Volume settings Headset vs. SVTC speakers. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 11:11 AM Thread Starter

Volume settings Headset vs. SVTC speakers.

Two questions:

1) Is this normal?
On my SVTC with J&M headset bought from Yamaha.
The volume setting for speaker system only has to be set to a maximum of 4 or 5 to hear at highway speed. Any higher and will blow you out of cockpit. But my headset volume has to be cranked up to at least 10 to hear anything even sitting still.
So no way to have music on bike speakers and headset at same time. Same result with either of two headsets.

2) I am having intermittant problem switching ON sound to headset. I am having to plug in headset with bike off, switch to ACC and then to ON with the ignition to get the headset to tun ON. If I toggle headset OFF then can not toggle back on while driving. I can toggle bike speakers ON/OFF while driving???

Thanks in advance for any insight.

p.s. Taking to dealer is last resort. Do not have a good service department near me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 02:31 PM

1) Under settings there are volume control settings for your headsets and microphone.

Don't think I can answer anymore questions but I am pretty sure that some things can only be adjusted while bike is stationary.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

sdunker,
Yes, there are settings for Headset volume. My problem is that the setting I set in infotainment unit or using the volume control on handlebar sets both the bike speakers and headset volume to the same number. But the setting needed for headset is way higher than bike speakers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 06:30 PM

Garage
Hey, ChiefGunner, do the bike speakers have an amplifier that boosts the sound? I know on my brand X there is an amplifier post receiver for the speakers but the headset doesn't go thru it. The headset volumn always needs to be turned up pretty high. Kinda thinking out loud.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-29-2019, 09:37 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Hey, ChiefGunner, do the bike speakers have an amplifier that boosts the sound? I know on my brand X there is an amplifier post receiver for the speakers but the headset doesn't go thru it. The headset volumn always needs to be turned up pretty high. Kinda thinking out loud.
I usually set my headset volume around 13-15 out of 17 total for most functions except phone. I set that at max 17 because it can get hard to hear phone calls at 65+ mph. Below that it’s fine.
There is also a volume compensation setting. This automatically increases volume due to ambient wind noise. Has low, med & high setting. I run mine on high.
The sound can be run on headset internally AND external at same time. It gives you the best surround sound effect. I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9.
Remember that EACH function from comms to CB to radio etc EACH has there own separate volume control AND can also be selected WHERE the sound goes... ie your headset, passengers headset, BOTH and/or external speakers.
In answer to your “amplifier” question, all sound goes through the amplifier. The bike HAS capability for an “external amplifier” but I have no idea where you’d connect it.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 04-30-2019 at 06:02 AM.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2019, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

ChiefGunner,
I may have a problem with my infotainment system.

When you wrote " I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9."
- Is "master volume" the button on handlebar? If I set that above 5 the speakers on bike are so loud that it will blow me out of the cockpit.
- When I access the volume setting for headset it changes the master volume as well. Both the master volume control and the headset volume setting in infotainment system change together, whether I adjust master or headset.

Also, can the audio output to speakers / headset be toggled ON / OFF at any time? I am having to stop and switch ignition OFF then to ACC then to ON to toggle headset ON.

Thank you for your help.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
ChiefGunner,
I may have a problem with my infotainment system.

When you wrote " I run my helmet volume for music at about 13-15 and run external master volume at 6-9."
- Is "master volume" the button on handlebar? If I set that above 5 the speakers on bike are so loud that it will blow me out of the cockpit.
- When I access the volume setting for headset it changes the master volume as well. Both the master volume control and the headset volume setting in infotainment system change together, whether I adjust master or headset.

Also, can the audio output to speakers / headset be toggled ON / OFF at any time? I am having to stop and switch ignition OFF then to ACC then to ON to toggle headset ON.

Thank you for your help.
Not sure about the “toggle on the fly” issue. I’ve never tried that. I just set what I wanted initially while in the garage before venturing out.
What software version are you running? You should be 12.0.6 Is that what you have? There were a lot of weird “bugs” in an earlier version.

Last edited by ChiefGunner; 05-01-2019 at 07:31 AM.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

ChiefGunner,
Thank you for the reminder on software.
Yep. Had down revision in it. Have now uploaded 12.0.6. (I am a bit pissed at dealer.)The intermittant issues are gone. And "toggle on the fly" works fine.

I still need more volume out of headset or less from bike speakers. With headset audio set to 16 of 17 I still need "volume" set to 7 -8. Problem is, the loudness of bike speakers is too great at 7-8.
So, does anyone know if output to speakers can be reduced but maintain headset output?
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-13-2019, 06:11 PM

Garage
Quote:
ChiefGunner,
Thank you for the reminder on software.
Yep. Had down revision in it. Have now uploaded 12.0.6. (I am a bit pissed at dealer.)The intermittant issues are gone. And "toggle on the fly" works fine.

I still need more volume out of headset or less from bike speakers. With headset audio set to 16 of 17 I still need "volume" set to 7 -8. Problem is, the loudness of bike speakers is too great at 7-8.
So, does anyone know if output to speakers can be reduced but maintain headset output?
Are you adjusting the “correct” headset volume setting? Remember that the volume setting for a few items can be individually set.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Two questions:

1) Is this normal?
On my SVTC with J&M headset bought from Yamaha.
The volume setting for speaker system only has to be set to a maximum of 4 or 5 to hear at highway speed. Any higher and will blow you out of cockpit. But my headset volume has to be cranked up to at least 10 to hear anything even sitting still.
So no way to have music on bike speakers and headset at same time. Same result with either of two headsets.

2) I am having intermittant problem switching ON sound to headset. I am having to plug in headset with bike off, switch to ACC and then to ON with the ignition to get the headset to tun ON. If I toggle headset OFF then can not toggle back on while driving. I can toggle bike speakers ON/OFF while driving???

Thanks in advance for any insight.

p.s. Taking to dealer is last resort. Do not have a good service department near me.
Mine does the same thing. Believe it was designed that way.

2018 Venture Transcontinental (620 miles)
1975 Goldwing (16546 miles)
1974 Kawasaki Z1 (only God knows)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode