Upset and not sure what to do blown motor svtc - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 188Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Upset and not sure what to do blown motor svtc

Well just about 2 weeks now and no bike.
Let me explain.
On the 7th my Star Venture Transcontinental blew its motor, tick, tick, ticking sound then a serious backfire in the front cylinder and the bike died.
Y.E.S. was absolutely no help to get the bike off the road or towed. Trying to get this bike picked up by a tow company was a complete pain. Finally got it towed home and then over to the moto shop the next day and from here things Don't get any better. The shop is still troubling shooting the bike and the latest is stuck open valves from defective/broken valve springs as of Thursday but nothing confirmed yet.
Apparently mechanically the bike's motor is fine but no compression in the front cylinder which has made them think its open valves. No completely sold on this.
I have brought the bike in a few time for the faint ticking sound but was told that is normal v-twin motor noise.
Anyway the day the bike died the ticking sounds got very loud then after I pulled over to check it over I was thinking it was me just over exaggerating, shut the bike down went into the store and came out started the bike and when taking off a small backfire in the front cylinder and the ticking got louder and faster then boom, I mean booooommm! -- Crap do I have all my parts, ok I was good. The bike dead, wouldn't start, no horrible noise just no compression, now mind you, I am in the middle of a busy intersection and cars darted around me to advoid hitting me. Now that traffic was slowed down I put the bike in electric motor mode and moved the bike up to the side of the road and gathered what had just happen.
So now here I am waiting and hope for the best ever possible outcome.
Wish me luck and send me prayers!
I hope to return very soon to provide an update, until then upset, not happy and not liking this bike and lost the love for it.
CanadianMohawk likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Garage
That's a bummer. Keep us informed on fix. I had to have my bike towed the other day with broken throttle cable and had a difficult time finding a wrecker in Houston.
graybeard likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Well just about 2 weeks now and no bike.
Let me explain.
On the 7th my Star Venture Transcontinental blew its motor, tick, tick, ticking sound then a serious backfire in the front cylinder and the bike died.
Y.E.S. was absolutely no help to get the bike off the road or towed. Trying to get this bike picked up by a tow company was a complete pain. Finally got it towed home and then over to the moto shop the next day and from here things Don't get any better. The shop is still troubling shooting the bike and the latest is stuck open valves from defective/broken valve springs as of Thursday but nothing confirmed yet.
Apparently mechanically the bike's motor is fine but no compression in the front cylinder which has made them think its open valves. No completely sold on this.
I have brought the bike in a few time for the faint ticking sound but was told that is normal v-twin motor noise.
Anyway the day the bike died the ticking sounds got very loud then after I pulled over to check it over I was thinking it was me just over exaggerating, shut the bike down went into the store and came out started the bike and when taking off a small backfire in the front cylinder and the ticking got louder and faster then boom, I mean booooommm! -- Crap do I have all my parts, ok I was good. The bike dead, wouldn't start, no horrible noise just no compression, now mind you, I am in the middle of a busy intersection and cars darted around me to advoid hitting me. Now that traffic was slowed down I put the bike in electric motor mode and moved the bike up to the side of the road and gathered what had just happen.
So now here I am waiting and hope for the best ever possible outcome.
Wish me luck and send me prayers!
I hope to return very soon to provide an update, until then upset, not happy and not liking this bike and lost the love for it.
Rich, can you explain a little deeper in how Yamaha Extended Service was no help to you, stranded on the roadway? Isn't all the coverage we are supposed to have...to take care of this unfortunate experience? Are they (Yamaha) going to fly a factory tech down to your dealership to take charge of this? This is their flagship bike...after all! I hope a solution, diagnosis, and FIX comes fast or at least in the next few working days, my friend. What worries me, is that you took care to have the proper YamaLube oil...and did all the oil changes per schedule. I'm shaking my head, that you say Y.E.S. was of no use to you, beyond having the standard warranty. That needs further explaining from Yamaha to you....

Rich,..if they (Yamaha) can give a 2018 SVTC FREE to Long Haul Paul,...maybe they should be delivering a new 2018 to you...A PAYING CUSTOMER/OWNER....and picking up this one...you have had a few problems... Call Yamaha tomorrow and say, come pick up your bike...and bring another...NEW... See if you get a 'Yes'....and mention, you are aware of Long Haul Paul getting a free one to ride, courtesy of Yamaha USA!

Post Edit: RIch, they can a do a number of things for you...that I'd be pushing for, being if it were my bike...I'd be either pushing for a totally new replacement bike...or...a new RE and RE motor swap. Honda has done that at least 8 times that I know of, for GL1800 owners that had serious, or reoccurring failures, one after the other. My own Honda dealership swapped out two GL1800 engines for customers...so this DOES get done. Just some suggestions....

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-26-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 04:55 PM

What was your mileage? I'm thinking if I can make it to 10,000 I'm most likely not going to have major engine trouble...

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #5 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter

Well believe me I have called Yamaha and explains that a new engine replacement or new bike was in order. My statement to them was I bought new and your bike failed so I want new back. Reply was too bad (really sorry to hear that) we ship parts not bikes.
As for Y.E.S, when I called they said find a towing company and we will cover 50 dollars. I asked them who do I call, how do I strap this down, what do I do, I have never had a bike fail me, never. Their reply was the tow company will know, well I had 2 show after waiting hours to state no way we can't tow that. The final company called thru my insurance came out and allowed me to help strap this down as best as we could figure out with out scratching or damaging the bike.
My dealer has called Yamaha numous times to only get another something to check. Last Wednesday the shop was told to drain the oil which I was told was as clean as it went in.
I have been in contact with Chief for input and guidance since unfortunately he had gone thru this.
So upset to say the least.
post #6 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
What was your mileage? I'm thinking if I can make it to 10,000 I'm most likely not going to have major engine trouble...
Hey Buckfan, I have about 7800 miles and 9 months old.
post #7 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Well believe me I have called Yamaha and explains that a new engine replacement or new bike was in order. My statement to them was I bought new and your bike failed so I want new back. Reply was too bad (really sorry to hear that) we ship parts not bikes.
As for Y.E.S, when I called they said find a towing company and we will cover 50 dollars. I asked them who do I call, how do I strap this down, what do I do, I have never had a bike fail me, never. Their reply was the tow company will know, well I had 2 show after waiting hours to state no way we can't tow that. The final company called thru my insurance came out and allowed me to help strap this down as best as we could figure out with out scratching or damaging the bike.
My dealer has called Yamaha numous times to only get another something to check. Last Wednesday the shop was told to drain the oil which I was told was as clean as it went in.
I have been in contact with Chief for input and guidance since unfortunately he had gone thru this.
So upset to say the least.
As a fellow SVTC owner...I can only wish you an expedited fix and repair. Probably Rich,...after they figure what failed,...and get everything measured, mic'ed and set to factory spec...you will most likely have many, many years of this time,---->carefree miles. Remember...this isn't happening to each and every SVTC out there...so, that being typed...once they set your engine back to factory spec, with parts that won't fail again...you will once more, be out there, taking the S-bends...and only enjoying the ride...and not memories of what you presently are going through as an owner. Hang in there...it will be taken care of... Yamaha has to deliver back to you, a totally spec'ed out and working SVTC...the all of it!

Hang in there, Pawdner!

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-26-2019 at 03:23 PM.
post #8 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:25 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=lesblank;990746]That's a bummer. Keep us informed on fix. I had to have my bike towed the other day with broken throttle cable and had a difficult time finding a wrecker in Houston.[
Sorry to hear that about the throttle cable.
I certainly will provide updates as I have more.
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Hey Buckfan, I have about 7800 miles and 9 months old.
I have just over 8,000 since last May. Hang in there...and you'll get your bike back, with carefree tours to be had. You do have a 5 year warranty...and I am gambling, that you won't be using the last 4...
post #10 of 294 (permalink) Old 01-20-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
As a fellow SVTC owner...I can only wish you an expedited fix and repair. Probably Garth...after they figure what failed,...and get everything measured, mic'ed and set to factory spec...you will most likely have many, many years of this time,---->carefree miles. Remember...this isn't happening to each and every SVTC out there...so, that being typed...once they set your engine back to factory spec, with parts that won't fail again...you will once more, be out there, taking the S-bends...and only enjoying the ride...and not memories of what you presently are going through as an owner. Hang in there...it will be taken care of... Yamaha has to deliver back to you, a totally spec'ed out and working SVTC...the all of it!

Hang in there, Pawdner!

Joe
Thanks YamahaParExcellence your words are encouraging and the same as what Chief has been talking to me about as well, glad to have the words and thoughts of goodness from everyone.
Right now it is very hard to comprehend, I am beside myself. You can ask Chief that now this happened I lost the love.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode