Strapping Down STVC - Page 2 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:07 PM
Senior Member
 
GARider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Thanks Ron, given I am just loading and unloading the bike I will leave the seat on based on what you said and if need be strap over it unless someone has done something better to strap their bike to the deck.
Hey RobG
I had to strap mine SVTC down on a flatbed when it died on me.
First we place it on the kick/side stand and then I ran a few straps on the passenger foot rests but I used another strap to pull the strap from the foot rest away from the side bag on each side. Then I put a strap on each fork but I tied the the strap and tied up the metal hook so it wouldn't damage anything.
If you can take off the side bags it would be a little easier.
Then the bike was picked up by the dealer with a trailer and they strapped the handle bars and forks. Again then tied the straps around the handle and forks and then tied up the metal hook to prevent damage. Again on the kick/side stand (wasn't a big fan of it but it worked) I know probable not a boat deck but maybe the flatbed would be closer to a boat tie down.
Here is a picture on the trailer. I hope it come thru.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2617.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	84782  
Keith Post and GreenMtnHunter like this.
GARider is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Member
 
RobG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Hey RobG
I had to strap mine SVTC down on a flatbed when it died on me.
First we place it on the kick/side stand and then I ran a few straps on the passenger foot rests but I used another strap to pull the strap from the foot rest away from the side bag on each side. Then I put a strap on each fork but I tied the the strap and tied up the metal hook so it wouldn't damage anything.
If you can take off the side bags it would be a little easier.
Then the bike was picked up by the dealer with a trailer and they strapped the handle bars and forks. Again then tied the straps around the handle and forks and then tied up the metal hook to prevent damage. Again on the kick/side stand (wasn't a big fan of it but it worked) I know probable not a boat deck but maybe the flatbed would be closer to a boat tie down.
Here is a picture on the trailer. I hope it come thru.
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion!!
Keith Post likes this.
RobG is offline  
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 05:31 AM
Senior Member
 
NorthernRider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 1,955
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadder View Post
THE Bluenose on the back of a dime or a ferry also named the Blue Nose? I assume the latter.
Definitely not the one on the Canadian dime. That's a restored sloop from the 1800s. There used to be a high speed ferry from Portland ME to Yarmouth NS called The Cat but I think that was sent to Australia a few years back. Not sure what's operating there now.

And yes, the Fundy coast is an amazing ride. One of my favorites.
blackadder and GreenMtnHunter like this.

Paul
2007 Vulcan Nomad
V&H exhaust

2000 V Star 1100 Classic (Sold)
All stock except for:
Kuryakyn Grips
4" Risers
Switchblade Quick Release Windshield
Ugly but somewhat functional saddlebags
NorthernRider is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:20 AM
Senior Member
 
GreenMtnHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southern Vermont
Posts: 114
Garage
Ah! I know the image on the dime....Again, I'm not always correct, but if a "high speed" ferry left Portland just before Sunset in August and arrived Yarmouth well after sunrise, then we were on "The Cat" and my father just called it the "Blue Nose" - he bought the tickets...One ride on that big ol' stink pot was enough for me...I remember wondering if the "new" catamaran was a nicer boat... On subsequent trips we sheltered at the Fundy National Park. Those were great rides. felt like a 20 degree lean into the wind on Canso Causeway, just to maintain a straight line! Eyes popping at the sight of what looked like surf coming of the tops of the 18-wheelers coming at us.... I believe I was on my Royal Star, so it would have been around the year 2000.

Rob,
If you throw a 4mm, T handle, hex into your bags, I think the seat removal is fairly easy...I've done it several times trying to chase down antenna issues... (weak FM reception and poor CB Tx.) If you do it a couple times at home, it should be a breeze (lol) on a boat. Especially, if you have a passenger to whom you can pass the screws and the side plates as you remove them.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
GreenMtnHunter is offline  
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RobG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
Ah! I know the image on the dime....Again, I'm not always correct, but if a "high speed" ferry left Portland just before Sunset in August and arrived Yarmouth well after sunrise, then we were on "The Cat" and my father just called it the "Blue Nose" - he bought the tickets...One ride on that big ol' stink pot was enough for me...I remember wondering if the "new" catamaran was a nicer boat... On subsequent trips we sheltered at the Fundy National Park. Those were great rides. felt like a 20 degree lean into the wind on Canso Causeway, just to maintain a straight line! Eyes popping at the sight of what looked like surf coming of the tops of the 18-wheelers coming at us.... I believe I was on my Royal Star, so it would have been around the year 2000.

Rob,
If you throw a 4mm, T handle, hex into your bags, I think the seat removal is fairly easy...I've done it several times trying to chase down antenna issues... (weak FM reception and poor CB Tx.) If you do it a couple times at home, it should be a breeze (lol) on a boat. Especially, if you have a passenger to whom you can pass the screws and the side plates as you remove them.
Thank you, I will give it a shot.
RobG is offline  
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Senior Member
 
GARider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 362
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
Thank you, I appreciate the suggestion!!
You are welcome, so basically six straps are needed if you use the passenger foot rest and front forks. Also I forgot to mentioned I also used a few rags to protect any place the strap or metal hook could come in contact with any part of the bike.
Good luck. Enjoy.
GARider is offline  
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:44 AM
KCW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 4,966
Garage
putting the strap over the seat and pulling it tight on both ends on the deck will not work.

Picture doing that with a rope, and in place of the seat there is a pulley, as you lean the bike from left to right the rope goes over the pulley, and the bike is fully free to fall over either way.

Ok.. replace the pulley with your seat - now all you have is the surface friction of the strap touching the seat - not a lot of force there, no matter how hard you pull the strap tight.

You need a strap on the left side in a solid connection with the frame somewhere to keep the bike from moving at all to the right, and another strap on the right side to the deck. Both must be connected to the bike, not looped over it, and not wrapped around anything.

I learned this the hard way going on a camping trip with a sea-bag on my passenger seat. I had bungee cords and ropes going over the bag from one side to the other (like your proposed straps going over the seat), but there was nothing stopping the bag from rolling right and left under the straps.

I had to stop twice with in 10 miles from home, the bag kept rolling to one side or the other - I kept pulling the straps tighter, to no avail. I had to take all the straps and ropes off and start over, using the handle in the middle of the bag as an anchor point.

strapping stuff solidly to a motorcycle and strapping down a motorcycle is easy, but there are wrong ways to do it that look like they are secure, until the suspension compresses a tiny bit on a bounce, and the bike falls over.
KCW is offline  
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RobG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
putting the strap over the seat and pulling it tight on both ends on the deck will not work.

Picture doing that with a rope, and in place of the seat there is a pulley, as you lean the bike from left to right the rope goes over the pulley, and the bike is fully free to fall over either way.

Ok.. replace the pulley with your seat - now all you have is the surface friction of the strap touching the seat - not a lot of force there, no matter how hard you pull the strap tight.

You need a strap on the left side in a solid connection with the frame somewhere to keep the bike from moving at all to the right, and another strap on the right side to the deck. Both must be connected to the bike, not looped over it, and not wrapped around anything.

I learned this the hard way going on a camping trip with a sea-bag on my passenger seat. I had bungee cords and ropes going over the bag from one side to the other (like your proposed straps going over the seat), but there was nothing stopping the bag from rolling right and left under the straps.

I had to stop twice with in 10 miles from home, the bag kept rolling to one side or the other - I kept pulling the straps tighter, to no avail. I had to take all the straps and ropes off and start over, using the handle in the middle of the bag as an anchor point.

strapping stuff solidly to a motorcycle and strapping down a motorcycle is easy, but there are wrong ways to do it that look like they are secure, until the suspension compresses a tiny bit on a bounce, and the bike falls over.
Thanks....makes a lot of sense .....I did not think of that. My Roadstar was simple to strap down so much open metal. I got a private message suggesting that I can buy straps specifically for the grips from Amazon and he has used it on a SVTC and it worked well. So I am thinking of buying those combined with a strap around the rear wheel to simply stopping it from moving forward thereby reducing the slack on the straps around the grips. This should result in the straps not coming in contact with any fiberglass part, I will look at the bike again tonight.

I appreciate everyone's help.

Last edited by RobG; 07-16-2019 at 09:01 AM.
RobG is offline  
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM
Senior Member
 
GARider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 362
Please let us know what you end up with and how it worked out and any suggestions.
GARider is offline  
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-16-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Member
 
RobG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: Oakville, Ontario
Posts: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARider View Post
Please let us know what you end up with and how it worked out and any suggestions.
I will do, thanks again.
RobG is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome