Snuck onto the Forum, to impart two topics... :) - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 06:02 AM

Garage
Thanks for this post.
Is it safe to assume that the bike came in the crate with 20-50? And would YamaStar have used a conventional or a full synthetic? My dealer suggested it was a conventional, and that I should wait at least 2000 miles before going synthetic. As I have just over 300 miles on the bike, I am thinking about a quick swap with a general brand, (no filter) until I do the 600mile service, and get an early start on those benefits you mention....like the heat!

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:01 AM

There is absolutely no reason to wait to change over to synthetic. The bike came with conventional oil and I continue to run conventional oil in mne. I change every 4k and the oil still has its golden tint when it drains.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 08:03 AM

I drained the factory oil at 550 miles. I had warmed it up and it ran out of the engine like it was water. I am pretty sure it was a 40 weight oil. I installed Amsoil 10w-40 at that point. No problems as this engine has never used any oil. This is the same procedure I have used on all 3 of my yamaha's. An 84 Royale an 2007 RSV and now this one. None of them used any oil. I ran the 84 to 120,000 miles and the 2007 122,000 miles. I won't worry about putting synthetic in now as many engines now come with synthetic from the factory. It could have been synthetic that Yamaha original installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 10:38 AM

Garage
Yaowzaaa! ParExcellence, you are on to something here! I'm a snake oil skeptic, so I was not expecting the results I got... All I did was to drain the main tank, (3qts +plus a tad), and added 10w-40. Fired it up and less than two miles from the house, it was like I was on a different bike! So not all the tranny whine disappeared, but aside from slow speed throttle backs, it's gone. The shifting was smoother; the engine purred - chatter gone.... That's do til I go to the full 10w-40 at the 600 mile service.
Thank you!

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Thanks for this post.
Is it safe to assume that the bike came in the crate with 20-50? And would YamaStar have used a conventional or a full synthetic? My dealer suggested it was a conventional, and that I should wait at least 2000 miles before going synthetic. As I have just over 300 miles on the bike, I am thinking about a quick swap with a general brand, (no filter) until I do the 600mile service, and get an early start on those benefits you mention....like the heat!
All crated SVTC's SV's and Eluder's come with Yamalube mineral 10W40. Da's all...
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yaowzaaa! ParExcellence, you are on to something here! I'm a snake oil skeptic, so I was not expecting the results I got... All I did was to drain the main tank, (3qts +plus a tad), and added 10w-40. Fired it up and less than two miles from the house, it was like I was on a different bike! So not all the tranny whine disappeared, but aside from slow speed throttle backs, it's gone. The shifting was smoother; the engine purred - chatter gone.... That's do til I go to the full 10w-40 at the 600 mile service.
Thank you!
You do know that the bike COMES with 10W40 Yamalube mineral, right? What I noted, was this...after I drained my original Yamalube 10W40, I went with their full synthetic 15W50. In doing that, I ended up with some tranny 'growl' when first taking off, or the tranny was revving low, but my throttle input was 'healthy'.

When I switched out to Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40, all tranny noise vanished, and shifting the forks...was an easy up or down tap, or heel press (I have the heel and toe). Also, the top end, as well as the area around the cam's went very quiet. I'm sold on the brand and a full synthetic 10W40, and won't go beyond that weight. It has been almost 97 F over the last few days...and not one complaint from the engine...in difference of noise level, quality of idle...so that throws you need a 20W50, for hot weather running environments, out the window!

But truly, it all comes down to what makes the READER/RIDER, comfortable, pumping through the 113....

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-06-2019 at 03:21 AM.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:11 AM

Garage
I did not know that, but I am certain this is not just a case of " my ears think my bike goes faster with louder pipes."
It's been hot here, too...
On a ride with my son later in the day, I continued to be impressed with the difference in sounds coming from the engine. My bike sat in a crate for two years - 0.0 miles on the odometer. I do not know enough about oil to understand if that has any significant impact.
Regardless, I'm glad your post caused me to swap out most of the original oil.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I did not know that, but I am certain this is not just a case of " my ears think my bike goes faster with louder pipes."
It's been hot here, too...
On a ride with my son later in the day, I continued to be impressed with the difference in sounds coming from the engine. My bike sat in a crate for two years - 0.0 miles on the odometer. I do not know enough about oil to understand if that has any significant impact.
Regardless, I'm glad your post caused me to swap out most of the original oil.
Well, if you trust me a little further...go out and buy exactly the brand; Royal Purple MAX-CYCLE 10W40....give time for your oil to drain from the three oil drain plugs and the oil filter moon housing...and then fill each required site with the exact amount it requires. Go out for a ride...and you will simply be amazed...quiet...silky transmission, and the engine way more cool, coming from the heads, and the outflow from the rear exhaust header...

The product, is simply amazing... Try it on your next oil change, and then comment post ride...I'll bet you, that you mirror my experience with it. As for myself...I have 'found' my SVTC 10W40 premium synthetic oil. What they claim in their 'hype'...changes to reality, with the first installation. The 'hype' turns out to be nothing of the kind... The formulation of this synthetic almost acts like water jackets....on my ride:

GreenMtnHunter likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-08-2019 at 11:15 AM.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:43 AM

Garage
I ordered the 6-pack online - with free shipping, it's a several dollars cheaper than what a local (Irish) store will charge...after they order it....no one has it in stock....The blue and gold, national auto parts assoc., carries it for $8 more than the online vendors.... Not certain it's "in-stock" they are closed today.... I will say, however, that their drain plug crush-washers are significantly cheaper than Yamaha's...., and if you're like me and feel better about a new one each time, buying them by the box at the blue and gold is like buying two washers at my dealer's store...

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I ordered the 6-pack online - with free shipping, it's a several dollars cheaper than what a local (Irish) store will charge...after they order it....no one has it in stock....The blue and gold, national auto parts assoc., carries it for $8 more than the online vendors.... Not certain it's "in-stock" they are closed today.... I will say, however, that their drain plug crush-washers are significantly cheaper than Yamaha's...., and if you're like me and feel better about a new one each time, buying them by the box at the blue and gold is like buying two washers at my dealer's store...
Up here, in Ontario, I get the R.P. Max Cycle 10W40, for on average (unless on sale) at Canadian Tire for around $18.90 a quart. When it's on sale, I will grab around 3 complete oil changes ahead of the current one, to save some money. I always look at the crush washer for burs, and if not..I get usually two oil changes out of a set. I also buy in bulk. Same for the OEM oil filter. I use to use the Walmart name-brand filter on my 2000 and 2008 Goldwing...(it had a good break-down comparison rating) but on the SVTC,...I want no trouble in off-brands...so I will keep Yamaha OEM for the oil filter. Oil flow on this engine, is critical, and I want to know that the OEM Oil Filter by-pass valve plays ***nice*** in the 'sandbox'....

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-07-2019 at 07:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode