Yamaha Starbike Forum banner

Insurance

5K views 30 replies 15 participants last post by  NorthernRider 
#1 ·
What company is everyone using to insure their SVTC?

Adding it to my existing policy with progressive is about $1700 a year.

Markel insurance wants about $1200 a year.

Geico won't insure motorcycles in Michigan.

USAA wants over $2000 thru progressive as a single bike not keeping my Suzuki on the policy.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Eric

#5 · (Edited)
I don’t know why your Progressive is so high.
I have a multiple vehicle policy with them. 1 SUV, 1 work truck & my bike.
For full coverage on the bike including any upgrades I’ve done only raised my rates by $78 a month. I have full replacement value up to one year newer. I did put $5500 down on the bike which put the bike in the black as far as value so that might have helped. I don’t know.
I am in North Carolina so location has a lot to do with rates. I’ve also been riding for 35years and am over 55 so that helps too.

#7 ·
The rates are definitely tied into which state you lived in. Here's an interesting chart.

#9 ·
$350 a year with Progressive, full coverage on both bikes and my gear

62, riding for 7 years - took the MSF course (10% off)

Reactions: GreenMtnHunter
#11 ·
^ that graph shows what government corruption looks like

something is criminally wrong in Michigan, seriously!

#12 ·
Here's why:

Michigan has the most expensive insurance because it has the most expensive benefits.

Michigan auto insurance has a unique and very expensive feature: Every policy includes unlimited medical coverage, also known as personal injury protection or PIP, for auto-accident victims.

Reactions: Deeksvstarclassic
#14 ·
Gotta say that's definitely the first time I was glad to be in Washington! Up until this last July we weren't required to have motorcycle insurance here. So the one time I did have it (a precaution on my honeymoon) it was almost $900 a year, but I was 23 with only 4 years of riding experience at the time. I noticed 8 years later, it's considerably cheaper with the requirement for all riders to be insured.

#15 · (Edited)
Found price comparison for motorcycles. The Louisiana folks are the highest, interesting.

Reactions: dpeters
#21 ·
Insurance rates are dependent on a lot of factors:
Your state
Your age
Driving record
Value of your bike
Limits of coverage

I've always thought that MC insurance in my state (NC) was fairly reasonable.
Progressive has always been a company with reasonable rates for things like MC, watercraft, campers, etc.
I was able to put my MC on Erie Ins. with my other 3 vehicles and it was a good bit cheaper than Progressive or anyone else. Got same coverage as rest of my other vehicles. So got more coverage at a cheaper price this way.

#26 ·
No, I was only looking to get the bike insured so I could pick it up on the first. I am doing more research now. I am leaning toward Dairyland. I did sign up with Allstate, but as of yesterday, they still have no policy information on me. I do have a letter from them saying I have coverage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.