Head Set and Mapping - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

Head Set and Mapping

My pre-ordered 2020 Venture TC should arrive in July and I have been doing a fair bit of research on what I am getting. I have two questions in case someone can assist me:

1. To use the communication system (for speaking and listening) the Yamaha website has a plug in system (rather expensive at CDN$540 for the two required pieces) but I prefer blue tooth, do you know if I can sync a blue tooth device in place of the Yamaha option? and if not do you know if there are quality aftermarket alternatives to Yamaha's offering? I wanted to ask before laying down over $500.

2. I have also done research on the built in GPS with regard to downloading maps. I have a great Garmin GPS that I do all my route planning on my PC and download to the Garmin. From what I read there is very limited options on route planning in the GPS software on the Venture (a limit of six map points and one route at a time and I can't do it on my computer and download) or am I missing something? If I have to I will install my Garmin on the Venture but it seemed like duplication.

Your help would be greatly appreciated because I am trying to get fully set up for when the bike arrives.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 04:41 PM

You can use HD 7 pin headset's, they work perfect and are far, far cheaper the J&M set.

Yes, the GPS is very limited.
RobG likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 06:34 PM Thread Starter

Rob, thank you for the information, you have probably saved me some significant $ on the head seat and I expect Harley has more options vs the one offered by Yamaha. Also I gathered the GPS is very limited but I could not find anything specific on it. Now I have the challenge of figuring out how to install my Garmin GPS without obstructing my view of the instrument panel.

I assume there is no option for using a blue tooth headset?

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post

I assume there is no option for using a blue tooth headset?

Thanks again.
I cant help you with that as I have no desire for a bluetooth headset. The GPS is fine with me but I dont use a lot of waypoints, those that do complain heavily about this GPS.
RobG likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

I do a lot of long distance route planning and therefore have a lot of way points sometimes. Therefore if I am on a long trip I will use the Garmin if not I am sure the built in GPS will be more than fine.

I am really looking forward to the delivery of my bike, but it will be sad to say goodbye to the Roadstar, been a great bike.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-24-2019, 09:40 PM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
Quote:

I am really looking forward to the delivery of my bike, but it will be sad to say goodbye to the Roadstar, been a great bike.

Rob
--

You can do both, you know. I do. The thing is, though, that every time I get on the Eluder and realize how much bigger it seems than the R*, makes it hard to want to let it go. So I ride the R* the half year I'm in Arizona. The Eluder is for summer and the rest of the USA.

As I've put it to my son (to whom I'm giving one of my R*s), the R* is so much more forgiving than the Eluder.

--
RobG likes this.

--
2018 Star Eluder GT
2000 Road Star
--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
I do a lot of long distance route planning and therefore have a lot of way points sometimes. Therefore if I am on a long trip I will use the Garmin if not I am sure the built in GPS will be more than fine.

Thanks again for your help.

Rob
I found a work around for the limited 10 way points (not 6). Just save each days portion of the route separately with up to 10 waypoints in it. Just upload each morning before you begin the days ride.
It works!
ta_smith02 and RobG like this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM
Lifetime Premium

I have the J&M dongle and helmet bluetooth. I can "talk" to my TC and cellphone. Love it.

2018 Venture Transcontinental (620 miles)
1975 Goldwing (16546 miles)
1974 Kawasaki Z1 (only God knows)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 11:09 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossbowme View Post
I have the J&M dongle and helmet bluetooth. I can "talk" to my TC and cellphone. Love it.
Never understood why people have a problem with being “corded”. It’s no big deal and the new J&M 801 ELITE headsets were made to Yamaha’s specifications on the stereo. They sound great! When talking in the phone while riding people can’t even tell I’m on the bike. No, they weren’t cheap, but then again.. true QUALITY never is.
RobG likes this.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
--

You can do both, you know. I do. The thing is, though, that every time I get on the Eluder and realize how much bigger it seems than the R*, makes it hard to want to let it go. So I ride the R* the half year I'm in Arizona. The Eluder is for summer and the rest of the USA.

As I've put it to my son (to whom I'm giving one of my R*s), the R* is so much more forgiving than the Eluder.

--
I would keep the Roadstar too but in Ontario there is no discount on insuring two bikes...so rather than paying the extra insurance I will just travel more instead.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode