Royal star venture right for me? - Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Royal star venture right for me?

Hi all. I have been trying to make my 1100 a better all around bike but I think for what I am wanting I may be barking up the wrong tree with my 1100. I found a 05 royal star venture at one of the loacal dealers been there 3 months no one is interested I could possibly trade my bike straight across for the rsv. It's an 05 60k on it. It's clean they say it runs great. I want a comfortable bike my wife and I can go on more then an hour trip without needing to get off the bike. I am ordering a seat I'm sure will help with that but I think having a taller bike will help my posture. My friend has a low mile 96 royal star his bike is nice but the thing is a snail. I'm worried this will run like his granted I don't expect it to be blazing fast like a vmax but for the engine size I would like some get up and go keep up with the Harley's I ride with. My 1100 cannot keep up and I don't want to always be the one left behind. Would this bike be a good choice? I love how reliable our brand is I don't want a harley again

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 07:21 PM

Another choice you may like to consider is the V Star 1300, it will give you what your looking for enough power to keep up with the 103 HD`s more saddle room for your wife, very smooth running bike better gearing for the highways.

87' 1100 Sportster (caffeine runner)
05' 1100 Custom Midnight Edition
07' 1300 V Star Tourer
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 08:15 PM

Roadstar all day. 1600-1700 cc/98-102ci. Purrs at 80. Fire-breathing dragon or gentle giant depending on your throttle action. Pretty much guaranteed to far exceed 100,000 miles if you keep the oil changed.

The Royal Star is a V4 but it's still only a 1300. It won't perform well alongside those Harleys because it's an entirely different beast all together. Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice touring bike, but it's not going to do what you're looking for.

I suspect you already know this because you mentioned your buddy's 96 Royal Star. You should expect fairly similar performance out of a 2005. They surely haven't changed much since then, considering the 2013 models still came with cassette decks.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

2003 XVS650A V Star Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-30-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Thanks to the responses I've hear that for example my friends 96 has 70hp and the newer ones close to 96 any truth to this. I can't find anything that confirms this online???

2008 V-Star Silverado 1100. K&N filter, airbox mod passenger floor boards, all light visors, ISO grips, Cobra slash cut mufflers, Saddleman touring seat/ tourpack. Lots of little extras.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 01:59 AM
GEZ

Test drive one, I think you'll be impressed. 98 HP from 1300 cc. It's an engine that likes to rev. Wind it up, let it run. It's not a rocket ship, but surely not a slouch. Third gear tops out at 90. Several of my Harley owner buddies have commented on my pulling away from them.

While I enjoy both my bikes. I actually like riding the Venture over the Road Star. My opinion, the RSV is quicker and more responsive than the RS. RS is more nimble and easier to handle in parking lots.

A clean, maintained '05 with only 60k miles is a good affordable bike .

'08 Royal Star Venture
'07 Road Star Silverado
'04 V Star 650 Classic
Lovin' it
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 05:41 AM

RSV is quite possibly more responsive, I'll give you that. I feel like that's a major difference between operating at 2800 rpms vs 3800+ rpms at cruising speed.

I'm admittedly a little biased because I think air-cooled v-twin when I picture my ideal motorcycle. Low rpms at cruising speed was one of my major selection criteria too. It's unfair for me to try and compare things that are just different.

Agreed on the test drive thing. When I bought my most recent bike the guy offered to let me ride it straight away. That helped me establish trust in him because it clearly showed it was a reliable machine. You're making a good choice with any Star. Good luck on your decision.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
SSC

I think I might head over to that dealer next weekend see if the bike is still there kick the tires a bit besides I need to see about a new rear tire for mine and brake pads. That's kinda the only down side I have had with the 1100 seems it likes to eat pads but then most my riding is in the city as of right now. Kinda sad I only got 4k from this rear tire but kinda the name of the game. I know it's a different style machine but the one biggest issue I've had it just seems like the 1100 I have is not geared well and spins fairly high Rpms on the highway 75 but it seems like at 55 5th gear is useless kinda strange.

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 03:46 PM

What brand were those tires? I pay a little extra for my preferred Michelins. Any savings from cheap tires gets eaten up by more frequent dealer installation charges for me. Maybe I'll learn how to do the installs one day.

Ben C - Cary, NC

2001 XV1600A Road Star

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by pangea33 View Post
What brand were those tires? I pay a little extra for my preferred Michelins. Any savings from cheap tires gets eaten up by more frequent dealer installation charges for me. Maybe I'll learn how to do the installs one day.
The rear tire is a Dunlop 303 series it's the ones they sell that are branded for harley. I had one on my wide glide seemed ok on bike never liked the on on my vstar back end just seemed kinda loose sad it's stickier now that it's bald! I have a shinko tour master in the front now. It's got the raised hard center section for highway riding I know there a cheaper tire but I'm very impressed. I would like to get a rear tire that will last on the back would be nice to go 8k before needing a new rear tire like the original tire

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 08-31-2014, 11:26 PM
GEZ

SSC, as you mentioned the RSV is a higher revving bike, it's built that way. Around town with 45 mph limits third gear is fine. 40 mph in fourth is not comfortable and I rarely use 5th under 60 mph. Highway cruising, 5th gear at 85 mph is very comfortable, for both the bike and it's passengers. Hard to hear the radio though, mine has Road King mufflers and barks a bit. Need passing speed, kick it down to 4th, twist your wrist, you're in triple digits.

I average around 35 mpg. On speed managed trips, I've gotten well over 40 mpg. I've got over 8k miles on the Exedra Max rear tire. It's due for replacement soon.

'08 Royal Star Venture
'07 Road Star Silverado
'04 V Star 650 Classic
Lovin' it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Star Motorcycle Forums: Star Raider, V-Max, V-Star, Road-Star Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode