How's The Seat? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

How's The Seat?

I plan on doing some very long rides this year on my new bike. Has anyone had a long trip on the SVTC and had a chance to evaluate the seat? Thanks.

2018 Venture Transcontinental (620 miles)
1975 Goldwing (16546 miles)
1974 Kawasaki Z1 (only God knows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
I plan on doing some very long rides this year on my new bike. Has anyone had a long trip on the SVTC and had a chance to evaluate the seat? Thanks.
The 2018 SVTC OEM saddle is excellent for both the rider and the co-rider. I have a Corbin Gunslinger and Lady saddle on my 2004 Kawasaki ZR-7S, but have no intentions of replacing my SVTC OEM saddle. My wife and I can be upon that saddle with the usual butt-breaks/fuel stops, for easily over 12 hours without butt-cheek fatigue or pain. We both couldn't say the same for our stock OEM 2008 GL1800 saddle. The SVTC has so many things right, OEM, and the saddle is one of 'em.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 02-24-2019 at 11:53 AM.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks. I appreciate your comments. Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can find out!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate your comments. Can't wait for the weather to improve so I can find out!
Did you buy your SVTC over the Winter months, and haven't yet had a few hundred miles under your belt? Just wondering...as most forum readers would...

We got ours last May, and have:

1....taken weekend trips throughout the riding season,
2. Toured from Toronto to Nova Scotia, and took the simply ***amazing*** Cape Breton Island full tour. Came back home through Bar Harbor, Maine....
3. Did the Lake Superior Northern Tour, as well as the Upper Peninsula of Michigan.
4. Went down to visit in August, family in Phoenix, Arizona. Our SVTC performed flawlessly.
5. To close off last season, in late October, we took in the Fall colors by heading to Wawa, Ontario, then coming back, went over to Manitoulin Island, took the Ferry over to Tobermory, pigged out on fresh White Fish overlooking the harbor....and then down the peninsula back over to Toronto.

All in all, not one hiccup, burp, falter, back step...from our 2018 SVTC. A simply fabulous grand touring bike....and we are this year (2019) as one of our two major trips (we see Tours----> as major and minor) we are heading out to Boise, Idaho,, up through Montana....back home through Minnesota....and butt-breaking all the way...what interests us...we'll stop and hike, or tour....that sort of easy laid-back motorcycle vacation. We love the carry capacity of the SVTC and will be packing for not only motel/hotel stays, but for camping as well. We love Provincial/State Parks, as well as all the usual franchised suspects.

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 02-24-2019 at 09:41 PM.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

I purchase my SVTC three weeks ago. Still to much snow and ice to go ridng yet. I plan on a number of long rides this season. The longest trip is from Maine to Portland, OR. That's why I asked about the seat.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:55 PM

Quote:
I purchase my SVTC three weeks ago. Still to much snow and ice to go ridng yet. I plan on a number of long rides this season. The longest trip is from Maine to Portland, OR. That's why I asked about the seat.
Maine to Portland...no worries...I'd just advise really treating the bike gently within the first 600 miles of break-in...then...read upon this forum of the necessity for a good high level friction cushion formulation in the 10W40, 15W50, or 20W50 viscosity rating. This bike puts a huge demand on the oil formulation to prevent scoring and galling between the cam lobes and the flat lifter surfaces, due to four high performance valve springs having to be opened by the cam/flat lifter contact points. Keep this in mind...and you will have no problems with the rest of the engine...for it is truly built like a tank.

I'd also ONLY use a full synthetic formulation. If you stick with YamaLube 15W50, you can't go wrong....for it has a high ESTER formulation, with a good ZDDP back up. I have only used YamaLube Full Synth 15W50 since my first oil change last May, coming off my 600 mile break in, and the engine only produces those fabulous sounds from the tips of the mufflers, and that of a busy mechanical MONSTOR 113 C.I. mile gulper...

Enjoy getting to Oregon....you own the right bike for the journey!

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 02-24-2019 at 09:40 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 05:07 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks for the info. I'll probably have 1500 miles on my bike when I leave. I'm an Amsoil guy so I'll stick with that. They have a great synthetic twin oil. Just trying to make up my mind between 10w-50 or 15w-60 (for high heat areas).

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I'll probably have 1500 miles on my bike when I leave. I'm an Amsoil guy so I'll stick with that. They have a great synthetic twin oil. Just trying to make up my mind between 10w-50 or 15w-60 (for high heat areas).
Yes, Amzoil is a good brand, used it quite a bit in my different Goldwings, mostly as 10W40. Enjoy your SVTC this season!
crossbowme likes this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:25 PM

Garage
I find the OEM seat to be extremely comfortable, which is a first for me as I almost always end up switching out the seat on bikes. I've done a 2000+ mile ride over the course of a week and really didn't have any complaint about seat comfort. I stopped every couple hours to stretch my legs and had no issues. My wife hasn't done any trips beyond a few hours with me, so I can't really speak to the long ride comfort of the seat for the passenger. I did install Rox risers for just a bit more pull back on the bars... quick and easy job, took about 20 mins and stock cables are all fine.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Thanks. That is the kind of info I need.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode