Just purchased a 1996 Royal Star. - Page 4 - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Interesting, not leaking... According to past owner they said valve job and oil was done last fall. Clutch feels great when selecting gears etc. Only time I notice the issue is when I am already in a gear 1st or 2nd and I hammer the throttle. It acts like the clutches aren't grabbing properly. Never have an issue with actually shifting up or down gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:24 PM

Sounds to me like a slipping clutch. Might just need clutch springs....Barnett is a very good brand for clutch and/or springs....I'd likely buy both. (Once I installed new Barnett clutch springs on a low mileage Vstar 650 at age 80.....It was easy except for the gasket, but I got it done and it ran very well after that.)

Bob
Raider_Rider likes this.

Grace + Peace,

Bob
2007 Vstar 650.
1994 Honda Magna V4
1995 BMW K75, 3 cyl
1994 Kawasaki Vulcan 500
2004 Honda Rebel 250
post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 05-22-2019, 05:58 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider_Rider View Post
Interesting, not leaking... According to past owner they said valve job and oil was done last fall. Clutch feels great when selecting gears etc. Only time I notice the issue is when I am already in a gear 1st or 2nd and I hammer the throttle. It acts like the clutches aren't grabbing properly. Never have an issue with actually shifting up or down gears.
Engine oil is the number 1 cause of clutch issues in motorcycles, google it. If it was me and I had not changed the oil since I've owned the bike I would start there. One of the first things I've always done on any vehicle I bought was an oil change, it can tell you so much about the bike. Changing oil is a lot easier and cheaper than replacing clutch. If your bike does need a clutch, Barnett is a great product, I've used them several times without any issues. With a non hydraulic clutch the pull can be a lot stiffer due to stronger springs, not sure how that would effect a hydraulic clutch.
Yamaha Pat likes this.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode