'getting in there, ahead of the crowd'...sometimes, by 'sitting in the bush' watching... Both purchasing strategies can bring great benefits....as 'getting in there, first' did for myself.

Just musing...and thinking 'out loud'...

Happy New Year, everyone...and happy trails to those savvy enough to pick one of these diamonds up from their local dealer....again, safe rides for 2019!

Joe
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:21 AM

Garage
Great commentary Joe!
Appears you did really well with your purchase and you brought up some excellent points. Thanks for sharing with us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Great commentary Joe!
Appears you did really well with your purchase and you brought up some excellent points. Thanks for sharing with us.

Thanks, Keith for your viewpoint! You know...in musing over my deal, last October...a purchaser can't merely dwell on the 'top end' of the deal...the price the Dealer has the SVTC/Eluder listed for...UNLESS, they are paying in a total cash scenario. But...if there is a trade-in needed to acquire the bike...that opens a quagmire, in that if the dealer (who is not there as a local charity), can't find profit in the asking price...he/she will most certainly look for it at the 'other end of the deal'...the bottom end....the trade in allowance. So...it behooves a potential buyer, to work out a fair 'trade' for all, 'top end' price offered to the dealer for the SVTC, so that the buyer can then negotiate the best trade-in allowance, that dealer will be motivated to allow.

I'd say, (as it was in my deal...) that the 'bottom end' of any deal, is much more important to the buyer, than what the SVTC is being offered for...in that (at least in Canada), the 'trade in allowance' carves out the 13 % GST, on the trade in allotment, so in my case,...Not only did I work out to $14,000.00 for my trade, but saved a whopping $1,820.00 on GST tax that I did not have to pay out on my SVTC purchase. So...again, at least in Canada, it is MUCH better to have a trade-in working in the deal, than merely think one is scoring by buying an SVTC with a $4,000.00 discount off MSRP. For if that is the case...(again, in Canada as the working model...) the buyer would have to pay $3,639.87 in tax over and above the 29,999.00 for the slow-sales, discounted dealer asking price. My 2008 Goldwing, SAVED me $1,820.00 in tax savings! So in reality, I got (NET):

$2,000 off the MSRP
$3,000.00 more than the average trade-in allowance for 2008 Goldwings last October/17 (because I traded in, ahead of the 2018 Goldwing 'want it' stampede...with GL1800's coming out every dealers ears, as well as trade and private asking sale attempts.)
$1,820.00 in (G)oods and (S)ervice (T)ax savings, not having to be paid to the Ontario Government.

Total savings off of the full MSRP SVTC Ontario List: $6,820.00! In my opinion, Keith, the trade-in...and what you can negotiate for it...at the bottom end of the deal, is where all the actual savings accrue

Joe...
Keith Post likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-03-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 07:54 AM

Garage
I totally agree, I like how you think, as Im similar.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 08:41 AM
KCW

Garage
If you want to put a figure on it, calculate the total cost of ownership for your bike, divide it by the miles on your odo - see how much it is costing per mile to ride.

Then take your best guess for the expected life of the bike, tires, oil, riding gear... and project it out.

In another thread the topic of whether its less expensive to ride a motorcycle or drive a small car came up. I did the math for my Vstar 650, purchased used 6 years ago for $3,300.

My total cost of ownership and riding so far is over $8,000. Having put over 26k miles on it, that is about 30 / mile - about the same as a small car. I do all my own work on my motorcycles.

Thats the bottom line, and your riding gear, insurance.. any expense that is purely from having the motorcycle (like storage or building a shed)... is part of it.

I was stunned that I had spent $8000 to ride my VS650 so far. Dont do the math unless you really want to know.

BTW, the average in the US for driving a car is about 50 / mile.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 01:58 PM

Joe,
I totally agree with your musing.
The truly "best" part of your deal was that you got in a year of riding that beautiful machine whatever the deal.
Have a great 2019 riding season.
Gary
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
Joe,
The truly "best" part of your deal was that you got in a year of riding that beautiful machine whatever the deal.
Gary
Thank you very much, Gary, and back at you, for your coming '19 days in the sun!

My wife and I, already have some great ideas for next where to point the front end of the bike...lol!

Cheers,

Joe
Keith Post likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2019, 06:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
Joe,
Gary
Thank you very much, Gary, and back at you, for your coming '19 days in the sun! [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

My wife and I, already have some great ideas for next where to point the front end of the bike...lol!

Cheers,

Joe
Well Joe, you guys are welcome to join us on our coast to coast trip later this year.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 05:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Well Joe, you guys are welcome to join us on our coast to coast trip later this year.
I know of one riding couple that we spoke with last Summer on the Toronto Waterfront, that will be beaming...and I'll bet you...my dealer is going to contact them with the fact they can skip a year...and get a 2020 model. I hear the word; "SOLD!" in the wind...

I was never B.S.ing anybody with any or all of my content...that up here in Canada, the model year sold out...and the new 2020 Blue Mile Eater, has just proved it.... Cool that the full 5 year warranty still is offered. I wonder truly how many 2018 SVTC's out of hundreds produced, had any kind of cam lobe face/lifter face issue. Two that we know of? The rest I suggest, ----> were simply Troll Bait....

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-06-2019 at 05:04 AM.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2019, 08:23 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
I know of one riding couple that we spoke with last Summer on the Toronto Waterfront, that will be beaming...and I'll bet you...my dealer is going to contact them with the fact they can skip a year...and get a 2020 model. I hear the word; "SOLD!" in the wind...[IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]

I was never B.S.ing anybody with any or all of my content...that up here in Canada, the model year sold out...and the new 2020 Blue Mile Eater, has just proved it.... [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG] Cool that the full 5 year warranty still is offered. I wonder truly how many 2018 SVTC's out of hundreds produced, had any kind of cam lobe face/lifter face issue. Two that we know of? The rest I suggest, ----> were simply Troll Bait....
I was one of them and posted pictures to validate the issue.... but that’s been in my rear view mirror for quite a while now. Over 9,000 miles ago and she’s been purring like big cat & chewing up the miles.
Man I love this bike!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode