Rear wheel install - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By KCW
  • 1 Post By Gary Buckley
  • 1 Post By lesblank
  • 1 Post By Gary Buckley
  • 1 Post By Gary Buckley

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Rear wheel install

Can anyone tell me if the rear wheel should get harder to rotate the more I tighten the axel nut on my 2009 royal star. I have removed it twice and rechecked that the spacers are in the proper place but still is very hard to rotate by hand when I tighten it up.Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:33 PM

Garage
What torque values are you using? Here's a link to free service manual.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...SwvoAAXuBsCsu_

Here screenshot with torque specs.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:59 PM
KCW

Garage
no no no no no

the wheel is on bearings and should spin freely

you got something binding somewhere or your shaft drive unit is not engaging right

Les posted the link for the Road Star by mistake, you can find the Royal Star Yamaha factory service manual online as a free PDF download

down load the manual and read the section on removing and installing the rear wheel. If you just winged it you might have taken off something you shouldnt have. I skimmed thru it once, and unlike the VS650 and VS1100, on the Royal star the shaft drive stays attached to the swing arm in place when you take the back wheel off.

did you take the brake caliper off to make it easier to get the wheel in place? If not that could be binding if the wheel is not aligned right.
lesblank likes this.

Last edited by KCW; 04-10-2019 at 07:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

yes I removed the caliper and arm.The wheel seems to mess up nice and rotates freely until I tighten the nut.I never torqued it to spec because of the hard rotating issue as I was checking it as I was tightening the nut.As far as I know there are only 2 spacers on the caliper side and I checked online doing a search and it shows where and how each one goes.I had tires installed today so just maybe something was changed at that time. I have changed the rear wheel on a honda VTX shaft drive before and this bike seems quite similar and straight forward.I will check out a manual online as suggested and get back to you .thanks again
KCW likes this.

Last edited by Gary Buckley; 04-10-2019 at 07:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:10 PM

Garage
Oops, I'll blame it on my recent eye surgery, or many just a loose connection between eyes and brain. KCW is correct on manual being out there.
KCW likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 07:23 PM
KCW

Garage
is it possible you left a bearing or spacer / washer in the wheel itself when you carried it in to have the tire changed
and it fell out at the shop and no one noticed, or they picked it up and put it backwards?

I vaguely remember taking a wheel from my 650 or Royal star (front wheel) to the shop, and there was something in the wheel that easily came out, nothing was holding it in...

Last edited by KCW; 04-10-2019 at 07:27 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:30 PM Thread Starter

Kcw you hit the nail on the head.I just came in from the shop and while there I removed the wheel again and gave it a good eyeballing .When I shined the light into the drive side I could see that the roller bearings were exposed for about 1.5 ".A spacer or collar that runs on the needle bearing must have fallen out at the shop.I was very careful caring them out to my vehicle so It must have fallen out in the shop as did the opposite side collar as it was put in backwards .Thanks again.I will keep you posted.
lesblank likes this.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:58 PM
KCW

Garage
when you venture out into unknown territory, its the things that you dont know, and you dont know that you dont know them.. .those are the ones that get you

and the "unknown unknowns" are the things you can only learn from experience

hopefully from someone else's experience, but sometimes from your own.

In my case, I carefully followed the service manual procedure for removing the front wheel,
and it did not say anything about that other thing in wheel being able to fall out....

I was just lucky that I noticed it while setting the wheel down at the shop.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 05:29 PM Thread Starter

I hear you.I received the missing part from the shop today and when I placed it into the wheel I realized that it hadn't fallen out.He had to push it out past the seal.Something like this could have easely been put together and not tested until a person hit the road. From my years of experience putting anything together like this ,I tend to check as I am tightening as I did this time.I t was such a simple process to reinstall and it really threw me for a loop as to what was causing it.It pays to read a manual when in unchartered water sometimes.Thanks for all the help and I hope this post helps someone else out.
lesblank likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode