Some Musings About The SVTC - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By crossbowme
  • 1 Post By KCW

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Some Musings About The SVTC

I'm trying to get my 600 miles on the old girl but the weather just won't get out of the 30's. Luckily I snowmobile so I have the clothes. However, as I ride down sand strewn roads and freeze my nuts off, here are some observations.

1. As far as the reason I bought her for, she does excellent. Truly a long range bike. Comfortable seat (so far).
2. It is taking me a little getting use to the low rpm vs my other bikes. First time I took it off I shifted to late and hit the limiter. Not sure that's a big deal but I'm realizing that I need to think is "lugging" and then I make my shifts where they belong.
3. Everywhere here is snow, ice and mud. I tried to start off in a bad area yesterday and found the rear wheeel spinning. Not wanting to spin out on a 1000# bike I decided to use the electric drive and crawled out of the bad area. Pretty cool. Love the hand/seat warmers. Makes a huge difference. The wind deflectors help warm you, too.
4. Mileage doesn't appear to good but I'm just breaking it in.
5. I converted my helmet to wireless as well as the bike. A little pricey but it appears worth it.
lesblank likes this.

2018 Venture Transcontinental (620 miles)
1975 Goldwing (16546 miles)
1974 Kawasaki Z1 (only God knows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 AM

Your gas mileage won't be very good when it is cold outside. I was riding yesterday around central MN in 40 degrees. I was getting about 36 mpg, when I had it in Arizona riding in the 70's I was getting mid 40's. It has about 800 miles on it.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 10:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
I'm trying to get my 600 miles on the old girl but the weather just won't get out of the 30's. Luckily I snowmobile so I have the clothes. However, as I ride down sand strewn roads and freeze my nuts off, here are some observations.

1. As far as the reason I bought her for, she does excellent. Truly a long range bike. Comfortable seat (so far).
2. It is taking me a little getting use to the low rpm vs my other bikes. First time I took it off I shifted to late and hit the limiter. Not sure that's a big deal but I'm realizing that I need to think is "lugging" and then I make my shifts where they belong.
3. Everywhere here is snow, ice and mud. I tried to start off in a bad area yesterday and found the rear wheeel spinning. Not wanting to spin out on a 1000# bike I decided to use the electric drive and crawled out of the bad area. Pretty cool. Love the hand/seat warmers. Makes a huge difference. The wind deflectors help warm you, too.
4. Mileage doesn't appear to good but I'm just breaking it in.
5. I converted my helmet to wireless as well as the bike. A little pricey but it appears worth it.
If you were “spinning out”, you needed to turn your “Traction Control” ON.
It’s that triangular button near the top left of your tach gauge. Conditions like that are exactly what it’s made for!
If you’re still tryouts ng to get break in mileage, I’d highly recommend you read your owners manual AND the Infotainment manual at least 3 times. Then go out and play with the functions with your manual in hand. The better you familiarize yourself with buttons & system operation now, the easier it’ll be to do it second nature while riding. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 03-21-2019 at 11:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
It’s that triangular button near the top left of your tach gauge. Conditions like that are exactly what it’s made for!
If you’re still tryouts ng to get break in mileage, I’d highly recommend you read your owners manual AND the Infotainment manual at least 3 times. Then go out and play with the functions with your manual in hand. The better you familiarize yourself with buttons & system operation now, the easier it’ll be to do it second nature while riding. Just a suggestion.
The traction control was on. This ice was clear and a couple of hundred feet long and 2 inches thick with water on it. Not sure what else it could do. The roads are starting to dry, but it will be a while before they are gone.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:53 AM

Quote:
The traction control was on. This ice was clear and a couple of hundred feet long and 2 inches thick with water on it. Not sure what else it could do. The roads are starting to dry, but it will be a while before they are gone.
Yes, traction control doen't really work on ice. Seems to work on sandy roads.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:21 PM
KCW

Garage
I can imagine the 8 engineers in a conference room discussing the parameters for the traction control:

We need to set the threshold low enough so the MC can run on wet ice.

3 minutes of laughter

OMG Bob... good one!
Yamaha Pat likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium

Actually, we have guys here using car tires that go on the ice. No good in snow though. Using small, lite bikes.

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 06:06 PM

Garage
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Ok, I guess I did t catch the severity of the conditions you were describing. Sheer ice won’t work in anything but VERY SLOW and easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode