Remote battery life - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
Remote battery life

--

On your '18 Venture/Eluder, have you changed out the battery on your remote start fob? If so, how many months of use or how many miles before it quit?

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
--

On your '18 Venture/Eluder, have you changed out the battery on your remote start fob? If so, how many months of use or how many miles before it quit?

--
I got 6 months out of my original as-shipped battery. I am now turning off the key fob transmitter, when not near the bike, and that means days or hours not riding. Why have the key fob radio, actively seeking the bikes transmitter, when you have no intention of being around it? BTW, if the bike's receptor radio doesn't sniff a signal from the key fob handshake, it too, will shut down the system, so as not to drain the bike's battery. But to do that with the key fob, you have to manually turn it off with the long key press, and then turn it on, with another long key press when wanting it to wake up the bike. FYI.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 05:37 AM

Quote:
--

--
RonK I am still on the same battery and it has been 11 months and I haven't turned the key fob off. Also there is a thread on this forum that shows how the battery is changed. Some on the forum had to change out their battery within a few months.
I believe it was NGM that posted the video.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 09:02 PM

I was getting key detection errors after a couple of months. A bought a 5 pack and carry on the bike.
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:00 AM

Garage
I purchased my bike in September 2018 and no issues yet. I'm waiting till spring or a dry day to see if it will work

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:05 AM

Garage
I wish they had made it more evident whether the key was turned off/on. I think that when your turn it off, it blinks once. When you turn it on, it blinks once - marginally longer. Of course I could be backwards.

Would have been that hard to make it blink once for off, and twice for on? Kinda like remote lock/unlock on your car. There have been a couple of times when I have walked up to the bike, turned the remote on, and then sat down and lifted the bike upright only to be greeted by the alarm going off. Then you have to dig in your pocket and turn the remote on AGAIN and silence the alarm.

It's bad enough when you're by yourself. It's worse when it's in public with people around, or 6 in the morning.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 06:22 PM

Quote:
--

--

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
Thanks for posting Buckfan. Also note that if your bin is locked and the fob and key are in the locked bin or you can not locate the fob or key you can flex the bin enough to press the button. I was at a demo that they needed to do this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 PM

Haven't changed my battery since I took delivery in Dec of 2017 and almost 23k on it so far.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
I got 6 months out of my original as-shipped battery. I am now turning off the key fob transmitter, when not near the bike, and that means days or hours not riding. Why have the key fob radio, actively seeking the bikes transmitter, when you have no intention of being around it? BTW, if the bike's receptor radio doesn't sniff a signal from the key fob handshake, it too, will shut down the system, so as not to drain the bike's battery. But to do that with the key fob, you have to manually turn it off with the long key press, and then turn it on, with another long key press when wanting it to wake up the bike. FYI.
Because my bike was built in 2017, I thought it would be a good idea to just go ahead and drop in a new battery, right? No problem - $5 for a single battery to save a nightmare later in the summer. All I can say is: the easy part was opening up the remote. Whoever is in charge of packaging those "rabbit" batteries, should be charged with criminal harassment; that was ridiculous... But it's done, and I feel good about that detail for at least a year.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode