Spark plug change - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Spark plug change

Well, there was a post somewhere talking about changing the spark plugs without having to pull the gas tank as the manual says.
Well, today I put that to the test and can say it does work.
You have to take out the two screws at the base of the gas tank and then lift it up enough to stick a small 2x4 under it. That will give you enough clearance to easily get the left & right rear. Pull the breather cover off on the left side and you can reach the left front plug. Now, reaching the right front is a bit more of a pain. Remove the air filter cover and filter. Then you’ll see the back plate which has the intake tube going to the carb. It has two screws that you need to remove and then “gently” rotate the back plate clockwise about 40 degrees. That will give you enough access to reach the right front plug.
Remember not to over tighten the plugs. They are torqued to 13ft.lbs.
Reverse dis-assembly to put it back together. Viola!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Well, there was a post somewhere talking about changing the spark plugs without having to pull the gas tank as the manual says.
Well, today I put that to the test and can say it does work.
You have to take out the two screws at the base of the gas tank and then lift it up enough to stick a small 2x4 under it. That will give you enough clearance to easily get the left & right rear. Pull the breather cover off on the left side and you can reach the left front plug. Now, reaching the right front is a bit more of a pain. Remove the air filter cover and filter. Then you’ll see the back plate which has the intake tube going to the carb. It has two screws that you need to remove and then “gently” rotate the back plate clockwise about 40 degrees. That will give you enough access to reach the right front plug.
Remember not to over tighten the plugs. They are torqued to 13ft.lbs.
Reverse dis-assembly to put it back together. Viola!
Hw much harder would it have been to remove the tank? Sometime before June I have to check my valves and might as well change the plugs at that point. I have a service manual and have read through it. It seemed to me it was not to many more steps too take off the tank.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing

Last edited by Bucfan11; 04-15-2019 at 07:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode