Stock exhaust - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By ChiefGunner
  • 2 Post By ChiefGunner
  • 2 Post By Kevin White
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 09:20 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Stock exhaust

I know this has been put out there. Who has drilled out the baffles in their stock exhaust? Does it help any? Does it sound any better or louder than spending $500 on slip-on's?

Thanks

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Unread 08-22-2019, 02:16 PM

On which bike? I did a 1/4 inch slot around half the last baffle and put a 3/8 hole in the bottom center of it. Made it sound much better and the air was perfect to put the spark plugs burning perfect brown in color.......This was on a V Star 650 classic

US Navy, ' 75- '85
'03 VStar 650 Classic
'06 Stratoliner
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Unread 08-28-2019, 03:58 PM

Garage
Kinda like JSpree said, I drilled a hole through the restriction plates on my 2013 Vulcan Voyager and while it did give it a slightly better sound, it still wasn't what I was looking for. I ended up forking out the cash for Vance and Hines slash cut pipes, and, honestly over time they've gotten too loud for me especially when I'm towing a trailer.

Not my video, but here's an example of difference in sound on the stock Voyager pipes before and after the baffles were drilled.

Kevin - Future SVTC Owner

Me: 2013 Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager, Speedohealer, Chuckster BAK, V&H slash tip exhaust, RacnRay Throttle Mod, P205/60R-16 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season
Wife: 2011 Harley StreetGlide, you know, that black HD over there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Unread 08-30-2019, 06:44 AM

Garage
Hey Guys, this thread is for “Venture & Eluder” so WHY are we getting V-Star, Vulcan, etc??
Please put these convos in the appropriate thread.
If it has to do with Venture & Eluder then it belongs here.
Thank you!
lesblank likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Unread 08-30-2019, 06:50 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter6462 View Post
I know this has been put out there. Who has drilled out the baffles in their stock exhaust? Does it help any? Does it sound any better or louder than spending $500 on slip-on's?

Thanks
If you’re dealing with a Star Venture or Eluder, and your bike is relatively “new”; or less than 5k miles, I suggest you wait.
The pipes on this bike “burn in” after that time and the sound becomes louder and deeper. It’s actually very nice. I’d wait until I know what the mature sound is before modifying unless you WANT real loud pipes like a HD.
I had considered drilling out the baffle plug myself but am glad I waited. The sound right now is very nice and noticeable without being a constant drone.
Just my 2 cents over 30k miles.
lesblank and hunter6462 like this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Unread Yesterday, 10:45 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Hey Guys, this thread is for “Venture & Eluder” so WHY are we getting V-Star, Vulcan, etc??
Thank you!
I don't doubt that the SV sounds different than a v-star or a vulcan, but
  • It was a more generic question about the exhaust
  • Nobody's had actually posted a useful response specific to the SV, or given any response in a week
  • there's some level of expectation that can be derived from the results others have had with big V-Twins, regardless of make/model
  • in my case, I don't have the exact bike to compare, but I can at least share my experience both with drilling out baffles and slip-ons

I'm not here to be a troll. I'm here like I hope everyone else is to share my love of being on two wheels and share my experiences whatever they might be, and hopefully stay mostly on topic.

That said, Chief, you're exactly right. It sounds (no pun intended) that your stock pipes did exactly like my V&H pipes over a few thousand miles and got louder. Unless the OP is looking for really loud, I'd agree and say stick with stock for a few more thousand miles before making a decision.

Take care and keep the shiny side up
lesblank and hunter6462 like this.

Kevin - Future SVTC Owner

Me: 2013 Kawasaki VN1700 Voyager, Speedohealer, Chuckster BAK, V&H slash tip exhaust, RacnRay Throttle Mod, P205/60R-16 Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All-Season
Wife: 2011 Harley StreetGlide, you know, that black HD over there
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 06:02 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin White View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefGunner View Post
Thank you!
I don't doubt that the SV sounds different than a v-star or a vulcan, but
  • It was a more generic question about the exhaust
  • Nobody's had actually posted a useful response specific to the SV, or given any response in a week
  • there's some level of expectation that can be derived from the results others have had with big V-Twins, regardless of make/model
  • in my case, I don't have the exact bike to compare, but I can at least share my experience both with drilling out baffles and slip-ons

I'm not here to be a troll. I'm here like I hope everyone else is to share my love of being on two wheels and share my experiences whatever they might be, and hopefully stay mostly on topic.

That said, Chief, you're exactly right. It sounds (no pun intended) that your stock pipes did exactly like my V&H pipes over a few thousand miles and got louder. Unless the OP is looking for really loud, I'd agree and say stick with stock for a few more thousand miles before making a decision.

Take care and keep the shiny side up [IMG class=inlineimg]/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif[/IMG]
Thanks for posting @Kevin White , my pipes are significantly louder than when I first bought the bike and I haven’t modded them at all.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Unread Today, 12:48 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I have over 12K on my Venture and don't hear any difference. Thanks for the input!!

Riding alone can clear your mind, while riding with friends can fill your heart
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in