35,000 miles on Long Haul Paul's SVTC... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 809
35,000 miles on Long Haul Paul's SVTC...

Here is a video of all the service work that is being done at the 35,000 mile mark!

LHP, is literally beating the **** outta his SVTC...riding it in Winter salt spray...grime...mud...grit...sand...and he hasn't had any valve train issues. I guess, that that does prove that in hundreds built...some are going to come off the factory floor with 'problems'...and 97%,...not. Roll of the dice...
He's ridden through deserts, high mountain passes, who knows...probably has forded a few streams, lol...who knows what this guy does with, -----> and to, his 2018 SVTC...I mean...look at the cosmetic condition of the bike... Bottom line...35,000 reliable miles, on a bike put through **HELL**, and no apparent problems. That is encouraging....

Lonestar likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 01-23-2019 at 08:14 AM.
YamahaParExcellence is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
I wish they would have shown the front valve cover off and a little more about the tank removal but I think I now understand the removal of the fuel tank because the service manual is rather lacking in the removal of the fuel tank leaving a lot of speculation but now that I see it off and he pointed out where the fuel tank sets on the front damper as its called in the service manual it does not look to bad.

I do wish he would have said if they had to adjust the valves or if they were within spec and if they were out how much out of spec they were.
American is offline  
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by American View Post
I wish they would have shown the front valve cover off and a little more about the tank removal but I think I now understand the removal of the fuel tank because the service manual is rather lacking in the removal of the fuel tank leaving a lot of speculation but now that I see it off and he pointed out where the fuel tank sets on the front damper as its called in the service manual it does not look to bad.

I do wish he would have said if they had to adjust the valves or if they were within spec and if they were out how much out of spec they were.

he said they were a little out of spec at 35k and needed adjusting. Read it on his Facebook post.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
he said they were a little out of spec at 35k and needed adjusting. Read it on his Facebook post.
I must have missed it but I did pan back and forward to try and see the mounts for the fuel tank so maybe I went past that.

I don't do facebook.
American is offline  
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:09 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,962
Garage
instead the valve-pair spec something like 0.0015" ?

how do you measure how far out it was?!
KCW is offline  
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:52 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
Here is a video of all the service work that is being done at the 35,000 mile mark!

LHP, is literally beating the **** outta his SVTC...riding it in Winter salt spray...grime...mud...grit...sand...and he hasn't had any valve train issues. I guess, that that does prove that in hundreds built...some are going to come off the factory floor with 'problems'...and 97%,...not. Roll of the dice...
He's ridden through deserts, high mountain passes, who knows...probably has forded a few streams, lol...who knows what this guy does with, -----> and to, his 2018 SVTC...I mean...look at the cosmetic condition of the bike... Bottom line...35,000 reliable miles, on a bike put through **HELL**, and no apparent problems. That is encouraging....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2r2ewX_x0NM
Another excellent find by Mr. Excellence!! Thank you Sir!! I am sure as time goes on we will get to see/read more about the ins and outs of what goes into maintaining one of these amazing machines! I tip my hat to Mr. Paul for putting the machine thru it's paces and showing us all how it's done, he is one amazing person!!
On another note, I was reading in the comment section of the video on YouTube where someone who obviously follows the forums here wrote a note to encourage Mr. Paul to assist in the recovery of the recent fallen machine. I know that you (Mr. Excellence) mentioned this in the other thread about GaRider's issues with Star Yamaha and the broken bike and will post it over there as an encouragement to GaRider but thought readers of this thread might find it interesting too. Here is a copy/paste of the response off Mr. Paul's YouTube video I am referring to:

""Very well done Long Haul, THANK YOU!! You are indeed a fortunate person to have had Yamaha give you that brand new SVTC free of charge and now to have access to Yamaha Dealership Service Departments to not only support you and your free ride but to also allow you to actually work on your/their bike inside of a shop - that is AWESOME! Of course you know that any "normal" rider would in no way have access to this type of assistance. As a matter of fact, most - if not all - new owners of the SVTC are not even allowed past the service counters in the very Dealerships where they laid down $30,000 of their own money and this even being the case if they are broke down out of town and trying to get help - you are obviously not in that common set of shoes - congrats!! In that you are also obviously hooked up solid with Yamaha, I wonder if you would be willing to help out a fellow SVTC rider who actually paid hard earned cash for his bike and not as fortunate as yourself? I was reading on one of the forums (StarBikeForums) where a person named "GARIDER", who actually paid out of pocket cash for his SVTC, has blown an engine on his bike with less then 8000 miles on it, as others who have laid out hard earned cash for the SVTC have experienced and just like those similar owners, is having a HORRIBLE time getting help from Yamaha. Maybe check in over there at Starbikeforums and offer to use your obvious pull/connection/status with Yamaha to get him some help? THAT would be AWESOME and highly noteworthy!!""
Lonestar is offline  
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 10:56 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
instead the valve-pair spec something like 0.0015" ?

how do you measure how far out it was?!
With a feeler gauge, if it was out spec what was the clearance i.e. .002? .003? .004?

That would give us an indication how this engine is wearing the valve train.

Maximum clearance per the service manual is .0016 which is pretty much zero tolerance.

The closest feeler gauge I could find only goes down to .0015 which is just under the maximum clearance. Pretty much due to the hydraulic lifter you set the clearance at zero lash and it is said that if you can't get a ..0015 feeler gauge between the valve stem and the rocker arm to call it good and button it back up.
American is offline  
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:05 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,962
Garage
^ thats good if the valve is loose

but how do you measure the how far out it was if its 0.oo10" or 0.ooo50"

I dont see how they can even spec it to be 1.5 thou max and what? zero min?

maybe it is zero min. If you have two valves on one tappet, if one is touching the other must be either touching or slightly loose

if you tighten that one up till its touching the other one would be loose...

it has one hydraulic lifter per pair, right? Those usually self adjust to zero.
KCW is offline  
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:16 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
I have to question how they measured the valve clearance on the the motorcycle in the video, if he rode it to the dealer that morning there is no way they could properly check the valves, you need to have the engine completely cold to check and adjust the valve clearance.

The engine per the manual has to be cold at room temperature. I know it was done up north and it is cold up there but I have yet to hear a dealer that does not demand the motorcycle be left over night so the engine has not been run before they check the valves.
KCW likes this.
American is offline  
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:23 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Cape Coral, Florida
Posts: 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
^ thats good if the valve is loose

but how do you measure the how far out it was if its 0.oo10" or 0.ooo50"

I dont see how they can even spec it to be 1.5 thou max and what? zero min?

maybe it is zero min. If you have two valves on one tappet, if one is touching the other must be either touching or slightly loose

if you tighten that one up till its touching the other one would be loose...

it has one hydraulic lifter per pair, right? Those usually self adjust to zero.
Simple you just loosen the lock nut back off the tappet screw and reset it. If you are opening up the valve covers anyway you might as well just reset the lash at zero anyway.

By backing off the tappet adjustment screw you let the rocker arm touch the top of the non adjustable valve and then you slowly screw in the tappet adjustment screw until it just makes contact with the valve now both valves will be just barely making contact with the rocker arm and the valve lash will effectively be set at zero lash. Now tighten the lock nut on the tappet adjustment screw being careful not to turn the tappet adjustment screw while tightening the lock nut.

The hydraulic lifter should compensate for the rest.

Last edited by American; 01-24-2019 at 11:26 AM.
American is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome