Snuck onto the Forum, to impart two topics... :) - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:00 AM Thread Starter

deleteddeleted

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-08-2019 at 11:14 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 25 (permalink) Old 08-06-2019, 07:38 AM

Garage
Hey there Joe, don’t know if you’re still LURKING here but I thought I’d mention something. I just did an oil change the other day and decided to give Redline 10w-40 a try.
I went in a 350 mile ride afterwards.
, and maybe it’s me but I’m not noticing a huge difference. If the shifting is smoother, it seems almost imperceptible. I do notice an ever so slight increase in neutral rom respond when revving. Possibly due to better oil flow and less friction. Who knows. I’m lookin t for something definitive to justify the exorbitant costs of this oil.
$15 a qt and that was on sale from $18.99 a qt!
Can’t really comment yet in any heat reduction because the day of my ride it was only moderately warm at 84 degrees.
I’ll keep you apprised.
Ride safe my brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola! 😁
post #23 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 05:08 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Hey there Joe, don’t know if you’re still LURKING here but I thought I’d mention something. I just did an oil change the other day and decided to give Redline 10w-40 a try.
I went in a 350 mile ride afterwards.
, and maybe it’s me but I’m not noticing a huge difference. If the shifting is smoother, it seems almost imperceptible. I do notice an ever so slight increase in neutral rom respond when revving. Possibly due to better oil flow and less friction. Who knows. I’m lookin t for something definitive to justify the exorbitant costs of this oil.
$15 a qt and that was on sale from $18.99 a qt!
Can’t really comment yet in any heat reduction because the day of my ride it was only moderately warm at 84 degrees.
I’ll keep you apprised.
Ride safe my brother!

El Jeffe de Pistola! 😁
Hey, there Mr. El Jeffe De Pistola! LOL...great handle...

Still pop in when I can, ....and saw your post. You say you put in Redline. I put in Royal Purple Max-Cycle 10W40, and my comments were strictly with that brand and blend.

I noticed on the ride, very quick RPM ramp up, heat off the left rear side has all by dissipated at summer riding temps, very smooth idle, about the same MPG across all speed ranges (which was always spectacular!), and I can absolutely attest that their claim that their oil brings down internal temperatures, by my and my wife's left-calf 'heat meters' is absolute. For myself, I am staying with this brand, and up here in Ontario, Canada, it cost at Canadian Tire, about and around, $18.00 a quart. Tony, it is...what it is...but for the price of what my SVTC cost me...I consider it a worthy 'engine life's blood' investment. BTW I did a 'blind side' test using my wife's left calf...after I did my first R.P. Max Cycle 10W40 oil change...and we were both riding....I asked my wife if she felt any difference in regards to ANY heat coming back to her off the left side. She said that 'something' was different...much cooler...but with the caveat that she never felt any uncomfortable heat anyway. But..she did note the the bike seems to be now as cool 'back there' as our 2008 Wing was. So...her calf-meter rang in cooler ambiance temperateness at your co-rider position.

I have around 5 thousand miles on the oil...and will run it to 7,000 and change out. That is about 4,000 miles more than I would have with straight mineral...so mitigates the $18.00 cost per quart.

I suggest, the next time you swap out...try my specific brand and viscosity, and see how that goes...

BTW, I will now say, other than still waiting for a meaningful GPS and PowerHead feature update, or grooming, this has been the best motorcycle purchasing investment ever...and equal to my purchase in 1973, of my first production year, Kawasaki, 900cc Z1. What I am writing about, is the total 'involvement package'...the emotional tie to the bike and its ride. Total satisfaction, melding of body sensations to the bike...I got that with my Kawa Z1...and now, it is back in full force. BTW, if there will be another new bike purchase, it WILL BE...another large capacity, big bore, V-Twin...the engine layout is so just dam* exciting to ride...and had I known that, even 30 years ago...probably would have been a V-Twin Groupie from then on. Honestly though...with the way my 2018 SVTC has been running since new...(never had the mechanical issues that has been reported by some) and the way I choose to take care of my bike, mechanically as well as appearance...I doubt this will be replaced in my continuing lifetime. I can't see them (Yamaha) adding anything more in the way of tech, to what I already have, other than it being mere tech-fluff, and greater torque or power? Nah...nope...don't need any more...this bike loaded out to full cargo capacity, with two 'healthy' weight adults aboard...runs up mountain ranges at 70 on cruise, without a sweat. I don't need any more motive power than what the big 113 already has on tap. So...nothing really to want me to lay down more cash, lol. The bike is my favorite color...so even there...no motivation to 'change up'. I have decided to stay with the stock pipes...in that they amply let me hear the grunt and growl from the engine...BUT...and so very important...the decibel of sound does ***NOT*** interfere with the fabulous sound system, or inter-rider communication, or causes any rider fatigue over time. They sound great...have great comments from other riders as I come into a Tim's, resturant, or bar....and I think in running the bike over thousands of miles...that Yamaha did a magnificent job in letting that motor be heard....BUT...not to interfere with any other feature (tech) of the ride inside the cockpit bubble.

Tony...I love this bike! We just came back from an August long weekend in riding around the Glen Arbor area of the Leelanau Peninsula...visited the Cherry Nation store and bought a whole load of the fabulous Pub Mix...and we had a blast...also sipping Oberon Beer, and munching down on good burgers at the restaurant in town.

Tony...THIS is what this bike is designed for...eating up the beautiful tour miles effortlessly....in total comfort and luxury...until 'u' get to where you're going....

In September...heading back (myself only) to Nova Scotia, for three weeks, to take in the lower eastern coast that we did not get to see as a couple.....for we had focused on the western coast (Bay of Fundy...Digsby) and then went straight up the spine towards the Cabot Trail. For myself...this time...reflective, non hurried, taking in of all the light houses, the waves breaking on the rocks...playing piano, or guitar with the locals....in the pubs...and a great trip to start the down tuning of the riding season. In October, my wife climbs aboard, and we are going down to Nashville for some 'rowdy' time...camping with our three-person tent, and associated motorcycle camping gear. That will be a great trip , and the main-event end of the riding season for us. We ride pretty much into late November, before I put my bikes to sleep...so, still many other adventures within this current season! But those two aforementioned, are the end-of-season big events, lol!~

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; Yesterday at 05:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 25 (permalink) Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM

Garage
Question: YamahaParExcellence, what was the reason behind promising to stop hanging out here? (I am behind the times.)
post #25 of 25 (permalink) Unread Today, 09:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
Question: YamahaParExcellence, what was the reason behind promising to stop hanging out here? (I am behind the times.)
In a word or three, ying and yang, in's and out's, marital maintenance. Basically marital maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in