Cecil B. Demille...or just C.B.'ing... - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
I'll try that as well. I have not yet made contact. In the "System Info Page" I'm still not getting any bars on the RF meter.

I also have not put a family member in one of my rigs to test the radio from across the dooryard...
Green, am I to understand that you did all of the above, and still, don't have any action on the 5 bar Rx meter? If that is the case, the only thing yet to do...would be to unscrew at the very head terminal of the antenna input on the radio. But I doubt that would be the 'hold back' to a good, hot signal from the antenna. It would be the other three areas that I mentioned in this thread. Another thing I can suggest, is that you check the bottom black plastic block of the left side 'CB' antenna, and the reason that I used quotation marks on this post...is that some riders reported that the dealer, had screwed in the FM (right side from the sitting position) on the LEFT, rather than the right.... The two antennas are ballast tuned differently, so are not interchangeable, even if they will pass on a 'signal'. I'd check that. My dealer did put on the CB onto the left side of the top box...so I knew that was at least right, before I delved into why my antenna was not producing a good gain, signal to the radio. Each antenna clearly is marked as either C.B. or F.M. on that black block base.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 07:19 AM

Garage
Yes, That was the case. In the "dooryard", however, on another radio, the bars went all green. And on the radio in the other rig, the Tx from the bike was also good. I clearly heard the sound of just touching the wind-foam on my helmet's mic.
Did I "unscrew" from the base of the radio? Or "unclip"? If that connection is a screw-mount, I definitely did not "work" it - I did unclip the two purple connections I could find in the comm-block area, "worked" them, several times and then greased with something I got from my telephone company brother... I did not have anything dielectic; he said, "this will do the trick". After doing that, I was listening to "skip" from the Carolina's; I have not fired up my old, 20 watt amp in years, and I resisted the temptation....but, I believe that should confirm I'm good to go.
I think I had read a post from you during the week we were assembling the bike, so I checked to be sure the CB antenna was on the correct, port-side, post. I have also "worked" that connection.
Interestingly, after working the connections block, up on the right side of the fairing, the connectors were no longer purple. The one behind the passenger seat-back was a bugger to unclip...and it was different than the ones on the comm-block, like two micro-tabs....? I wonder if I should head back to the highway, (4 miles away) and swap the antennas if I do not get a hit, though I assume that if the wires are "crossed", the FM Radio would not work either....

I have today to try again, then I go back to work, in another state, thru Thursday....

I appreciate your help, and I'll let you know what I get later today... I suspect another issue is that there is just decreased activity in Southern Vermont....I certainly have not been using my rigs like I used to...
Rich

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:11 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, That was the case. In the "dooryard", however, on another radio, the bars went all green. And on the radio in the other rig, the Tx from the bike was also good. I clearly heard the sound of just touching the wind-foam on my helmet's mic.
Did I "unscrew" from the base of the radio? Or "unclip"? If that connection is a screw-mount, I definitely did not "work" it - I did unclip the two purple connections I could find in the comm-block area, "worked" them, several times and then greased with something I got from my telephone company brother... I did not have anything dielectic; he said, "this will do the trick". After doing that, I was listening to "skip" from the Carolina's; I have not fired up my old, 20 watt amp in years, and I resisted the temptation....but, I believe that should confirm I'm good to go.
I think I had read a post from you during the week we were assembling the bike, so I checked to be sure the CB antenna was on the correct, port-side, post. I have also "worked" that connection.
Interestingly, after working the connections block, up on the right side of the fairing, the connectors were no longer purple. The one behind the passenger seat-back was a bugger to unclip...and it was different than the ones on the comm-block, like two micro-tabs....? I wonder if I should head back to the highway, (4 miles away) and swap the antennas if I do not get a hit, though I assume that if the wires are "crossed", the FM Radio would not work either....

I have today to try again, then I go back to work, in another state, thru Thursday....

I appreciate your help, and I'll let you know what I get later today... I suspect another issue is that there is just decreased activity in Southern Vermont....I certainly have not been using my rigs like I used to...
Rich

Rich, you can just read on the bottom of each antenna, whether it is the C.B. or the F.M. they are printed as such. Yes...funny as it is...Yamaha did not use 'continuity' for colors from one connection between the antenna lead out, right up to the vertical male-female on the front vertical of the radio body. They are quick connect clips, plug in's (the purple one under the seat) and then at the radio, the friction male/female. I know...weird. By the sound's of it, you got to all of them, as you have definitely identified the proper ones...AND...if you are getting 'skip'...dang, you are good to go...you probably didn't latch on, to anybody within 1-3 miles from your bike's '20'. If you are getting atmospheric skip...***YOU'RE DONE***, lololololol! Good to go...have fun, and yack it up, once you get 'connected'. As you know, with a lot of the Baby Boomer truckers retiring, the new ones...( you know....) have no clue, or probably an interest in C.B. comm on C19. Not the right native language....if at all, usually down channel. It is....what...it is....today. B.B's are retiring from trucking en-mass....and they **were** the C.B. Road Knights of the 70's,80's & 90's.......when C.B. C19 traffic was 24/7......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 08:57 AM

Garage
Driving from NH to to FL in '76. We're in GA; mom, sis and little brother are sleeping, dad's at the wheel talking to truckers: football comes up, and someone in a thick southern accent, says, " I bleed Crimson..."
"You went to Harvard?" says my father...
"Oh shit! Dad! Give me that mic!"
Mom wakes up, "...who's swearing! You boys get off that radio!"
Probably a good thing; the cover was blown....

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-07-2019, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Driving from NH to to FL in '76. We're in GA; mom, sis and little brother are sleeping, dad's at the wheel talking to truckers: football comes up, and someone in a thick southern accent, says, " I bleed Crimson..."
"You went to Harvard?" says my father...
"Oh shit! Dad! Give me that mic!"
Mom wakes up, "...who's swearing! You boys get off that radio!"
Probably a good thing; the cover was blown....
Having a coffee...just about ready to head out...and all I have to say is: ROTFLM****A***off....LOLOLOLOLOL.. Great story...made the day!

I can just visualize that...you pitching forward for the mic... a battle of who has the stronger wrist, ensues.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

That aside, I hope you get the signal sensitivity to what will satisfy your expectations. That's the game...

Have a great day...riding or not... for you certainly are riding a winner of a bike...!

Cheers,

Joe
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode