Part-time Smoke - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Part-time Smoke

I bought a 97 RS with 10k miles on it. It is in really good shape in that it rides well and no obvious issues except this. Twice now since I've had the bike (two months) I've made a left turn and there was a pretty large expulsion of smoke (blue) out of the pipes. I can't tell if it was one side or the other and its only happened twice.

Outside of what was described there are no other symptoms, power is good, no large consumption of oil, although I've had to use sea foam for a few times as the bike sat for a while. Any ideas on what could be going on?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 02:04 PM

Is your crankcase overfilled? What has your plug inspection revealed? What symptom prompted you to use the sea foam? Is you air filter/housing sitting in a bath of oil?

I'm just guessing until the technically advanced come along, but I would suspect oil coming through the breather and into the intake or worn valve seals leaking oil through the stem.

2013 V Star 1300 Deluxe
OEM Tall Sissy Bar
Memphis Shades Fork Deflectors
Bridgestone Exedra Max Belted Tires
Baron's RSTD 7308 bar
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-06-2013, 03:48 PM

Seems like it. Try rigging up a jig to put your bike at the lean angle you were at and fire her up and rev it. Might be leaking if it's at a certain lean angle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM

Overfilled crankcase with oil...with only 10k miles, should not have any valve issues yet. Check you plugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode