Question for SVTC owners - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 09:48 AM Thread Starter

Question for SVTC owners

So...a question for those of you who have put a few miles on the SVTC... I am still pondering my next motorcycle, which will be a large touring bike. I continue to do a lot of "research," trying to gather rider impressions now that these bikes have been out a while. Do you still feel you made the best choice in the SVTC? If you could have purchased the new 'Wing with more luggage space and more passenger room, would you still have bought the SVTC, looking back? If you had confidence that the M8 wouldn't sump or transfer tranny fluid, would you reconsider an HD?

I'm still leaning Yamaha, especially given my great experience with my Roadliner, but there are good reasons to look at Honda--certainly--and even HD now that it looks like they've gotten the M8 issues ironed out.

Just wondering... After putting some miles on, are you confident the SVTC is the best bike amongst the competition, or did a few drawbacks push you to compromise on the SVTC, yet it was still the right choice for you? I know noone is going to *regret* owning the new Venture...

For me, personally, I hate the ergonomics on the 'Wing. I am abnormally tall, and it would be hard to make it work. The HD...there's the whole "lifestyle" thing I'm leary of, and HD reliability is obviously inferior to Yamaha. Yet, I'm a little conflicted on the looks of the Venture, and the lack of aftermarket offerings have me concerned about my ability to get the right fit.

...interested in your thoughts if you feel like posting them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffieg View Post
So...a question for those of you who have put a few miles on the SVTC... I am still pondering my next motorcycle, which will be a large touring bike. I continue to do a lot of "research," trying to gather rider impressions now that these bikes have been out a while. Do you still feel you made the best choice in the SVTC? If you could have purchased the new 'Wing with more luggage space and more passenger room, would you still have bought the SVTC, looking back? If you had confidence that the M8 wouldn't sump or transfer tranny fluid, would you reconsider an HD?

I'm still leaning Yamaha, especially given my great experience with my Roadliner, but there are good reasons to look at Honda--certainly--and even HD now that it looks like they've gotten the M8 issues ironed out.

Just wondering... After putting some miles on, are you confident the SVTC is the best bike amongst the competition, or did a few drawbacks push you to compromise on the SVTC, yet it was still the right choice for you? I know noone is going to *regret* owning the new Venture...

For me, personally, I hate the ergonomics on the 'Wing. I am abnormally tall, and it would be hard to make it work. The HD...there's the whole "lifestyle" thing I'm leary of, and HD reliability is obviously inferior to Yamaha. Yet, I'm a little conflicted on the looks of the Venture, and the lack of aftermarket offerings have me concerned about my ability to get the right fit.

...interested in your thoughts if you feel like posting them.
For myself, I was a long time Goldwing franchiser...having owned 7 different model years. The first was the introductory; 1975. My last Wing, was a 2008, and since 2005, I was waiting for that totally new refresh. Had the 2018 Goldwing, been a totally new refresh, with same or even more touring storage, fully upgraded GPS, a few more bells 'n' whistles, (and being totally, totally honest here...) I more than 98 percent likely, would have sprung for another...better the Devil you know, than the one you don't. I had never been let down with any of my 7 Goldwing model years...and so would have followed suit.

That being stated though...frankly, I was bored with the franchise. Yes...I would have gotten another one...because of familiarity, and assuming that my eighth would also be 100 percent trouble free...but...I was bored. I truly was 'in my head' looking for something else. Secretly, I always had that facination with what owning a large bore V-Twin, would be like...(having never had one...totally ignorant of them...), and in fact...***DID*** price out a Road Glide, when still having my 2008 Goldwing Premium Sound! Obviously, I did not drop the coin on the Harley dealer's desktop....

I simply was after 7 generations of the Goldwing...bored with them...(I know I was looking for something else....)

So....you go, with what you know...and the 8th and last, would have come home into my garage, had Honda not created an ST-1800 Sport Tour. When that was revealed, I definitely was looking elsewhere. So, add my already curiosity of a V-Twin...and then seeing the Americade launch, and feature set of the Yamaha Star Venture T.C....I was hooked right through the tongue and lips!

It had all the tech 'refresh', I was looking for....it had a C.B. radio (standard) that I was looking for....had it all....and WOW...I could now explore a V-Twin ride...totally updated over Harley's M8....counter balanced vibration control...twin alternators....just feature sets that blew my mind...

I was ready, and dropped the coin....

Now...here is the interesting part....at least I consider this the noteworthy point of my post------> in having had the 2018 Star Venture T.C. for over a year...and thousands of miles of tour...from the highlands of Cape Breton Island, down to Phoenix, San Diego, L.A., around Lake Superior....Northern Ontario, and most other parts of Ontario....having done that with my wife aboard .....I now know...for a fact...that I was ***ALWAYS...A V-TWIN LOVER....THE RIDE, THE FEEL, THE SOUND, THE METRICS...THE ALL OF IT...BUT---->NEVER KNEW I WAS TRULY A V-TWIN LOVER!*** Never knew...having never owned one...probably would not have ended up with one...again...you go, usually with what you know....and BOY...am I glad that Honda stopped making a Goldwing...and catered to the Sport Tour weekend crowd....for THAT drove me into the arms of Yamaha's SVTC 113 cubic inch, ***V-TWIN***.

Would I ever go back from this type of engine configuration, back to a flat four, or six? No...not at all...for I have once more found the excitement of ride...the involvement of ride...the sound envelope of a healthy V-Twin....and realized in this past year...that----"Ignorance is NOT, bliss...". I should have had a V-Twin...30 years ago....for that was the total 'in'...the excitement and engagement, I was so looking for...and had lost, in buying my first Goldwing....the excitement of ride, had been engineered and tamed out of them....

Owning and riding, my 2018 Yamaha Star Venture T.C. gives me both worlds....reliability of my prior Goldwings...but the butt-feel, the sound around me...under me...behind me....the FEEL of a powerful engine working through its revolutions....now...my gawd...I am a most happy man...for I have it all....touring, in grand style...but with excitement of ride, in every mile past the rear tire....

No...I have no regrets...and am so very HAPPY in how the 2018 Honda card was played....for it forced me to discover, just exactly what I was missing, and now have waiting in my garage....any moment of the day....

No...no regrets...just smiles as wide as the Grand Canyon, every time I fire up the 113......just smiles, sir...

Joe
Cliffieg likes this.

Last edited by YamahaParExcellence; 07-09-2019 at 10:50 AM.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 11:17 AM

Garage
I think the one that you really want is the one to get.
10 years ago i was looking for an 1100 classic and upgraded to a 1800VTX rode for 10 years put on 25000 miles. In time slowed the riding. Sold it and bought my 1100 classic and refreshed and riding again. Loved the 1800 but now getting older it wasn't worth the excess baggage over 800# dry. Probably helped confuse you further.
Cliffieg likes this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:58 PM

Garage
I think you answered your own question....I've been riding *cruisers for so long, when I tested a 2017 Wing, I felt cramped, and the bike was so quiet I could hear the plastic "talking". At Laconia, I rode a bunch of Indians and two HD's; nice bikes, to be sure. Most of them had the same or similar options and riding positions, but they are all still a tighter fit than my Road Star...about the same fit as my Royal Star, which I thought was roomy until 2006. I do find the Venture to be heavy and will take some learning, but it's not any different (+/- 950 lbs) than the Indian Roadmaster Elite: both feel heavy at the kickstand and both are surprisingly light immediately after getting underway. I believe the SVTC feels better in the corners, and it certainly feels better at the wallet, -$10,000, especially with an included 5 year, unlimited mile warranty. Indian offers two? with a payment-plan and option for up to 7? HD offers same price for the fork mounted fairing on the ultra, but not all of the bells and whistles...to get that you drop $43,g's and what's that warranty? Two years? Four brand new Yamaha's since 1998, the only "warranty issue" I have had is the Royal Star T.D. took 4 horns before we got one that did not fry itself in the rain....they were all covered, parts and labor. Your results may vary, as they say.

I am looking for hi-way pegs for my week old SVTC, but I'm not sure I'll be able to reach them unless I get a set that come back from the mount!
Cliffieg likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:31 PM

I like Joe came off of a 08 Wing that the wife and I loved. If you are looking for a long distance two up bike the new Wing is NOT it. I am at 21k miles in 10 months and have been on two long trips, absolutely no issues. I still miss the flat 6 and would most likely go back to the Wing if they built a two up touring bike. I would also buy a HD if I wanted one, while I dont think their engines are as reliable as their competition, I do think they are good. The oil sumping issue has now been resolved on the M8. If you ride a lot buy their extended warranty and ride. The only reason I bought the Yamaha over the HD was because I liked the looks better. They both had good storage, room for two up. The Yamaha's poor resale did not matter as I will put 100,000 on it anyway so neither would be worth much in the end. My recommendation would be buy a motorcycle with your heart. Dont let a few thousand dollars stop you either way.

Rob - 18 Raspberry SVTC, 08 Pearl White Navi Goldwing
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:36 AM

Glad to read all of these positive posts. I have my first 1,000 kms on the 2020 SVTC and looking forward to a few trips this year. I averaged 16K a year on my 2009 Roadstar. So far really like the bike, as people say have to get use to the weight, but is manageable and the reverse works well and as per my post there is currently a GPS glitch (won't activate) but otherwise so far love the bike even though it is really early days.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:02 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated! Chances are toward the end of the year I'll be joining your ranks. And despite what El Jefe de Pistola says, I'm pretty sure that 2020 blue is gonna be faster than the 2018 red.
lesblank likes this.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffieg View Post
Thanks for the input guys, it's much appreciated! Chances are toward the end of the year I'll be joining your ranks. And despite what El Jefe de Pistola says, I'm pretty sure that 2020 blue is gonna be faster than the 2018 red.
There is no way that blue is faster than red
Cliffieg likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:52 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunker View Post
There is no way that blue is faster than red
Well gentlemen, if your racing each other to find out if 2020 blue is faster than 2018 red and up ahead of you it appears there is a grey cloud at road level, don't worry about getting wet but rather worry about the dust because that will be my 2020 grey in front of you leaving you in my path
lesblank and Cliffieg like this.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 09:36 PM

Garage
I'm quite sure my 2018 is faster than all the rest, but I carry too much "baggage" to prove it...
lesblank likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode