Dumped it! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 9Likes
  • 2 Post By KCW
  • 2 Post By Bucfan11
  • 3 Post By Scrumdown
  • 2 Post By ChiefGunner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter

Dumped it!

Well, this one went 17,000 before laying over. Two up at a hotel on the shore of Lake Superior, parking lot inclined. I'm Goin up and make a right hand u turn... Oops bike is in third, down shif... Too late. I go to put my foot down but can't reach because of the incline. By the time I could touch the weight, angle, etc had the best of me. Scratched up the black plastic under the saddle bag. Dinged my pride a little as a bunch of old people were out...

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 07:27 PM

Garage
Glad you are OK. A few scratches can be fixed. Was it resting on bags or did it go all the way over? How hard was it to upright? Thanks for admitting it, most would not. Don't let it upset your vacation. Did you have a passenger? Trailer on?

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 08:47 PM
KCW

Garage
this is one of the risks they did not mention when I took the MSF course, we have to be aware of where we stop and make sure the ground is level side to side, so we can put both feet down

that means parking lots, driveways, going up or down hills and making a U turn - even if it means running a stop sign at slow speeds, a red light, or "taking" the right of way, over the years I have seen many places where I would not be able to stop with both feet down

and thinking you can hold the bike with just one foot is always a mistake

good that you and your ride are ok
Bucfan11 and JonMaz2112 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Glad you are OK. A few scratches can be fixed. Was it resting on bags or did it go all the way over? How hard was it to upright? Thanks for admitting it, most would not. Don't let it upset your vacation. Did you have a passenger? Trailer on?
Only damage was the scratched black plastic under the saddle bag. Two up with trailer. Uprighting it was easy with the same technique I used on the Wing. Butt against seat, one hand on grip the other on passenger handle and walk it back up.

lesblank and JonMaz2112 like this.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 11:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
this is one of the risks they did not mention when I took the MSF course, we have to be aware of where we stop and make sure the ground is level side to side, so we can put both feet down

that means parking lots, driveways, going up or down hills and making a U turn - even if it means running a stop sign at slow speeds, a red light, or "taking" the right of way, over the years I have seen many places where I would not be able to stop with both feet down

and thinking you can hold the bike with just one foot is always a mistake

good that you and your ride are ok
A month or so back, I was at a gas station to put air in the tires. Had both feet down. Look down & forward to my right to see if see the valve stem. And ... W.. T.. F.. Biggie was on her left side.
I had her back up before anyone saw a thing.
Nothing hurt except maybe my pride. Only reason I can come up with is I leaned down to right too much. Which means I leaned the bike to the left & my foot slipped on the gravel on the disintegrating concrete. Had I put the kickstand down, (LIKE I'M SUPPOSED TO), but the voice in my head said ... "Naahh, you have good balancing skills."
It's that same voice that says to the rest... "Here. Hold my beer."
@Bucfan11 ... Glad you're ok & the damage is minimal.

Ride Smart! Ride Often!
lesblank, KCW and Bucfan11 like this.

No matter what you ride. Just ride!

Last edited by Scrumdown; 06-06-2019 at 11:45 PM.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-07-2019, 07:57 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucfan11 View Post
Well, this one went 17,000 before laying over. Two up at a hotel on the shore of Lake Superior, parking lot inclined. I'm Goin up and make a right hand u turn... Oops bike is in third, down shif... Too late. I go to put my foot down but can't reach because of the incline. By the time I could touch the weight, angle, etc had the best of me. Scratched up the black plastic under the saddle bag. Dinged my pride a little as a bunch of old people were out...

Well @Bucfan11 at least you were riding yours when you dropped it.
As I posted on a different thread, mine did an unimpeded freefall to garage concrete floor! I had a 2x4 under the kickstand to upright the bike more for oil check and something else. I was on the left side and pushed the side panel on and that was all she wrote. I couldn’t grab it fast enough or have stopped it. The good news is that NOTHING was damaged. The bike stopped at about a 47 degree angle!
Glad you guys are ok.
Bucfan11 and Scrumdown like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode