MPG Backwards? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 8Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Bucfan11
  • 1 Post By GARider
  • 1 Post By Packerjim
  • 3 Post By ChiefGunner
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
MPG Backwards?

Went on a 200 mile 2-up ride today for lunch averaged 44 MPG best yet! I don't know what the issue is but when I ride alone I only get mid 30"S...

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:19 PM
Senior Member
 
GARider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
Went on a 200 mile 2-up ride today for lunch averaged 44 MPG best yet! I don't know what the issue is but when I ride alone I only get mid 30"S...
Wow it is so odd that you stated this. I was going to say I wonder if those that ride two up have less wind resistance. I think riding alone the wind hit the rear seat and slows the bike hence less mileage MPG. Because I am not getting in the 40's but I still haven't have the chance to put many miles on the new parts in the motor yet to find out if I get better MPG than before the motor got rebuilt.
GARider is online now  
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Wow it is so odd that you stated this. I was going to say I wonder if those that ride two up have less wind resistance. I think riding alone the wind hit the rear seat and slows the bike hence less mileage MPG. Because I am not getting in the 40's but I still haven't have the chance to put many miles on the new parts in the motor yet to find out if I get better MPG than before the motor got rebuilt.
I was being sarcastic. I know why, my wrist turns a lot farther and faster when she is not on back! On a side note, I noticed a noise on the way back home today, my bike now makes a noise between 60-65 mph that sounded like maybe my front belt pulley just barely scraping it's cover. I discovered if I pull the clutch in the noise disappears, I believe it is tranny noise as it only makes it in 6th gear. Motor still running great at almost 10,000. I did have 1 backfire today.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 04:47 PM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,976
Garage
1. you happened to catch a good tail wind today
2. It takes 4 times as much fuel to go twice as fast
3. People tend not to go WFO with a passenger
4. you were distracted and did not fill the tank up all the way

On this forum we obey the laws of physics young man!
Keith Post likes this.
KCW is offline  
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Bucfan11's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
1. you happened to catch a good tail wind today
2. It takes 4 times as much fuel to go twice as fast
3. People tend not to go WFO with a passenger
4. you were distracted and did not fill the tank up all the way

On this forum we obey the laws of physics young man!

I pick #3 in my case.
Keith Post and KCW like this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Bucfan11 is offline  
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 07:48 PM
Senior Member
 
GARider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I was being sarcastic. I know why, my wrist turns a lot farther and faster when she is not on back! On a side note, I noticed a noise on the way back home today, my bike now makes a noise between 60-65 mph that sounded like maybe my front belt pulley just barely scraping it's cover. I discovered if I pull the clutch in the noise disappears, I believe it is tranny noise as it only makes it in 6th gear. Motor still running great at almost 10,000. I did have 1 backfire today.
Hehehe. faceplam. I wonder if that is the same noise I had at times. It sounded like a jackhammer sound for a few seconds at a time, sometimes faint and sometimes loud.
Also I still think it's wind drag...
Maybe it's the extra twist of the throttle, now I am confused.......
Keith Post likes this.
GARider is online now  
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:14 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 52
[B]MPG Backwords
GPM
Keith Post likes this.

Packer Jim
Packerjim is offline  
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:23 PM
Senior Member
 
ChiefGunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Rockwell, NC.
Posts: 1,696
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I was being sarcastic. I know why, my wrist turns a lot farther and faster when she is not on back! On a side note, I noticed a noise on the way back home today, my bike now makes a noise between 60-65 mph that sounded like maybe my front belt pulley just barely scraping it's cover. I discovered if I pull the clutch in the noise disappears, I believe it is tranny noise as it only makes it in 6th gear. Motor still running great at almost 10,000. I did have 1 backfire today.
Hehehe. faceplam. I wonder if that is the same noise I had at times. It sounded like a jackhammer sound for a few seconds at a time, sometimes faint and sometimes loud.
Also I still think it's wind drag...
Maybe it's the extra twist of the throttle, now I am confused.......
I notice a drop in mileage when I ride around in Sport Mode. It does use more gas and the better response makes me “romp” on it more. That being said, I think it’s combination of Sport Mode & single rider. Who cares if you’re having fun right?!!
Keith Post, GARider and Yamaha Pat like this.
ChiefGunner is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vstar 950 not roll backwards in gear thetruck454 V Star 26 04-01-2012 09:08 PM
poor fuel mpg? tice Raider 13 01-14-2012 07:31 AM
MPG question *Sam* V Star 30 10-13-2011 08:12 PM
mpg pipes Turbo V Star 5 03-11-2011 05:08 PM
Mpg Turbo New Member Introductions 4 05-28-2009 10:32 AM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome