Yamaha Venture - Shaft Drive Maint. - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Nash40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Yamaha Venture - Shaft Drive Maint.

I previously owned a VStar 650 which required the Shaft drive to be pulled apart and the splines greased internally every tire change.
Is the Yamaha Venture the same process?
I did all the work on the VStar shaft drive myself and it wasn't a big deal but the Venture has a little different design it appears.

I'm going to purchase a service manual but I thought I would ask the other owners what they do with their bikes to maintain the shaft drive.

Thanks
bullboy0852 and bullboy0852 like this.

2006 Yamaha Venture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 12:24 PM

Pretty much same. Lube slpines and shaft after each tire change and check the final drive oil at recommended interval. Yamalube gear oil is like 8 bucks at dealer. Cheap. Get almost 4 changes from it. Make sure you align the final drive too. Can look procedure up easily.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM
KCW

Garage
Actually you do not need to pull the drive shaft assembly all apart and grease all the splines on a VStar 650 everytime you change the rear tire.

Some of the early bikes were not properly greased at the factory, or they used the wrong grease, and the splines failed.

There is nothing in the maintenance schedule for the bike on greasing the drive shaft. That is the whole point of having a drive shaft instead of a chain, there is very little maintenance.

It certainly does not hurt to clear off the spline that is exposed when you change the tire and put new grease on it, or to disassemble the rear drive and grease the other 3 or 4 in there, maybe every 30,000 miles, as long as you use the right moly and do it correctly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:47 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
Actually you do not need to pull the drive shaft assembly all apart and grease all the splines on a VStar 650 everytime you change the rear tire.

Some of the early bikes were not properly greased at the factory, or they used the wrong grease, and the splines failed.

There is nothing in the maintenance schedule for the bike on greasing the drive shaft. That is the whole point of having a drive shaft instead of a chain, there is very little maintenance.

It certainly does not hurt to clear off the spline that is exposed when you change the tire and put new grease on it, or to disassemble the rear drive and grease the other 3 or 4 in there, maybe every 30,000 miles, as long as you use the right moly and do it correctly.
after hearing all the stories about 650 splines stripped out and the high cost of replacing the unit plus possibly getting stranded i take the extra few minuets to remove 4 acorn nuts and at least check it. i clean and do a complete inspection over the winter so why not do that too, but mine is inside in a heated room for winter so for me it's no big deal, plus i just like tinkering on it, i like to see how much the valve clearances moved too even though i haven't had to touch them after the 20,000 mile mark i'm now at 65,000 after a certain amount of time i guess they don't wear much at least not enough to see on a feeler gauge

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 02:59 PM
KCW

Garage
I think we only hear the stories about the 650 spines that failed, but we dont hear from the million+ riders that had no problems.

There is definitely merit to going through an entire bike and greasing every cable and bearing, esp if you love wrenching on machines. But I wouldnt want people to think it is required.

The other thing I saw mentioned is aligning the rear wheel when you change the tire. There is nothing in the shop manual about this, or the owners manual. I think if you mess with the rear assembly you may have to re-align the final drive. But if you just take it off and put it back on, the gear assembly bolts to the swing arm in four places - there is nothing to align.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 03:44 PM

Haven't read the manual but I think as plenty of others have mentioned, its better safe than sorry. The Royal stars and Ventures do have to be re aligned if taking the final drive off for re greasing of the shaft with Yamalube Moly grease which is another cheap great product, which in my experience took about 30 mins. Cheap inexpensive insurance.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:09 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwcali01 View Post
Haven't read the manual but I think as plenty of others have mentioned, its better safe than sorry. The Royal stars and Ventures do have to be re aligned if taking the final drive off for re greasing of the shaft with Yamalube Moly grease which is another cheap great product, which in my experience took about 30 mins. Cheap inexpensive insurance.
do you know the percentage of moly in the yamalube stuff?

dumb bikers don't get to be old bikers
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-25-2017, 09:56 PM

It doesnt say the ratio just the use on back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1495767222328193998193_1495767240310.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	70665   Click image for larger version

Name:	1495767290474428029580_1495767304900.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	70673  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM
KCW

Garage
Ive heard other say you want at least 60% moly. Locktite makes a moly paste that is 65%.

If you use generic moly grease it will mostly fling off and run the splines dry.

lots of info here: http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Shaft.html#Grease

Last edited by KCW; 05-26-2017 at 10:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode