Warning - GPS Issue - Page 3 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:07 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR333 View Post
I joined this forum just to talk to you. I bought the gray 2020 and no the GPS didn't work. I read all about the 2018's issues and badgered my dealer and Yamaha about it all too and also to the fact that most 2018's the GPS problem got fixed, just not my 2020. Yamaha is pretty proud of the GPS on their website displaying the GPS in two different places 2nd page down https://www.yamaha-motor.ca/products...oup=MC&catId=1 but as we know it don't work. Things went south and I gave the bike back but I didn't realize how much I liked the rest of the bike because I was so concerned Yamaha was screwing me. My second choice was Indian and then a new wing. Boy, did I get lucky to find this left over red 2018 out of town and I can tell you the oem gps if anything like the factory gps in my 2015 GMC I sometime can't find my way across town with it anyway.

Looking back I was sad to give the bike back, I'm sure Yamaha will get yours fixed...eventually....be patient even when Yamaha won't give a call and say....hey sorry about the issue, we''ll get it fixed, here's some accessories or a discount nothing from them not even a phone call for me.

All this to say go to costco and spend 2 or 300 and get a garmin and just go ride...I lost two months riding by fighting
I still have my Garmin that I took off my Roadstar and recently attended a charity ride where a GPS was good to have. I don't want to permanently mount the Garmin on the SVTC because the panel in front of me is busy enough and they will eventually get me a working GPS (I hope!!!). The tank on the SVTC is flat enough that I was able to use the car mount for my GPS and plug it into the cigarette plug for power. Not a great set up but it got me through the charity run.

I emailed Yamaha Canada again this morning asking for an update, they will get weekly emails/phone calls from me until this is resolved.
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Yamaha Canada confirmed for me that they are testing a potential fix for the GPS software activation this week. I hope they got it resolved.
post #23 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Yamaha Canada confirmed for me that they are testing a potential fix for the GPS software activation this week. I hope they got it resolved.
This is an 'interesting' GPS glitch...for all of the rider reviews, have stated that there were no differences between the 2020 model and the 2018. Harmon Kardon is Yamaha's sub-contractor for the software of the Power Head which the GPS system is integral. If they did indeed ship a 2020 with a System Software, higher than v12.0.6...(which still is on both the Canadian as well as the American Yamaha website...that's what might be happening, is that the update is not being accepted by the GPS internal Power Head module.

If that is the case...then the easy fix...would be to download v12.0.6 onto a compatible flash drive...and introduce that to the update/unlock procedure. That would work...for there is nothing different technologically, between a 2018 and the 2020....

Rob...try that...it will not 'damage' your Power Head..and if there is an update this is going to be available for mass download...then you'll get that, alongside all of us...even though most of us have turned blue waiting for it...and are sinking below the waves....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
This is an 'interesting' GPS glitch...for all of the rider reviews, have stated that there were no differences between the 2020 model and the 2018. Harmon Kardon is Yamaha's sub-contractor for the software of the Power Head which the GPS system is integral. If they did indeed ship a 2020 with a System Software, higher than v12.0.6...(which still is on both the Canadian as well as the American Yamaha website...that's what might be happening, is that the update is not being accepted by the GPS internal Power Head module.

If that is the case...then the easy fix...would be to download v12.0.6 onto a compatible flash drive...and introduce that to the update/unlock procedure. That would work...for there is nothing different technologically, between a 2018 and the 2020....

Rob...try that...it will not 'damage' your Power Head..and if there is an update this is going to be available for mass download...then you'll get that, alongside all of us...even though most of us have turned blue waiting for it...and are sinking below the waves....
Thank you, I will give them a bit longer. My next trip is not until mid August so I have time. I keep bugging them each week and hopefully their testing was a success this week. If I don't get the fix then I will bug you to see if you can tell me how to download the v12.0.6. Tonight I will look to see what version is on my bike
post #25 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 04:57 PM

Quote:

You might have read my other post where I said I gave my 2020 back because the GPS didn't work. I was in the same boat as this guy that a such a high-end touring bike with GPS better work or give me back my money or do something to help me out already. They did give my money back and now I realize there is NOTHING the dealer or Yamaha can do on the 2020 and I tried all your tricks as well. I now have a new 2018 down loaded the update and boom...bob's ur uncle. 2020's are different and Yamaha has no clue...
post #26 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-17-2019, 08:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

I checked tonight the version on the bike is v12.1.0. Again I will wait to see if they come up with a fix soon and if they don't I will ask you if you know how to download the v12.0.6
post #27 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 04:04 AM

Quote:
I checked tonight the version on the bike is v12.1.0. Again I will wait to see if they come up with a fix soon and if they don't I will ask you if you know how to download the v12.0.6
So...there is then an update...hmmm. My dealer said that there was one coming about a month ago now...but it looks like a very small incremental update...or there would be v13.x

So...we now go from v12.0.6 to v12.1.0.

Well, Rob, we know that you can unlock and download the GPS maps with v12.0.6, but truly...if it were me, I wouldn't retro the software version. Yamaha will need to figure this out with their sub-contractor...Harmon Kardon. (owned by Samsung Ltd.)
post #28 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
So...there is then an update...hmmm. My dealer said that there was one coming about a month ago now...but it looks like a very small incremental update...or there would be v13.x

Well, Rob, we know that you can unlock and download the GPS maps with v12.0.6, but truly...if it were me, I wouldn't retro the software version. Yamaha will need to figure this out with their sub-contractor...Harmon Kardon. (owned by Samsung Ltd.)
I will keep bugging Yamaha (Canada) until they fix the current version. I am only about an hour away from their Canadian head office and if I don't get the fix within two weeks I will make the drive over there and hopefully be able to speak with someone more senior.

But hopefully none of this will be necessary because they are testing the fix this week, I will be reaching out to them again on Monday.
post #29 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

I will keep bugging Yamaha (Canada) until they fix the current version. I am only about an hour away from their Canadian head office and if I don't get the fix within two weeks I will make the drive over there and hopefully be able to speak with someone more senior.

But hopefully none of this will be necessary because they are testing the fix this week, I will be reaching out to them again on Monday.
RobG best of luck.
I hope you can get this resolved soon.
I had a very similar issue the first few weeks of ownership and I was lucky enough to run into a few Corp guys at one of the demo events and asked a few questions. One thing lead to another and soon I was working with the tech guy to resolve the issue. What helped me was I figured out what caused the issue and was able to duplicate on their demo bikes. Again it helped me. Then a few days later while getting updates from corp that they would soon have a fix, I figured out my or the USA issue with the home address. I called my contact at Corp and they posted a video. I hope you can do the same.
Question did the GPS work at all? If so then you should be able to get it back again. I would also go to the dealer and see if any of the demo bikes have the GPS working.
post #30 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 10:23 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
RobG best of luck.
I hope you can get this resolved soon.
I had a very similar issue the first few weeks of ownership and I was lucky enough to run into a few Corp guys at one of the demo events and asked a few questions. One thing lead to another and soon I was working with the tech guy to resolve the issue. What helped me was I figured out what caused the issue and was able to duplicate on their demo bikes. Again it helped me. Then a few days later while getting updates from corp that they would soon have a fix, I figured out my or the USA issue with the home address. I called my contact at Corp and they posted a video. I hope you can do the same.
Question did the GPS work at all? If so then you should be able to get it back again. I would also go to the dealer and see if any of the demo bikes have the GPS working.
They were never able to activate the GPS, when you go to the GPS home screen it is grey. Mine is the only bike the dealer has sold...and I checked with a few dealers in the Toronto area and have not got anywhere so far.

Yamaha Canada said they have the fix (from Yamaha Japan) and are testing it this week. I will ask again on Monday, I checked last night and there was no update posted yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode