Warning - GPS Issue - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:49 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Rich,

Thank you for trying to help but unfortunately I was not able to activate the GPS. The Yamaha dealer believes that Yamaha did make some changes to the software between the 2018 and 2020 version, primarily they think (and I have no idea if they are correct) that the GPS software is now Garmin. I don't think that was the case in 2018.

Tonight I went to activate my XM Sirius Radio free three month trial that came with the bike and XM Sirius argued and argued with me that there was no free trial even though there was a pamphlet with the bike stating there was one. Anyways after arguing for 20 minutes or so they did give me the three month free trial, but I think it was driven by I am already paying them for the service in my car for the past ten years and they owed me some loyalty.
Hi Rob,
I'm sorry to hear that, darn it.
The good news is that Garmin is excellent, though I have not had many issues with my 2018, whatever that unit is, tonight I was driving on a back road that did not appear on the map... Once you get it going, you'll like it, I have had four Garmin units for my cars. Phones today mean we haven't used one in quite a while.

We did not get the "free" XM/Sirius, as far as I know...certainly did not come in any paperwork with my bike, but, in my neck of the woods, the signal is constantly interrupted - I don't know anyone who pays for the service.

I hope your dealer gets the GPS issue resolved asap. You might try contacting Garmin; they have been excellent whenever I had an issue, even with old, outdated units.
Rich
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Hi Rob,
I'm sorry to hear that, darn it.
The good news is that Garmin is excellent, though I have not had many issues with my 2018, whatever that unit is, tonight I was driving on a back road that did not appear on the map... Once you get it going, you'll like it, I have had four Garmin units for my cars. Phones today mean we haven't used one in quite a while.

We did not get the "free" XM/Sirius, as far as I know...certainly did not come in any paperwork with my bike, but, in my neck of the woods, the signal is constantly interrupted - I don't know anyone who pays for the service.

I hope your dealer gets the GPS issue resolved asap. You might try contacting Garmin; they have been excellent whenever I had an issue, even with old, outdated units.
Rich
Thanks again Rich, I also like Garmin and would be happy if that is the GPS software Yamaha used. I will have to wait and see. In the meantime I will continue to go after Yamaha to resolve the issue...weekly emails and phone calls.
post #13 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 AM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks again Rich, I also like Garmin and would be happy if that is the GPS software Yamaha used. I will have to wait and see. In the meantime I will continue to go after Yamaha to resolve the issue...weekly emails and phone calls.
Be the wheel! Be the damn squeaky wheel and if you have to,(should a road-block appear) let'em know you're updating tens of thousands on this forum.
Good luck,
Rich

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:34 AM

I believe this was discussed on a different forum. They thought the gps was made by Harmin not Garmin.
post #15 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 07:39 AM
KCW

Garage
Harman Kardon... ?

they make the best stereos, all the way back since the 1970s
post #16 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 10:51 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdunker View Post
I believe this was discussed on a different forum. They thought the gps was made by Harmin not Garmin.
That would be correct.
Bucfan11 and GreenMtnHunter like this.
post #17 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Rich,

Thank you for trying to help but unfortunately I was not able to activate the GPS. The Yamaha dealer believes that Yamaha did make some changes to the software between the 2018 and 2020 version, primarily they think (and I have no idea if they are correct) that the GPS software is now Garmin. I don't think that was the case in 2018.

Tonight I went to activate my XM Sirius Radio free three month trial that came with the bike and XM Sirius argued and argued with me that there was no free trial even though there was a pamphlet with the bike stating there was one. Anyways after arguing for 20 minutes or so they did give me the three month free trial, but I think it was driven by I am already paying them for the service in my car for the past ten years and they owed me some loyalty.
GreenMtnHunter What is displayed on the screen, anything like Navigation not ready. Sorry I haven’t been fully following this thread but wanted to make sure it wasn’t the same issue that I had when I first got my bike. I had to delete my home and save addresses and then did the drive around the parking lot to recalibrate the gps circles.
Then it started to work. I then redid the latest version update. I understand you have a 2020 CAN model and I have the 2018 USA model but I am wondering if you got our bug.
post #18 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 11:27 AM

Garage
Good morning GARider,
I think you have us confused: RobG has the Canadian 2020; I have the US 2018. My GPS is working fine, I believe, it's thanks to a post I read in which the author provided that formatting the finger drive in FAT32 on a PC was a key to success....worked for me !
It seems that in Canada anyway, the 2020 version has at least one new item, other than paint, which is that a Garmin GPS replaces our Harmon Kardin unit...I still have a couple H-K stereo amp/tuners from 79-80ish, I wonder if they still work?
Regardless, I do hope that the new finger-drive, which I received in the mail yesterday, helps others with issues...
Other than "not working, I do not know what, if anything RobG sees on his screen when he flips to the GPS mode. I hope you have a solution for him!
Rich

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #19 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Good morning GARider,
I think you have us confused: RobG has the Canadian 2020; I have the US 2018. My GPS is working fine, I believe, it's thanks to a post I read in which the author provided that formatting the finger drive in FAT32 on a PC was a key to success....worked for me !
It seems that in Canada anyway, the 2020 version has at least one new item, other than paint, which is that a Garmin GPS replaces our Harmon Kardin unit...I still have a couple H-K stereo amp/tuners from 79-80ish, I wonder if they still work?
Regardless, I do hope that the new finger-drive, which I received in the mail yesterday, helps others with issues...
Other than "not working, I do not know what, if anything RobG sees on his screen when he flips to the GPS mode. I hope you have a solution for him!
Rich
Oops. My bad. Sorry, I thought I might have confused the names. “FacePalm”
lesblank likes this.
post #20 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-14-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Yamaha Canada is having a major problem activating the GPS unit on the 2020 Venture TC (I got mine about a four to five weeks ago). I have been working with the dealer and contacted Yamaha directly a number of times. Yamaha said their tech team here can not resolve the issue so they have sent the request for a fix to Japan. It is taking too long.

I love the bike other than the GPS but a touring bike without a GPS is not a true touring bike.
I joined this forum just to talk to you. I bought the gray 2020 and no the GPS didn't work. I read all about the 2018's issues and badgered my dealer and Yamaha about it all too and also to the fact that most 2018's the GPS problem got fixed, just not my 2020. Yamaha is pretty proud of the GPS on their website displaying the GPS in two different places 2nd page down https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products...oup=MC&catId=1 but as we know it don't work. Things went south and I gave the bike back but I didn't realize how much I liked the rest of the bike because I was so concerned Yamaha was screwing me. My second choice was Indian and then a new wing. Boy, did I get lucky to find this left over red 2018 out of town and I can tell you the oem gps if anything like the factory gps in my 2015 GMC I sometime can't find my way across town with it anyway.

Looking back I was sad to give the bike back, I'm sure Yamaha will get yours fixed...eventually....be patient even when Yamaha won't give a call and say....hey sorry about the issue, we''ll get it fixed, here's some accessories or a discount nothing from them not even a phone call for me.

All this to say go to costco and spend 2 or 300 and get a garmin and just go ride...I lost two months riding by fighting
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode