Missing fasteners, dang dealers. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By YamahaParExcellence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Missing fasteners, dang dealers.

For anyone that may have plastic body parts that seem to wiggle/vibrate more on one side than the other, do some digging.

Why can't the so called experts at the dealer do the job correctly?

For a second time I have found fasteners missing.

Dang it, if they are just going to leave stuff off, at least have the decency to hand me a bag of parts and tell good luck so I don't have to waste time ordering stupid fasteners.

Hey Yamaha, please remove all statements in manual "See your authorized Yamaha Dealer". Usless twits.

Sorry for the rant. Spent a couple hours pulling apart right side cowlings to figure out why the upper right cowling was popping out of position up front. Found the two main bolts that hold upper cowling in place had not been reinstalled. Or maybe factory omitted them and dealer tech was usless. Either way it really errodes the pleasure that this bike could provide.

I truely hope your dealer helps you fully enjoy the fantastic bike.
Gary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 06:56 PM
KCW

Garage
possible they were loose and fell off?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:42 PM

When I test drove my Star Venture I told the salesman that the two panels next to the storage compartments were flopping. When I bought it a few months later they were still missing. I also found two more fasteners missing. I looked them up in the parts fiche online and emailed the part numbers to the sales manager and he mailed them to me. You are not alone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:47 PM Thread Starter

Doubtful. My right upper cowling which holds the pop open compartment for USB1, right speaker, and upper wind deflector has always seemed "loose". After my last rde I went to clean the bugs off and found the front of the right cowling had popped loose from adjacent cowling piece. So I tore into it. The two main bolts that hold it in place are at least an inch long,maybe 1 1/2 and mate with at least 1/2 inch of threaded fastener. If they were loose enough to work out then my statement that Yamaha tech screwed up still stands.

As I said before, great bike. Lousy support.

In hind sight I should have pounded on dealer for a better price and installed the transcontinental package myself. I could have routed a cable wrong and left out fasteners and still be ahead.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter

sdunker,
Yeah, it is sad that dealers are able to mess with such a fine machine.
Oh well, I have the service manual and will take care of her on my own from now on.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
sdunker,
Yeah, it is sad that dealers are able to mess with such a fine machine.
Oh well, I have the service manual and will take care of her on my own from now on.
I have to tell ya, Gary...other than my 1972 Kawa 900cc Z1, my 2018 SVTC is as much fun, as much involving you in the ride. Sad to say, other than my very first Goldwing, the first year, 1975 model, none of my other later Goldwings...were...fun. They were incredibly reliable...got you from here, to there, always. But fun? Nope... 'reliable' isn't 'fun'. Now...the Yamaha Star Venture T.C.? Just crack the throttle, hear those massive jugs start singing...and THAT'S FUN!

I made up my mind...(and hopefully my wife's as well, lol!)...this is truly my Sunset Bike. I mean, from year to year...what are they really going to change, with the 2018 seen as base. Colors, but not much else. The 2018 already comes with the 'kitchen sink'...yep...my last new bike... Very happy with it! Thank gawd, the 2018 model year offered my all-time favorite color....RED! The gods were smiling down upon me in '18........

Joe
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 06-25-2019 at 05:00 AM.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starbagger View Post
Doubtful. My right upper cowling which holds the pop open compartment for USB1, right speaker, and upper wind deflector has always seemed "loose". After my last rde I went to clean the bugs off and found the front of the right cowling had popped loose from adjacent cowling piece. So I tore into it. The two main bolts that hold it in place are at least an inch long,maybe 1 1/2 and mate with at least 1/2 inch of threaded fastener. If they were loose enough to work out then my statement that Yamaha tech screwed up still stands.

As I said before, great bike. Lousy support.

In hind sight I should have pounded on dealer for a better price and installed the transcontinental package myself. I could have routed a cable wrong and left out fasteners and still be ahead.
Concerning your upper right cowling, there is a hidden push pin that connects that piece to the dash. You have to remove the piece directly to the left of that to find it.
I still have a plastic to plastic rattle down on the lower right front somewhere. Haven't been able to find it yet. Maybe this winter i'll tear into it more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode