Cecil B. Demille...or just C.B.'ing... - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-21-2019, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Cecil B. Demille...or just C.B.'ing...

Notam to 2018/2020 Trans Continental, or Upgraded Eluder cowboys and cowgirls...

Regarding the performance of the C.B. radio...

Ever since my bike was new, received last year, I always felt the C.B. Rx meter (five bar light up) on the self Diagnostics page, was weak. I'd only get one strong green bar, with a flash or two of the second...flash, here, flash there...

My Squelch and white noise background was always, in my opinion, (and having used a C.B. for R.V. camping and marine all my life...) was way too intense. I felt that I did not have a good ground, and/or signal feed from the back end, into the antenna input of the radio.

So......I removed the lower right section of the fairing...that exposes the Power Head and the C.B. radio body that sits down below and just in front of it.

Now to the matter------> If you remove same lower right quadrant, you will see the Antenna cable feed connection, sitting vertical on the forward facing edge of the C.B. radio body. THAT is what you need to address. In coming across the ocean, (salt marine air) in the hold of a freighter, that friction connection can become highly oxidized or even film-corroded, (as mine turned out to be...!!!).

When I pulled apart the line-in, socket, I found the parts had a very light white film on the surface, that as soon as I cleaned both right off with 0000 steel wool,...buffed, and then added dielectric grease, to the male and female of the connection...and when having mated the connection once more, I was now getting a FULL GREEN 5 BARS on the C.B. Antenna Rx meter, on the Diagnostic Page of the Power Head software. I put the fairing back together...and headed out onto the 401 (in Ontario)....and starting asking for a Channel 19, 'Radio Check'. I was getting hits all over the place, where before, hardly any. I asked in the C.B. lingo...how many 'pounds' I was punching out...and most everybody came back, "at a hundred!". Talking to one trucker, on a very high gain, clear transmission, with the SQ set to only 3 out of 14....I was 'punching out' at over 2.5 miles!

So...no matter WHAT you 'think' is a good C.B. Antenna Rx performance, most likely, you are losing out around 80 percent of the receive and transmit range, because of a filmed over, male/female antenna cable connection, at the C.B. body (on the vertical). If having a great and strong TX/RX C.B. performance matters to you...I highly suggest you take the 1 hour to RE and RE the lower Faring quadrant, give some loving to the male/female Antenna cable connection, leading in from the back end...and then give the male and female sides, a good coating of Dia Grease. Your C.B. will thank you...as well as now you will be able to call out for road construction snafu's...as far out as 2 to three miles from your '20'..... Gotta get some of the C.B. lingo in there....

Having a C.B. radio was so very important for my wife and myself...(on our 2000 GoldWing...(it came standard) we NEVER, EVER, were caught coming into the back end of a 3 mile long traffic accident clutter-F...or one caused by three lanes, into one...that radio saved us from crawling, stop and go...

A C.B. being standard on the SVTC, was one of the major, (not minor!) reasons that I chose our new ride...let alone everything else that came standard, that would have cost us thousands more on a Harley, or some features not even available on said Harley, 2018 Honda ST-1800, or Indian.

If a powerful C.B. radio, that the SVTC possess, means anything for you....clean out the 'wax' from its ears on the rear left,....and enjoy the new performance of seeing 5 green bars light up, after you ask for a "Radio Check" .....and then on subsequent rides..."Looking for a South or North bounder...what's over your shoulder?....." Avoid the three mile cluster-F...four miles ahead of you...and ONLY because you had your C.B. radio on C19, running in the background....while Led Zepplin, is playing in the foreground...LOLOLOLOL, 'Joe Style'.....and Dee-Dee is listening to something else, in SVTC-Yamaha exclusive, Duo Zone, or talking to one of her girlfriend's over horses...and dates to ride, over BlueTooth...

Motorcycling Life....is good...

Cheers,

Joe

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 06-21-2019 at 08:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:43 PM

Great bit of diagnostic work there Joe.
Another item for my maintenance checks at 4000 mile oil change.

Thanks for the write up.
Gary
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
Great bit of diagnostic work there Joe.
Another item for my maintenance checks at 4000 mile oil change.

Thanks for the write up.
Gary

No problem...glad to help. Since I gave that connection some 'lovin'...anytime I test the Rx...on the page...wham, bam...5 green blocks light up as soon as somebody answers my hail. Before, straight out of the shipping crate...1 full, and the second, flashing weak. Also, my white-noise is about 70 percent lower, than what it was, as the radio was signal input, starving....

What I did discover though...is that the radio is not schlepp...you know...let's give them one, on the cheap. This Midland unit, puts out hot...and I am even thinking of swapping out the OEM antenna, for a 3db gain custom...that is allowed by the manufacturer...you can 3db gain the signal input section of the radio, but no more than that... I can now with the OEM get out easily 2.5-3 miles from my '20'. A 3db gain, would punch out towards 4.5-5. There's no way, that you would ever come into the back end of a cluster....if your radio reached out 4 miles! My experience anyways. Believe me, this Midland is a great stand alone unit...and is twice as powerful as my 2000 Honda Goldwing radio was. I just wish..(off topic, I know...) ...I just wish that Yamaha would have gone with Garmin for my navigation gripe, rather than Harman Kardon, who is now owned by Samsung... That is truly, my only gripe of the SVTC. This coming update is supposed to address the vapid short-comings of the HK navigation. We'll see...crossing my fingers. I've had no engine problems...not one...great 43 mpg...all the time...very reliable...has never not fired right up...and since going to Royal Purple Max Cycle 10W40...I only now hear the thrum of the exausts...not any mechanical coming from the jugs....and will be staying with that as well, for the life of the bike...

Joe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

Chief (Tony)...I was reading on the 'other' site, on the thread, CB and CB antennas... that at least three other SVTC owners were not getting any signal input...and were asking for help. Nobody was pointing them in the right direction....

I'm not on that site...so i might ask that you get on there, and post a link to this thread. It will most likely be the read that will correct most all of their low to zero radio chatter, and signal receiving issues. I think now that probably EVERY (shipped from Japan, via marine....) will have an affected CB antenna male/female film on the mated parts, also, they need to...and I forgot to mention this...there are actually three locations in the wiring harness where feed from the CB antenna travels to the input head of the Midland CB Radio.

1. Take off your seat,

2. Remove the three screws on the black cover that seats just aft of the co-rider saddle position...(there is a CB connection that is the first, leading from the antenna, that connects from the actual CB antenna, to the wiring harness that leads up to the radio itself. Then, there is one that is amongst the few that would be sitting just UNDER the co-rider's butt., Finally, the third, is at the radio input connection itself. That one I covered in my post.

So, basically take your seat off...remove the back plastic shield, aft of the seat position, and from the CB antenna lead in itself, make sure that all connections are taken apart, connected, taken apart, a few times to seat them and friction remove any film...then...place a dollop of dielectric grease on all the three connections from the back end, up to the front...seat all connections male/female securely, and then turn on your bike to ACC, access the INFO diagnostics page.

On that page, turn on the CB (at the left bottom of page 1) to C19...having you stand by the bike, having your helmet on, and your wired lead plugged into the port..., press your TX trigger on the left handlebar grouping (after you set your squelch to 0...just to know you are not blanking out any weak signals, and ask "Looking for a radio check, please...working on my antenna".

Say that a few times, if you don't get a hit right away...and then when you do get a response....monitor the CB Rx 5 green block signal tally. After all of the above, on my bike, I went from a 'before touching and cleaning'...one to two green bars on CB Rx...,to a full five green bars, on most traffic and replies. If you are rather new to CB's...anytime your antenna picks up a signal that has enough gain to overcome any SQ setting (I run with around 3 out of 14, that quietens the background noise...that receiving gain will be seen on the diagnostics page. You should not be ***RIDING*** the bike when you have the Diagnostics Page on view. I suggest you take your bike, no matter where you live, to a local truck stop/centre, and while sitting there, having a coffee...display your page, be wired in with your helmet on, your mike at your lips,...pull your trigger, and ask for a "Radio Check".

When you get a response, and monitor how many green bars light up on the CB Rx bar...ask for their '20' or location. They might also be in the parking lot with you...or could be out upon the highway passing the Truck Stop. That is my recommendation to bring this great Midland radio..and a rather OEM decent, CB antenna...to life...

Cheers,

Joe
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 09:51 PM

Garage
Thank you for this thread. I''m a CB guy, but knowing where to look on my new SVTC is a super help!

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Thank you for this thread. I''m a CB guy, but knowing where to look on my new SVTC is a super help!
Quite welcome....take off the seat, remove the black lower back plate of the co-rider back rest....and just follow the C.B. antenna lead 'cookie crumbs' of the C.B. antenna lead. It starts behind that lower black panel, then one under the seat..If I remember now, the purple one, and then at the other end of the right side wiring harness, hanging off the front edge of the C.B. radio body, under the lower right faring quadrant. Take those apart and put then back together three times, then add a dollop of dielectric grease to all male and female metal connectors...and you will be, GOLD. Where, before I did this service, my C.B. 'voice' was a desert...now...everybody and their brother is talking around me...quite lively. The SVTC has a great OEM radio...it just needs a good hot 'feed' into the antenna signal input.

Side Note: If you use Dielectric Grease on all connections, this should be a one-time service. D.G. will prevent any further or-at-all, oxidization of the zinc coated male/female leads.

"The Rubber Duck, ....over n' out"...

Cheers,

Joe
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-04-2019, 04:38 AM

Garage
"Break one-one: this is Victor Tango Foxtrot, 825, Southern Vermont, lookin' for a radio-check....Over."

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
"Break one-one: this is Victor Tango Foxtrot, 825, Southern Vermont, lookin' for a radio-check....Over."
Very good! Good call...

...BTW, it also wouldn't hurt to unscrew the CB antenna, and then screw it back down upon the brass threads three or four times. On the last time, lift the antenna clear, and then coat the threads with Dielectric Grease, and then seat the antenna base a good and snug, 'finger tight' only... Ok...NOW, it's all done...lol. I had to rethink of everything I did that morning...lol.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:16 AM

Garage
I'll try that as well. I have not yet made contact. In the "System Info Page" I'm still not getting any bars on the RF meter.

I also have not put a family member in one of my rigs to test the radio from across the dooryard...

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'll try that as well. I have not yet made contact. In the "System Info Page" I'm still not getting any bars on the RF meter.

I also have not put a family member in one of my rigs to test the radio from across the dooryard...
Using your family member will be a very good idea. I was so disappointed in the initial performance of my C.B. radio, on the ride home from the dealer...and thought they put in a 'afterthought' unit. Well, my servicing of all the wire harness connections from the C.B. antenna, right up to the signal input connection on the Midland, dispelled that notion. At first, until my service, I stopped even trying to use the C.B. Now...it's always on...unless my wife and I are talking on the Intercom. BTW, until the next software release, if you have the Intercom ***AND*** the C.B. on, as soon as you talk to the other, you ***WILL*** be transmitting your entire conversation over your selected channel!!!! For now, it has to be one or the other as on and active. a PITA....but they know of it...and hopefully, there will be a fix. I keep C19 always on, in the background monitoring the trucker traffic on the opposing direction. When I want to speak, or her...I either turn it off, or she taps me twice on the back...and that is her signal to turn off the C.B. before she speaks, and to turn on the I.C. It's a work-a-round for now...
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode