Oil Filter - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

I just bought 3 for $23 using pvkeepsyouboating for free shipping. $7.xx for the OEM is the best price I have seen.
GreenMtnHunter likes this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 08:37 AM

Garage
I changed oil shortly out of the box, as it was already two years old, and then swapped the filter at 550 miles. A goodly amount of oil does drop, unlike other Stars. I filled the filter and let it sit, and I thought I was being quick; it felt like not much more than when I do it to my Road Star, but I lost enough oil to drop the level below the stick, even on it's side, cold. The manual states that basically, the tank gets narrow at the top, I think it reads, "...the level will rise more quickly as the tank is filled".
The oil light has not lit, and I have not warmed it yet, as I've been installing the auxiliary lights.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
I changed oil shortly out of the box, as it was already two years old, and then swapped the filter at 550 miles. A goodly amount of oil does drop, unlike other Stars. I filled the filter and let it sit, and I thought I was being quick; it felt like not much more than when I do it to my Road Star, but I lost enough oil to drop the level below the stick, even on it's side, cold. The manual states that basically, the tank gets narrow at the top, I think it reads, "...the level will rise more quickly as the tank is filled".

The oil light has not lit, and I have not warmed it yet, as I've been installing the auxiliary lights.
I changed just my filter and measured the oil loss. I believe total oil loss was 8 Oz. There is another thread about it called "bike eating itself".

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 02:38 PM

Garage
That's what my dealer gave over the counter. Its the same filter that I used on my 2014 Stratoliner

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-13-2019, 05:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
I just bought 3 for $23 using pvkeepsyouboating for free shipping. $7.xx for the OEM is the best price I have seen.
Filters arrived today...2 days. Fantastic! I now have 4 OEM si I should me set for the next 8 months or so.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 08:32 PM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

By the way, I'm in the middle of some current research on oil filters. When in the past we've looked at Fram filters, we have always seen the standard Extra Guard that's been cut apart and has the cardboard ends. They also have a model made for 20,000 mile oil changes and synthetic oil called the Ultra Synthetic that when cut apart is a big step above the Extra Guard. It seems to be made at least comparable to any other top brand. I will get back on this, but what I'm seeing is an eye opener. We may be wrong to equate all filters from any company as being the same quality.

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode