What are your take alongs? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 06:19 AM Thread Starter

What are your take alongs?

I ride an 05 Royal Star Tour Deluxe. Are there common problems seen with these models?

Regardless of what you ride, please share with me what you take along and consider a necessity when you ride. Only thing extra I have on my bike is my registration and a smile.

Necessary tools, or, common failed parts.

Food, Clothing, etc?

One fella I came across actually carried a canned gasoline (about a quart). I never knew something like that even existed!

I haven't rode in years so I am looking forward to some sound feedback...and a few laughs (I hope).

Thank you one and all,
Lonerider
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 09:44 AM

I usually carry a set of Frogg Toggs (rain suit) in the saddlebags. Registration and insurance card are in a Zip-Loc bag in the compartment with the bike's tool roll. I don't carry spare parts, oil, or fuel. If I plan to travel considerable distances from home I sometimes carry a water bottle (I use an old GI plastic canteen, which I fill about 2/3 full and freeze overnight, then fill the rest of the way on the day of the ride).

If you want to carry extra fuel, you have to consider safety. Any decent sporting goods store will carry MSR (brand) fuel bottles designed for campers. These are labelled to carry camp stove fuel only, but since camp stove fuel is mighty close to gasoline, many use them. They are pricey and the largest holds about a quart. One of those and a piece of fuel line about three feet long will allow you to siphon fuel from one tank to another via the bottle.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 AM

Garage
Smile

Since I'm a Type 1 diabetic I always have snack bars along and also an insulin pen. Haven't had to use them yet but if the need arises I'm prepared. I also have my rain suit in my carry all bag.

Working on my 'bucket list' and enjoying every minute of it!!

Old V Star Man
2007 V Star 1100 Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 12:26 PM

I have hard/lockable saddle bags so one always has the following in it
  • the two inner liners for my jacket (warmth and wind layers)
  • spare gloves (I carry 3 pairs most of the time - thinsulate liners for when it's cold at night, fully armored leather gloves for colder days or freeway riding and thinner synthetic gloves for hotter city driving)
  • bag of bungy cords (I use my bike to go to the supermarket a lot)
  • a rag to clean the mirrors/windscreen
  • a quality tire pressure gauge
  • if it's hot or a long trip I take a Nalgene bottle or two of water

And there is the OEM tool kit with my licence and rego. Have to hope I never break down on the side of the road though 'cos I've tried to work with those tools once just to see if they were any good and I gave up in frustration and went back to my garage tools pretty quickly

'06 VStar 1100 Classic - black with ghost flames!
Cobra sissy bar and luggage rack
National Cycle windshield
National Cycle quick release hardbags
Lindby engine guard
Driving lights mounted to engine guard

More to come when I save enough cash!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-24-2014, 10:01 PM

For me it depends what time of year and how far we're going. If we're just doing a trip under say 200 miles I just throw in a riding jacket if we're coming back after sunset and usually a couple bottles of water. My rain gear, gloves, air pressure gauge, a couple micro-fiber towels and tools that came with the bike are always left in my bags. That's about it, I guess there's only so many things you can prepare for in case of a break down.

2008/ 1300 V Star
Kuryakyn Pro R hypercharger
Road Burner 2.5" Street Pros
Dyno-Jet fuel processor
Yamaha OEM Passing lamps
Yamaha OEM highway bars Kuryakyn pegs
Tsukayu Strong JUMBO hard bags
Wicked Lightening green LED's
Kuryakyn Triple Whammy
RecklessMotorcycles fairing w/Rockford Fosgate amp
Klock Werk 6.5" windshield

V&H Big Shots for sale
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:02 AM Thread Starter

I appreciate the feedback. I find the feedback to be both interesting and helpful as I haven't rode in years. You know what they say..."Luck favors the prepared". So far I gather most everyone keeps it minimal, simple. I can appreciate that. So, I will put together a necessities list based on feedback I get here and prepare myself the best I can.
Lonerider
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 06:54 AM

Don't forget the most important take-alongs. A charged cell phone, a credit card, and your emergency road service card. I didn't think of those earlier, because I routinely carry them in the car or on the bike.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-25-2014, 08:47 AM

Here are the, "always on the bike" list for me:

Tire plugs, guage, CO2 cartridges and nozzle. I found a really nice nozzle that uses the screw in cartridges and has a valve so you can regulate the pressure. I've only used it on others I've stopped to help.

I carry a first aid kit in a large zip lock, as a former paramedic I feel useless without some basics.

Zip Ties, a leatherman tool and a few bungees. I always wear my Motoport jacket & pants, up to around 95 degrees and then I sometimes shed the jacket. If I'm going out of the immediate area I carry the rain/wind liners too. We bungee the jackets on top of the tail bag if it gets too hot.

Microfiber towels and this windshield cleaner, "210". This stuff is amazing, designed for plexiglass. Some say it's just Pledge furniture polish, I'm not sure about that but it makes cleaning simple, takes the bugs off and with the towels never leaves a scratch.

Probably sounds like a lot, but with all that we still made a 12 day trip riding 2 up. Hard bags and a fairly large soft tail bag carried enough for both of us.

The photo is at the, James Dean" memorial, at the site of his fatal crash. Jackets strapped to the tail bag.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	James Dean Memorial 1.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	35201  

Last edited by Safety Don; 08-25-2014 at 08:51 AM. Reason: add photo
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2014, 10:07 AM

Set of allen wrenches, pliers, leatherman's tool, driver with interchangable bits, small set of wrenches, microfiber cloth, extra safety glasses, riding gloves, zip ties, bungee cord, bungee net, tire plug kit, Gorilla Glue (better than super glue) and I have SO learned my lesson.. extra hand grip/throttle control. Twice i've been on the side of the road because of this.
I also have 12v power outlets, one in a saddle bag, and one on my bars. Always take a phone charger!

To be old and wise, first, you must be young and stupid. I've really got the young part out of the way now.

Last edited by dq78133; 11-11-2014 at 10:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode