Strapping Down STVC - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Strapping Down STVC

During some of my trips I end up needing a ferry. I have two crossings coming up this year. My Roadstar was easy to tie down to the boat deck given there was so much open metal to reach without scratching the painted surfaces. The SVTC has a lot of fiberglass and will be more difficult to tie down without the strap coming into contact with a painted surface. The only conclusion I have come up with so far to tighten the bike down to the deck is to put a strap across the seat (but I hope it doesn't impact the seat warming device). Has anyone strapped their SVTC to a boat deck yet and how did you do it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:02 AM

Garage
I was intending to trailer my SV home from the dealer to save an hour's trip for my wife. My dealer implored me to reconsider until I had a decent wheel chock device; "decent" - implied, because he kept saying "Condor", the most expensive one I have seen.
I ended up driving home from work that night, and she dropped me off the following day...then I rode the bike home after work.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
I was intending to trailer my SV home from the dealer to save an hour's trip for my wife. My dealer implored me to reconsider until I had a decent wheel chock device; "decent" - implied, because he kept saying "Condor", the most expensive one I have seen.
I ended up driving home from work that night, and she dropped me off the following day...then I rode the bike home after work.
Thanks but not an option on a ferry. They require you to tie down your bike securely to the deck using straps hooked to the deck so as the boat moves around your bike doesn't fall over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 08:53 AM

Garage
I did that, once, on the Blue Nose from Portland to Halifax. What we discovered in the process was that the Fundy Coastline was much more fun to ride! The ferry ride was fine, though I did wonder about the bike at about 2 AM when I woke up thinking I was going to slide right out of my bunk.... I was on a Road Star then - not much help... I think that if you remove the seat, the frame is just above the stuff, stuffed in there...cover with plastic, (trash bag and tape or a bungie) if you are expecting rough seas?
Deeksvstarclassic likes this.

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
--

With my Condor on trips, I run straps around my Eluder forks about half way up and one to my sissy bar. For a short crossing, couldn't you just use your handlebars and just make them tight, not torqued to compression on front fork?

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 09:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
--

With my Condor on trips, I run straps around my Eluder forks about half way up and one to my sissy bar. For a short crossing, couldn't you just use your handlebars and just make them tight, not torqued to compression on front fork?

--
I considered that, but it depends on where the hooks are positioned on the floor of the boat deck, I think it is more secure crossing the seat and I should be able to crank down a bit which will push down the front and rear suspension. I would remove the seat but that I don't believe is quick removal.

Anyone strapped down a STVC onto a boat deck yet? or am I leading the way :-)
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:19 AM

Location: Western Colorado (Grand Junction) summers, Wickenburg, AZ winters.
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobG View Post
I considered that, but it depends on where the hooks are positioned on the floor of the boat deck, I think it is more secure crossing the seat and I should be able to crank down a bit which will push down the front and rear suspension. I would remove the seat but that I don't believe is quick removal.

Anyone strapped down a STVC onto a boat deck yet? or am I leading the way :-)
--

The stock seat removal is a process of time and frustration. I have modified mine by eliminating the two side hex bolts and need for two side pan removals by using for hold down just one push pin on the right side where I don't need tools to remove the pan. The push pin is the type that is about an inch long, has a ring on one end and a small spring loaded ball on the other. It fits a little loose, but only wiggles when I'm getting on the bike and never comes off accidentally.

--

--
How will I know when I get there if I don't know where I'm going?
--
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 11:35 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMtnHunter View Post
I did that, once, on the Blue Nose from Portland to Halifax.
THE Bluenose on the back of a dime or a ferry also named the Blue Nose? I assume the latter.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 01:00 PM

Garage
I don't know about the dime; I believe the ferry from Portland ME to Nova Scotia was called The Blue Nose...but I've been wrong before...

Rich
Seven Stars/Tuning Forks
2018 SVTC
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-15-2019, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonK View Post
--

The stock seat removal is a process of time and frustration. I have modified mine by eliminating the two side hex bolts and need for two side pan removals by using for hold down just one push pin on the right side where I don't need tools to remove the pan. The push pin is the type that is about an inch long, has a ring on one end and a small spring loaded ball on the other. It fits a little loose, but only wiggles when I'm getting on the bike and never comes off accidentally.

--
Thanks Ron, given I am just loading and unloading the bike I will leave the seat on based on what you said and if need be strap over it unless someone has done something better to strap their bike to the deck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode