16,000 mile surprise. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RonK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2019, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
16,000 mile surprise.

--

Although I only have 11,260 miles on my Eluder, I had it in to the dealer for the 16,000 mile check since I'm leaving on a long trip soon. The mechanic said he replaced the swingarm bearings as the ones from the factory were in backwards.

I don't know what the importance is of that since the mechanic was off today when I picked up the bike. But you might want to keep that in mind.

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 01:40 PM
Premium Member

Garage
I bought my 650 with 17,000 miles and decided to repack the swing arm bearings. Both bearing races had the hard face worn off and the bearings showed heat marks. All this occurred as someone had re-packed the bearings with chassis grease instead of bearing grease. Moral of this, just because something was done, doesn't mean it was done correctly.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-19-2019, 05:51 PM

Garage
All swing arm bearings I've run into were just normal roller bearings. I can't imagine how they would be classified as in backwards as there is no forward or backwards. That is unless some are different styles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:32 AM

Rufus, I find it hard to believe that chassis grease would ruin a bearing that barley moves, these bearing don't spin like wheel brgs. I would believe that could happen to bearings that were over tightened and got moisture in them.

Kent is correct, almost impossible to install swing arm bearing in backwards.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 09:26 AM

What strikes me as odd when I scan this thread is why would anyone even check the swing arm bearings at all? Is it an inspection point at a 16K checkup? Like sdunker says, they barely move at all (what? maybe a 10 to 20 degree arc, at most?) so it wouldn't seem to me to be something to be remotely concerned with until years/miles down the road.

750 Chris Here in this forum
750 Chris In VRA forum
Vn750Guy** In vulcanforums
750 Guy In VROC forum
Chris and Shim In vn750.com forum
Long retired USAF AMMO troop (74 to 95)
Fully retired now
2005 Yamaha Virago 250
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 10:17 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 750 Chris View Post
What strikes me as odd when I scan this thread is why would anyone even check the swing arm bearings at all? Is it an inspection point at a 16K checkup? Like sdunker says, they barely move at all (what? maybe a 10 to 20 degree arc, at most?) so it wouldn't seem to me to be something to be remotely concerned with until years/miles down the road.
Yes it is a check. Supposed to re-pack them with I think Lithium grease. Have to check the manual.
While there’s not a lot of motion like a wheel, it’s not so much the “motion” as it is the sheer force involved in what little motion there is. The SVTC weighs in at 964lbs!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 06:41 PM Thread Starter

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

Update. I spoke to the mechanic today on the reversed swingarm bearings. He said the problem wasn't that they were reversed, but there were two on the left side and one on the right. Should be the other way as there is more torque on the right from the drive belt.

--
lesblank likes this.

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-21-2019, 07:41 PM

Ah! That makes perfect sense. Looked at the parts fiche and it does show two on one side. Very good. Thanks for the update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode