How much riding experience? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

How much riding experience?

I've got a 950 and my wife and I have just started riding together. While the 950 is a good bike to go on short trips (< 3 hours), I wouldn't want to ride any longer without additional comfort for her. And she's begging for armrests or grips. Hanging on to the sissy bar is not her idea of fun.

Now, I know that a transition to a tourer at this point would be unwise. I love to ride and treat every ride like it was my very first. And with my wife with me, I'm even more careful.

I know I need more experience. But what I'd like to know is how much riding experience did you feel you had to have before transitioning into a tourer such as this? I'm 5' 5" (pushing 5' 6"), 170 lbs and the Royal looks to be a great bike and one I can put my feet on the ground as well.

And whose still using cassettes in 2010? I was floored when I saw that the Royal still has a cassette player.

Regards,

Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:07 PM

How tall is your sissy bar? My wife has very little experience on a bike and has no problem leaning back on the pad and sitting still. Never feels the need to hang on to anything. The only thing she would like is for the pillion to be a bit bigger....I'm working on that. BTW....mine is an 1100.

As far as the tourer....I'd suggest taking it for a test ride alone. See for yourself if you're comfortable with it. Maybe try it in traffic a little, a few tight corners in a parking lot, stopping slow and fast, and backing it as if parking it.

If you feel comfortable with it....go for it.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

The sissy bar is the standard Yamaha 1" round bar. The backrest pad hits her about middle of her back.

She's fine leaning back, but wants armrests. I've checked out the "Love Handles", but $350 - $400? Really? How come everything for a bike has to be so darn expensive. And they also sell sissy bar extendenders for this sissy bar, which may not be a bad idea.

While I like some of the creature comforts of the Venture, I think the 950 has plenty of power and certainly fits my price range. If only aftermarket folks would get their act together and start putting out better accessories for these bikes.

I'm getting the impression in the after-market arena, that the 950 is like the red headed step-child of the Star lineup.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keys2heaven View Post
The sissy bar is the standard Yamaha 1" round bar. The backrest pad hits her about middle of her back.

She's fine leaning back, but wants armrests. I've checked out the "Love Handles", but $350 - $400? Really? How come everything for a bike has to be so darn expensive. And they also sell sissy bar extendenders for this sissy bar, which may not be a bad idea.

While I like some of the creature comforts of the Venture, I think the 950 has plenty of power and certainly fits my price range. If only aftermarket folks would get their act together and start putting out better accessories for these bikes.

I'm getting the impression in the after-market arena, that the 950 is like the red headed step-child of the Star lineup.
LOL....don't know about that, but yea...accessories can get way out of hand.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:38 PM

$$$$$

Believe Ol Sugar Bear, it ain't just the 950's that the extras are obscene, an oil fill cap for my Silverado was 42 bucks
from the local Yamaha stealer, for a $5 dollar part! I like the shiney sparkle things as well as the next guy, but lets get real. A piece of crome the size of a silver dollar, about 100 bucks. For a poor country boy, that is out of sight. Don't have any answers for it, just the way it is. Just wanted to say you are not alone with this super hyper cost for assy stuff.Have fun and Ride Safe.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Sugar Bear for that. How true.

Found a link to a product that will fit the 950. Pricey for all the pieces/parts, but cheaper than upgrading to new bike at the moment. About $1000 all together.

http://www.scootworks.com/shop.cgi/p...20235700.19532

Guess I wasn't looking hard enough

At least I can make the wife happy now!

Ride Safe!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-14-2010, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Finally sat on a Venture

Was out an about on Friday and stopped in at local Yamaha dealer. They've got a pretty good used inventory selection and there were a variety of bikes to swing my leg over on. Sat on a Stratoliner, a Goldwing, a few Harley's (Ultra glide's), A Kawasaki Vulcan Voyager and finally the Road Star Venture.

Let me say now, that my 5' 5" frame was having considerable trouble just getting it off the side stand. It is very top heavy (at least to me), and I can not see me trying to get my wife on this and cruise down the road. It's a beautiful bike, but one I don't think fits me. I can say the same for the Voyager as well; another top heavy bike.

I was very pleasantly surprised at the balance and seat height of the Goldwing. Very, very nice. I liked the bar position and it felt very comfortable. And, the Harley's were also balanced well, with a nice layout on the fairing.

So, in conclusion, for now I will stick with my 950. Miles are miles and I will enjoy each one no matter what I'm riding, but at least I know now what "feels" right to me. Of course, there's actual handling/peformace but that will have to wait for a future date.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 04:00 PM

Just spending the money for better seat would make a big difference.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 08-19-2010, 08:52 PM

Hang on

I see most passengers do hold onto the sissy bar. But it is not in a good posotion for that. My Wife just holds onto me. Seems to work well.

I have considered a custom back rest that wraps around a little. Like the ones on some trunks.

I did also spring for a wider thicker passenger seat and floor boards. Cruisers will never have a comfortable passenger seat but some improvements cane be made.

The Venture and BMW are a little top heavy. The only place this is a problem is at very low speed or stopped. Not a problem on the road. We have a Stratoliner. I have said if I spring for a touring bike I would keep the Liner for me. I would stop and let the wife off before I park the bike when riding the touring bike. I think you would need a few months experience before making a move to a touring bike.

Dave
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-27-2011, 07:31 PM

If you are going to keep the 950 you might look at these trunks. I have one and really like it and not expensive.

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...=21&s=prod.php
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode