ridin in the rain - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

ridin in the rain

Hi Guys,
I just rode my RSTD to Tybee Island, Ga and back- ended up in rain to where the windshield was fogging on the inside- visibility was poor at best. In fact I could see better trying to see over the windshield. Any products available to keep this from happening??
thanks,
Ken
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM

The windshield should be adjusted correctly. You should always be looking over the windshield.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 07:58 PM

rain -x or rain-x antifog

Mitch M.
Winfield ,KS
2010 strat deluxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchm1 View Post
rain -x or rain-x antifog

NO!!!!! it will ruin plexiglass!!!!!! use Plexus or some other stuff made for plexi.. If you have an aftermarket Clearview shield it Rain-X will not ruin it, but they still do not recommend it..

Personally I use Pledge Wipes. (non-scented because the lemon ones can attract bees in the summer) And I have a Venture with an XXL Clearview that cannot be looked over at all.

One of the problems with the stock RSTD or Venture shields is the angle does not promote the wind blowing off the rain, even if you use Plexus or Pledge. I like looking through the shield, and the Clearview, on the Venture at least, has more angle to help the wind blow the water off once you are moving.. I also have the Goldwing vent in my shield, which keeps air moving on the inside of the shield to help with fogging too.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-27-2010, 08:50 PM

Rain

Ken,

Ben there done that. My windsield is about nose high so I can lean down a bit or sit up and look over it. My best view in the rain is, no glasses, looking over the windshield, through a face mask. So I am only looking through only one layer of wet glass or plastic that is close to my eyes. There is enough spray that the glasses would eventuly get wet.

I don't always have a face mask so I don't want to stick my head up in the rain. Rain drops sting. In this case I look through the windshield, with Glasses on. Two layers of wet glass or plastic.

I keep wax on my windshield. I keep a can of cleaner polish in my bag. I can clean bugs off without scratching the windshield and water beads up. Yamaha or Honda cleaner polish does not harm the windshield.

Dave
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Banned

there is "wet" and there is "fog". I don't see a lot of help here for "fog". When the w/s is just wet, I can slow the pace down a little and deal with the reduced and slightly distorted vision.

I use the Honda cleaner regularly and it does seem to help shed water but I've seen it also cause excessive fogging (abrupt temperature change along with other humidity factors)

For rain - my best friend is the gloves with a fleece back and swipe at the w/s as needed.

The fleece back is also nice for the cold morning ride runny nose phenomenon. (wash on a regular basis)

Last edited by stratowart; 09-28-2010 at 10:36 AM. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratowart View Post
For rain - my best friend is the gloves with a fleece back and swipe at the w/s as needed.
My best friend is a motel room

Quote:
The fleece back is also nice for the cold morning ride runny nose phenomenon. (wash on a regular basis)
LOL...definitely wash regularly
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 05:03 PM

When It was raining was my only free time, to visit my brother 250 miles away. I enjoy riding in a light rain, but not in lightening. I never looked thru a windshield.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 07:21 PM

Sugar Bear is a big fan of Lucas products, a while back, he ran across "Lucas Slick Mist" it's a speed wax, wipe on wipe off. Makes bugs and stuff slide off very good( and gives a great easy shine) rain seems to do the same, at least that is how it has worked for me.

Ride Safe, Live Long
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Banned

don't you mean it worked well for him?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode