Royal Star clutch slipping - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

Royal Star clutch slipping

My 07 RSTD's clutch has started to slip on me. It's only got 27k miles on it and I thought that to be a bit premature. Is this a common issue with these bikes? I don't ride it hard, no trailer pulling or anything that might make it work harder than it should.
Is there anything I can do for an upgrade aside from replacing the clutch friction discs and spring? Would a spring from another model be an option....say maybe from an earlier model VMax?...Just a thought because I used to own a Kaw Vulcan 1500 and found out a spring from a Mean Streak to be more "heavy duty"
Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 12:50 PM
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Well, I've had the bike since Feb this year, and have put about 7k miles on it. I've changed the oil 3 times in that time frame, and incidentally I used Yamalube 15-50 full synthetic this time. Previously I used Valvoline 20-50 full synthetic (motorcycle specific) and had no slippage problems. I notice it just yesterday start to slip (mainly in 5th gear). Don't know about the previous owner's maintenance (or lack thereof).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:07 PM

7k and 3 oil changes in 6 months ??? That's overkill...There is such a thing as changing it too often but I won't get into specifics.

I would dump it and go with something else. Actually surprised you were using 20-50 pretty sure 10 or 20-40 was recommended ? Could be wrong. Probably could be related. Not sure though.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 06:25 PM

The Barnett Clutch Spring Conversion and Plates seems pretty heavy duty.

http://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Clutch-Spring-Conversion-511-90-10002/dp/B000GRXT50#productDetailshttp://www.amazon.com/Barnett-Clutch-Plate-Kit-306-90-20082/dp/B004O41EJO/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y
But, just a good EBC kit will do you good for a long time to come without the conversion hassle.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/ebc-brakes-.../p2027893.jcwx

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-20-2013, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah, I know it seems like overkill, I guess I',m kinda anal that way. The manual states to use either 10w40 or 20w40....dealer never heard of 20w40 when I asked him about it. Also, I figured because it gets pretty darn hot here in the Phoenix area that maybe changing it more often would be better...oh well, still learning about this particular bike.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2013, 03:29 PM

Have you tried changing the fluid in the clutch assist reservoir ? A friend with and 06 RSTD had the same thing happen. Thought the clutch was slipping. We changed the fluid and it was perfect then.. Look at it in your sight glass, if it a lot darker than the brake reservoir then that could well be your problem.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Haven't tried that yet, but will give it a shot....fluid does look a bit dark. Also, switching to 10w40 oil seemed to help quite a bit.
Thanks for the replies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode