Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Fuel Mileage Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental in Touring Mode

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  ChiefGunner 
#1 · (Edited)
Rode 218.2 miles two up with my wife and when I refueled it took 4.736 gallons of fuel.

218.2 divided by 4.736 = 46.07 MPG

The fuel tank holds 6.6 gallons of fuel deduct 4.736 and that leaves 1.864 gallons of fuel still in the tank.

This motorcycle gets great fuel mileage for a 963 pound motorcycle with additional weight of a rider and passenger plus what is in the saddle bags.

The Yamaha Star Venture is the best touring motorcycle on the market this is from an owner who has owned Honda Goldwing GL1500, Victory Cross Country Tour and Harley Davidson Ultra Limited, none of those motorcycles can come close to the Yamaha Star Venture Transcontinental.

I have put miles as an owner of each the above mentioned motorcycles and can say from experience that the Yamaha is the best hands down.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
--

I don't know if you have considered, but there are some variables. First is your bike odometer is probably not correct (mine now with the larger rear tire is 2.5% less distance than actual using my GPS). Your bike's display mileage number may not have calculated correctly. That has to always be done with a calculator to be really accurate. And the amount of gas used to fill can be off from the prior fill as it's hard to always get to the exact same spot on the filler tube. Averaging a half dozen fills would be more accurate.

All that said, I have corrected things using my GPS on a number of occasions, so now just use the bike's calculations as an approximate and let it go as that.

I do find that three things affect mileage. First is speed, second is road grade, third is head wind. I suspect elevation may have some effect too, but that may only be on my carburetor bikes. Both types get a little over 50 mpg over 4,000' in easy riding.

--

#5 ·
The speedometer/odometer are both fine, my wife has followed my in our car and the speed matches hers and I have passed multiple radar trailers used to warn you of your speed. The speedometer always matches what flashes up on the radar readout so any error that may be there is very small, all my calculations are done by hand not using the display readout.

As to filling up the tank it is very easy to fill this tank to the same amount each time because of the design of the tank, there is a metal reference point that you can fill up to so you know you are at the same point each time you fill up.

#6 ·
Going by the trip computer I do not get close to that mileage. The best I have gotten while driving it like a baby and never going over 60 was something like 44. I usually get about 38 as an average but have been known to twist the throttle.

#10 ·
You’re right, you don’t BUT it sure makes it nice for the long haul when you do get good mileage.
I do know that Yamaha’s advertised mileage for the SVTC is 34mpg. I have yet to see anyone get that low even riding two up and pulling a trailer. To me, that’s excellent.
Don’t know why Yamaha advertised such low numbers, but I’d rather be pleasantly surprised than to be pissed off because I’m not getting at least what they said I would.

#9 ·
The wife & I just got back from a 12 day, 10 state tour. 2850 miles riding 2-up & towing a (slightly overloaded) Dart cargo trailer. The bulk of that mileage was on interstates clipping along at 75+ MPH. Our overall (calculated) average for that trip was 36.62 MPG.

Which, believe it or not, is only 0.9 MPG less than my overall average of 37.52 since the bike was new. I have no complaints about this bike's fuel mileage. My butt needs a rest *long* before the bike needs fuel. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.