Be glad you chose Yamaha..and not an HD M8! - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 26Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-18-2019, 01:22 PM Thread Starter

Be glad you chose Yamaha..and not an HD M8!

Here's why...wow...

Keith Post and GreenMtnHunter like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 AM

Garage
Iíd heard about the issues with the M8, but Iím not really surprised at the lack of quality of engineering. I simply donít get the lure of wanting an HD and this is no reflection of any of our members that choose to own. I say that based on the experience many of my friends that have owned one. No longer can they say theyíre 100% made in America. Then Yamaha comes along and drops the Vstar line being the most reliable bikes. I guess Iíll be buying used Vstars that have been well taken care of by previous owners for as long as I choose to ride.
I saw yesterday on the way home a 2007 650 with 7800 miles on it for sale. Super clean, aftermarket exhaust, and small upgrades. $2500 or best offer, and you can tell it was garage kept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Akjpl and Deeksvstarclassic like this.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 10:33 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
I’d heard about the issues with the M8, but I’m not really surprised at the lack of quality of engineering. I simply don’t get the lure of wanting an HD and this is no reflection of any of our members that choose to own. I say that based on the experience many of my friends that have owned one. No longer can they say they’re 100% made in America. Then Yamaha comes along and drops the Vstar line being the most reliable bikes. I guess I’ll be buying used Vstars that have been well taken care of by previous owners for as long as I choose to ride.
I saw yesterday on the way home a 2007 650 with 7800 miles on it for sale. Super clean, aftermarket exhaust, and small upgrades. $2500 or best offer, and you can tell it was garage kept.

Those are nice bikes, but too small for me Keith. I like having a bit more there even if f I’m riding solo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Those are nice bikes, but too small for me Keith. I like having a bit more there even if f I’m riding solo.
Even after more than three years with the 650 Custom, I have no wish for a larger bike. After all, this one does everything that I need it to do, and does it very well. It's reliable, comfortable, looks amazing, has more than ample low-end torque, and can get me a speeding ticket in no time flat. The way I look at it, if I was to get a larger bike the increased insurance premium just might remove the perma-grin from my face!

Glen
www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

2014 YAMAHA V-STAR CUSTOM
MC Enterprises engine guard
Big Bike Parts chrome solo rack
"Clevver" clutch lever
clutch adjustment kit
SupaBrake III brake light modulator
Cortech Super 2.0 (24 litre) tail bag
clock/thermometer set
QDC harness/USB phone charger
Furygan leather gloves
Xelement leather jacket
NexGen riding boots
HJC CL-17 Redline helmet/Pinlock insert
Oxford paddock stands
Nelson-Rigg deluxe cover
Battery Tender Junior
cable lock
Helmet Hooker

2014 HONDA CB500FA
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-20-2019, 03:10 PM

Garage
Yamaha makes some really good bikes, but I like my M8 a lot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:25 AM

Garage
Absolutely Nurteaff! You pay your money, you take your pick. My take on it is pretty simple, theyíre a cookie cutter brand, everyone has either owned or currently owns one. Theyíre good bikes no doubt, but their issues are well documented. Iím sure theyíve gotten better over the years, but in my opinion when you pay top dollar for one, you should get top dollar quality. The HDís we rode in the MSF course I took in Southaven when I still lived in North Ms, was the most uncomfortable bike Iíve ever ridden. I simply donít understand the lure for the name.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 09:48 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Post View Post
Absolutely Nurteaff! You pay your money, you take your pick. My take on it is pretty simple, theyíre a cookie cutter brand, everyone has either owned or currently owns one. Theyíre good bikes no doubt, but their issues are well documented. Iím sure theyíve gotten better over the years, but in my opinion when you pay top dollar for one, you should get top dollar quality. The HDís we rode in the MSF course I took in Southaven when I still lived in North Ms, was the most uncomfortable bike Iíve ever ridden. I simply donít understand the lure for the name.

Yes, those Street 500 they use in MSF class are very uncomfortable, especially for decent size person. But they are entry level HDs that aren't even made in US, but India. It's hard to explain, Keith, but owning an HD is more like a lifestyle. Yes, they charge premium and their bike have issues, but there is something that in my opinion makes Harley a Harley. I like all the bikes, I don't care what everybody else rides as long as they ride we are all like a brotherhood (well, at least I wish it was), I just wanted a Harley and I got it. Qualitywise you get better paint, better plastic and attention to small details. No doubt Yamaha makes good and reliable bikes, but if I had to choose between my old Stryker and my current Road King Special... well, I made my choice. Don't really want to start any kind of "brand name war", just wanted to say that to each their own.

Good Sunday to everybody!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Wife: 2018 Sportster Forty Eight Special
Me: 2019 Road King Special
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-21-2019, 11:30 AM

Garage
I agree with Nurteaff that Harley is a life style. It was more of a cult in the 70s but their image has changed with marketing to family people. Being from Milwaukee i do love the heritage, i would love to have a softtail classic. I just can't afford or justify paying 4x more money. Back in 1988 i was going to buy a 1981 FXRS from someone i knew. When i had the cash he renigged. I bought a shadow instead and the rest is history. Some of my best friends have Harleys but i just can't spend more $ for the name. I have been known for the top of the line of the cheap stuff. (I don't mean to offend anyone with that).

They are a lot more reliable than pre-evolution engines
Keith Post and nurtaeff like this.

I ain't lost until the tank is empty!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-22-2019, 06:54 AM

Garage
I understand and appreciate your honesty and opinion, and Iím not starting or wanting to start a brand war. Your friendship is worth far more than that! I base my thoughts on what Iíve seen, read, and experienced first hand. Just like when I walk into place in uniform and I hear the donut comments or, ĎI didnít do it, he did!í and they break out laughing.
HD marketing and parts availability is second to none and weíve all seen that. I wish Yamaha was half as good in marketing as HDís.

lesblank, nurtaeff, Akjpl and 1 others like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-23-2019, 07:42 PM

I'm having a hard time believing that head gasket lasted 8 thousand miles with that much of a step on the crankcase halfes. Must have been leaking for a long time. I would think a guy would be able to hear it.
Keith Post likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode