Warning - GPS Issue - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter

Warning - GPS Issue

Yamaha Canada is having a major problem activating the GPS unit on the 2020 Venture TC (I got mine about a four to five weeks ago). I have been working with the dealer and contacted Yamaha directly a number of times. Yamaha said their tech team here can not resolve the issue so they have sent the request for a fix to Japan. It is taking too long.

I love the bike other than the GPS but a touring bike without a GPS is not a true touring bike.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Yamaha Canada is having a major problem activating the GPS unit on the 2020 Venture TC (I got mine about a four to five weeks ago). I have been working with the dealer and contacted Yamaha directly a number of times. Yamaha said their tech team here can not resolve the issue so they have sent the request for a fix to Japan. It is taking too long.

I love the bike other than the GPS but a touring bike without a GPS is not a true touring bike.

What I don't truly understand is why they are having such problems?!?!!?

Basically, with them running the same head logic software that we, who own 2018's have...is that the 2020 is technically a 2018, but just with a new paint job....so, I wonder what the problem is?!?!??!

I hope you get a resolution, and quickly....for this is weird to read!
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 01:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaParExcellence View Post
What I don't truly understand is why they are having such problems?!?!!?

Basically, with them running the same head logic software that we, who own 2018's have...is that the 2020 is technically a 2018, but just with a new paint job....so, I wonder what the problem is?!?!??!

I hope you get a resolution, and quickly....for this is weird to read!
I agree that it does not make sense, there was no apparent changes between the 2018 and 2020 models, but we are talking about software and maybe there were some changes in that. I have called a few Yamaha dealers and I am getting the strong feeling (but I have no idea if I am right) that there were not a lot of Venture TC's sold so far in Canada be it the 2018 or 2020 models. I know the one I bought was the first one the dealer has ever sold and another dealer I contacted said they sold one 2020 but could not activate the GPS and another dealer has not sold one yet. I can't think of ever seeing one on the road here yet. But I really do like the bike.

Last edited by RobG; 07-09-2019 at 01:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 02:06 PM

Garage
Without more detail this may be useless, but here goes:
You must, first, format the finger drive in a PC, using the 32FAT option. Otherwise, you'll spin your wheels all day long. I also suggest using a drive with more than the 16gigs recommended - Staples sells them for $6(US) $10 for the next size up (32? that's just coincidence...)
Good luck; I hope this is the solution you need...
I got this info from another thread here....can't remember the author, but I thanked him/her, profusely.
Rich

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Without more detail this may be useless, but here goes:
You must, first, format the finger drive in a PC, using the 32FAT option. Otherwise, you'll spin your wheels all day long. I also suggest using a drive with more than the 16gigs recommended - Staples sells them for $6(US) $10 for the next size up (32? that's just coincidence...)
Good luck; I hope this is the solution you need...
I got this info from another thread here....can't remember the author, but I thanked him/her, profusely.
Rich
Thank you, I will try this when I get the bike back. It is in the dealership getting the first service. It would be great (and funny) if it works (and I hope it does) given all the time being spent by the dealership and Yamaha on this issue to no resolve.
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 04:00 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you, I will try this when I get the bike back. It is in the dealership getting the first service. It would be great (and funny) if it works (and I hope it does) given all the time being spent by the dealership and Yamaha on this issue to no resolve.
I neglected to mention: once the finger drive was formatted in the 32FAT format, I used my MacBook to do all of the subsequent steps, as it was WAY newer and faster than the shop's PC.

As that is something that does not "ring a bell" for you, I have an even better feeling that it will be the solution...fingers are crossed!

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:00 AM
KCW

Garage
Quote:
I know you paid good money for your Venture, and you want everything to work like its suppose to.

we are both yamaha riders, and we are as opposite as can be - your statement makes me smile everytime I read it

Ursa on Garage page <= love riding my naked Royal Star wherever the road takes me :^)
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I neglected to mention: once the finger drive was formatted in the 32FAT format, I used my MacBook to do all of the subsequent steps, as it was WAY newer and faster than the shop's PC.

As that is something that does not "ring a bell" for you, I have an even better feeling that it will be the solution...fingers are crossed!
Thank you Rich, I don't have a Mac but I formatted a 32MG USB last night as you suggested. When I pick up my bike tonight and download the bike's data on the stick and then check for updates using my PC...hopefully I will get what I need .... hoping!!

I will let you know if I get lucky...
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thank you Rich, I don't have a Mac but I formatted a 32MG USB last night as you suggested. When I pick up my bike tonight and download the bike's data on the stick and then check for updates using my PC...hopefully I will get what I need .... hoping!!

I will let you know if I get lucky...
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Rich,

Thank you for trying to help but unfortunately I was not able to activate the GPS. The Yamaha dealer believes that Yamaha did make some changes to the software between the 2018 and 2020 version, primarily they think (and I have no idea if they are correct) that the GPS software is now Garmin. I don't think that was the case in 2018.

Tonight I went to activate my XM Sirius Radio free three month trial that came with the bike and XM Sirius argued and argued with me that there was no free trial even though there was a pamphlet with the bike stating there was one. Anyways after arguing for 20 minutes or so they did give me the three month free trial, but I think it was driven by I am already paying them for the service in my car for the past ten years and they owed me some loyalty.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in