SV/Eluder optional driving lights - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
SV/Eluder optional driving lights

Have you seen these in the catalog? 2DF-H54A0-V0-00

Check with your dealer...shortly after delivering my SVTC my dealer told me he got a coupon or an offer for a set at about half off..."Are you interested?" For less than $250, including tax, I almost crashed over the counter trying to hand him the money... I've seen them on LongHaulPaul's bike, but at $460, before tax, I could wait...
They came in today - installation instructions says "1.5" hours, so it'll take me two, at least. I'll take pic's from box to done, so three hours

I don't know if all dealers got this, and I've been a loyal customer for 25 years or more, so, your results may vary...as they say.

Does anyone know from experience if you need to connect to the Hi beam wire to get the dual intensity? Other than to tap into the headlight wire from the relay, there is an included switch, bit it seems to be just on and off...in a first read of the instructions, I do not see a specified course of action, it's just either low beam wire or hi beam. While the "tap" is just a pin, I'd rather not do it twice...
Rich

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 07:52 PM
KCW

Garage
the factory "passing / driving" lights on my 2000 Royal Star are only on with the low beams, and there is a switch to turn them off always (on the side of the passing light bucket).

I guess it depends on how you want to use them

I though they would be most useful when the highbeams are on, to light up the sides of the road in the pitch dark a little better

but after a few thousand miles on the bike I think they are most benefical being on during the day time, with the low beams - it makes the front of the bike look bigger with 3 lights on - I think it gives on coming drivers better depth perception on how far away I am, and how fast Im approaching them.

I have covered my low beam at night and observed my 'passing lights' are only several watts each, and the light is widely dispersed.

If the additional lights are more focused, like hi beams, then you would probably want them on with the high beams instead... But with modern motorcycle headlights I dont think that would be necessary - the new LED multi segment headlights already light up a dark road like someone turned on street lights all the way down the road.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-09-2019, 10:13 PM

No idea about functionality or practicality, but those look BADA$$!
GreenMtnHunter likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 AM Thread Starter

Garage
I had the same set on my Royal* and currently use them on my Road*. At some point, the switch in the left bulb housing failed, and I went thru various replacements, until the current switch, now mounted in my Wild Custom fairing. It's the round style with a little red diode to indicate on...and I agree, best use is daytime visibility. I have run all manner of 4" marker light in there...friends say the daytime use of the deep-yellow fog lights makes the bike noticeable from furthest away and is less irritating when I'm not in the lead; I think they like to know it's me coming, so they can hide....

I have not yet run the SV at night; opportunity has been slim, AND the damn bugs are still so thick, they cover the vehicle in short order! I bought the lights, really, because the deal was too good to pass. I'm gonna wait til I get my insp. sticker to install them - VT has weird laws about what can be on and when.... I'm worried that the stock fog lights will not meet state specs. because they work at both low and hi beam. I'm not interested in riding an hour to the nearest VT MC dealer just for a sticker, but I may have to if the local stations are as unfamiliar with this bike as they are with my others...don't get me started - I'll hijack my own thread.
KCW likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:33 AM

I have them installed on my Star Venture. There is one wire for the low beam and one for the high beam. They are installed to the low and high relays.
If your state says you can't have them working when light are on bright I would not install the one wire for the high beam relay.
Haven't used them at night yet but have used them during low light levels during the day. I like to use them in heavy traffic as it makes me more visible.
KCW and GreenMtnHunter like this.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:45 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thank you!
I read the directions at step 11 too quickly, and did not read step 12... I thought it was an "either-or" situation.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 12:17 PM

Happens to me all the time. I think its a age thing.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Ya...but it's supposed to be the youngsters who rush through things....
;-)
KCW likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 10:17 PM
KCW

Garage
Genesis says god created the universe and all life in 6 days, and rested on the 7th.

I would have thought about it for 6 days, and done it all in 1.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:46 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Genesis says god created the universe and all life in 6 days, and rested on the 7th.

I would have thought about it for 6 days, and done it all in 1.
Inferring that you would not have missed key elements of the instructions...? Took me a sec...
lesblank likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode