Royal Star Valve Adjustment/Check - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
kam

Royal Star Valve Adjustment/Check

I’m afraid I’m approaching 26,600 MI on my Royal Star, and it’s about time for the first valve adjustment. I called a couple of dealers and was quoted about $800-900 for the job.

I’m mechanically astute, and wouldn’t mind tackling the job myself. However, I can’t seem to find instructions for the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. I currently have a 2005.

I’ve searched the threads here and have come across instructions for the 650 and the 950, but not the Royal Star.

I’ve no parts (yet), and don’t mind getting them, once I know what it is to get. I’ve checked out the service manual from manualslib online, but there aren’t any detailed instructions there.

I’m afraid I don’t know where else to turn, save for the dealership wanting $800 bucks. Would anyone have any suggestions for manuals, tools, walkthroughs, lessons learned, etc? Anything I may have overlooked or not searched properly? I’m all ears.

Thanks in advance
KCW likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:18 PM
KCW

Garage
we are not suppose to link to other MC forum websites, but this is the link for the 1998 to 2001? Royal Star Venture factory service manual

see chapter 3 page 7 - its all there:

https://www.venturerider.org/manuals...1616-VZ-01.pdf

Your 2005 should be pretty much the same - I think this manual was published in 2001, but check and make sure your bike is not different somehow.

I dont know what manual you looked at that does not include the instructions for adjusting the valves, are you sure it wasnt the owners manual?
lesblank likes this.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 05:44 PM
KCW

Garage
a couple things about this

the V4 engine does not have adjustable tappets with a lock nut and screw - it has the little disk pads

you can tear the bike down and check the clearance with feeler gauges like any engine, but if any are out of spec you need a special tool to compress the valve spring to allow you to get the disk out. Then you need to get the disk of the right thickness to put the valve at the right clearance.

Its a bit more work, and you will have to run out and get the right disks if you need them (from a dealer I guess). It might take you a few days to do it yourself. Fortunately its only scheduled for every 26,000 miles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
I dont know what manual you looked at that does not include the instructions for adjusting the valves, are you sure it wasnt the owners manual?
It was this manual here:

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/13...Xvz13cttc.html

Being that I bought the bike used, those manuals were the only ones I could lay my hands on.

Thank you for the link! I will definitely give it a read! Forum gods, please bestow grace upon us for linking to other threads lol!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
a couple things about this

the V4 engine does not have adjustable tappets with a lock nut and screw - it has the little disk pads

you can tear the bike down and check the clearance with feeler gauges like any engine, but if any are out of spec you need a special tool to compress the valve spring to allow you to get the disk out. Then you need to get the disk of the right thickness to put the valve at the right clearance.

Its a bit more work, and you will have to run out and get the right disks if you need them (from a dealer I guess). It might take you a few days to do it yourself. Fortunately its only scheduled for every 26,000 miles.
My goal is to order all of the parts to keep me from having the project span multiple days.

I commute to and from work on this bike, and man it’s a blessing. Here in Northern VA, motorcycles can take toll roads and utilize High Occupancy Vehicle (HOV) lanes for free! Some of our tolls are dynamic, meaning that they increase in price as congestion increases. I’ve seen one way tolls as high as $52.

These disks; are they available as a set? Like can I order them and have extras available like one would have extra sockets or screwdrivers?

I really appreciate the help and suggestions!!!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-05-2019, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
kam

KCW, the manual I linked was in fact the correct service manual that I needed.

I performed my searches in that manual via mobile and didn’t realize that the pdf was 500+ pages long!

Even searching the table of contents for the word “valve” didn’t pull up the gold I was looking for!

At any rate, if there are any other RSTD owners out there looking for the supplementary service manual, it’s linked above.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:02 AM

Garage
Section 3, page 7 starts valve adjustment section. It's very detailed.

2001 Vstar 1100 Classic (sold), Cobra Slash Cut full exhaust, Dropped 1 inch with lowering links, ORK, 4.5 inch handlebar risers, Ultimate passenger seat, Passenger pegs moved forward 4 inches, Handlebar clock, KN air filter, Viking saddlebags, Additional rear lighting
Loose nut "me" behind the bars
2006 Harley Electra Glide Ultra Classic

https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100kb/home
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesblank View Post
Section 3, page 7 starts valve adjustment section. It's very detailed.

Les, thanks!

I realized the manual had more to it when I switched from my mobile phone to desktop computer.

For some reason, I couldn’t see all of the manual on phone. But we’re cooking with grease now!
lesblank likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
kam

Thought I’d ask though:

Anyone have the valve tool they wouldn’t mind lending out before I order one online? I saw this one here on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Valve-Shim-...-/192042659944
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-06-2019, 05:39 PM
KCW

Garage
they are called valve shim kits

you have to get a kit of shims that are the right diameter, and you get a box of maybe 32 different sizes with 3 or 4 of each size

and then hope you dont need 16 all the same size

I have never done valve adjustment this way before - usually on engines with the lock nut and screw on a 4 cylinder engine with 8 valves, maybe 2 or 3 would need adjusting

the royal star engine has 16 valves so if it follows the same trend maybe 4 or 6 would need to be changed? I dont know.

The full kits are about $35 from what I googled. Even if the tool is $50, compared to paying a shop $800 that is a deal I will take anyday.

I think you have to drain the coolant to get some hoses out of the way, so its a good time to change the antifreeze, and the fuel filter while you have the tank off, and the air filter because its on top of the carbs and hard to get off.

I would plan on a weekend at least, take your time, and get everything that makes sense to service while you have the carbs off the engine.

I know how you feel about not being able to ride. I took the back wheel from my VS650 to get the tire changed last summer, and it turned into 3 beautiful early summer days with no motorcycle.

Now I have two bikes so a few days down time on one of them is not a problem.
NeTexas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in